Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil in the bell housing... again.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in the bell housing... again.

SO!
I rebuild my engine (including new clutch.rear main) some time ago, and about 1k miles later found oil in the bell housing. Looked like it was coming from the tranny side, so I pulled the tranny. Input bearing was bad, but in pulling that I broke my input shaft SO, new input shaft, bearing and seal, resurfaced flywheel, cleaned clutch, ect. Then about 5k miles later, oil in the bell housing... SO, I did some research, learned about the infamous crankshaft groove, bought a seal saver and rear main from LCE, pulled the tranny, installed seal saver and seal with the seal back about 1mm, and slapped her back together, very excited to be done. 200 miles later, oil in the bell housing, definitely gear oil due to the color (I changed the oil when the did the rear main)

Is there a seal saver for the input shaft?

Has anyone encountered such bell housing woes?

I'm in a 1987 4x4 with the G52 transmission.

Let me know,
Thanks!
-Jackson
Old 12-05-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you remember to grease the seal lips before install? If you didn't it essentially gets ran dry and wont last long. If its a new shaft it shouldn't have a wear groove in only 5000 miles so i wouldnt think a ready sleeve or seal saver should be in order. Also if seals arent set perfectly flush they wont last long. Could be a factory defect and you just got a bad seal?

Last edited by ChinkTruck; 12-05-2016 at 07:20 PM.