Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oil in intake, pcv is not bad. what to do?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in intake, pcv is not bad. what to do?

So my idle is high. I tried to adjust the set screw with no result. Did some searching and decided to start with cleaning my throttle body. Took off the intake tube (K&N), and surprise! Oil was dripping out of it. Started searching again. Pcv, pcv, pcv. So I took it out.(PITFA) It rattled, still cleaned it out. By the way, just had the motor completely rebuilt. Tranny too(kit from marlin-crawler). Motor has about 6000 on it from the rebuild. So I'm at a loss. Please help. Also, any help on the high idle would be greatly appreciated. THANKS THANKS THANKS in advance.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 PM

By the way, my CEL is on. If the truck sits for a while, it isn't on when I start it. But it comes on pretty soon. Speaking of stating, on a cold start, I have to give it some gas to keep it running. Then there is this magical amount of time when, bang. Runs like a champ all the sudden, minus the idle being between 1600 and 2000 rpm. She has some bugs, but it has great power and my gas milage went from 12-14 too 16-19 post rebuild. HELP HELP HELP. THANKS
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the CEL tell us?
Oil in intake could be normal especially if it wasn't cleaned out at rebuild or it could be a serious internal issue.

Reguardless I run a oil separator on my PCV line and remove it once a year for the Smog Natzis here in Cali.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM

I haven't had the code checked. I work a lot. Layed of now so I'm trying to iron out the details on the lay off. But the K&N was installed at rebuild, so thats ruled out. Hope there isn't any internal problems! Thats many $1000s spent. And about this seperator? Pics, right up maybe? I'll do a search. What I dont understand is the pcv valve is on the passenger side. Then there is the hose from the driver side valve cover to the intake. It seems that is where the separator should go. Why not have a check valve there from the factory? It seems that the intake is just sucking oil right outta the valve cover uninhibited. The K&N ddnt change this design aspect from factory. Anyway, what is the best solution hear?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM

Will check the code tomorrow by the way
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 PM

oil in intake? what are you driving? i know for my t100 the 5vz fe is normal to have some oil in the intake manifold... but if you have oil dripping that could be bad oil blow by. that is a big problem that happens if you install piston rings upside down. or the rings are worn down. there aren't a lot of reasons to my knowledge for having oil in your intake. could be a major issue.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Im going to try this oil seperator idea. But the high idle?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Did you find out what that trouble code was for? What year and model do you have? What motor?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM

The idle can be a few reasons. Look into the mass air sensor. Usually you can clean it up a little with some parts cleaner but make sure it's dry before hooking back up.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 PM

Just as heads up, the 3vze's air flow sensor isnt "clean-able" like most modern air flow sensors. Its simply a vane with a potentiometer.

Thats not says it wouldnt be your issue, but if it is, expect to replace it
Old 04-22-2013, 05:00 PM

I've got the 3.4. In a 98 t100. you can give it a few shots with parts cleaner to break away any sort of build-up. Just make sure it's dry before plugging back in. I've done it and it actually helped me get by till I could afford a new one.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM

So I cleaned the TB and the MAF. I see what you mean 4runnerjunkie. But I cleaned it anyway because the oil had drained all the way down and was dripping out of it and the K&N. I came up with some good ole southern engineering. I bought some fittings, an oil separator(like for an air compressor) and some hose. I would post pics but im not sure how with my phone.but essentially I just spliced in the separator on the hose. My throttle body and plenum were full uf some serious gunk. I removed what I could. But im going to look into an after mwrket TB & maybe an intake if there is such a thing available. Anyway, blah blah blah. The idle issue was from vacuum leaks. I found 4! Like hoses the dude didnt hook up on the build! Grrrr!!!! But its idling at 800ish now! Whooo. Thanks for all the help gents
Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SkybluYota
So I cleaned the TB and the MAF. I see what you mean 4runnerjunkie. But I cleaned it anyway because the oil had drained all the way down and was dripping out of it and the K&N. I came up with some good ole southern engineering. I bought some fittings, an oil separator(like for an air compressor) and some hose. I would post pics but im not sure how with my phone.but essentially I just spliced in the separator on the hose. My throttle body and plenum were full uf some serious gunk. I removed what I could. But im going to look into an after mwrket TB & maybe an intake if there is such a thing available. Anyway, blah blah blah. The idle issue was from vacuum leaks. I found 4! Like hoses the dude didnt hook up on the build! Grrrr!!!! But its idling at 800ish now! Whooo. Thanks for all the help gents
right on dude. that idle sounds about right. 750-900 is right were it should be. my 5vz idles at about 750. it's nice fixin problems yourself isn't it? haha to me that's the biggest joy. knowing my truck runs great because of my own hands. :-)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM

^hells yeah man. If you read my sig, I did all of it except for the motor & tranny. 3 weeks it took to rebuild my front end in my driveway. But all of the sudden both valve covers are leaking lik a sieve! I did some googlin and I read about the fact that the covers are plastic and warp. So im gonna look into that. I feel like payong someone to do a full rebuild, they would replace the covers. Anyway, thats why the yora is a money pit. Its never done!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by SkybluYota
^hells yeah man. If you read my sig, I did all of it except for the motor & tranny. 3 weeks it took to rebuild my front end in my driveway. But all of the sudden both valve covers are leaking lik a sieve! I did some googlin and I read about the fact that the covers are plastic and warp. So im gonna look into that. I feel like payong someone to do a full rebuild, they would replace the covers. Anyway, thats why the yora is a money pit. Its never done!
haha yea it ain't never done. and yup both my covers leak like no tomorrow. i replaced those gaskets when i had to pull off the passenger side head. damn spark plug backed out and did it's damage before i noticed. shot outta the head and into the middle coil pack. had to pull the head off and have the middle plug hole machined and have a spark plug insert installed. i learned a lot from that haha. did that in my driveway. funny thing is i had some guys i worked with at nissan who said don't do it you dunno wtf you gotta do. pulled up the procedure on alldata then rolled up to the shop and told em to put it in their pipe and smoke it. haha. only took about 7 1/2 hours start to finish minus the down time wile the head was at the machine shop. only cost 55 to have them work on it. but retarded me forgot about the temp sensor plug against the firewall so the the temp gauge didn't read. ended up pullin stuff apart till i found what i missed. and keep in mind you wont see that sensor so you have to kinda know it's there since it's hidden back under the fuel rail next to the firewall i belive. been a few years since i did the job.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you by chance oil the k&n filter, when you installed it ? The guy at the parts store told my brother to oil his before installing it, he didn't see the wrapper warning and oiled it anyway. It fouled things up pretty good.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 PM

Ive cleaned and oiled it several times since the install. I follow the instructions and use K&N brand maintenance kit. besides, the K&N oil is red, the oil coming out was black. but i think i got that issue wacked. thanks though