Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

not your average miss on 2 seperate cylinders! feed me feedback please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not your average miss on 2 seperate cylinders! feed me feedback please!

Hey all, first time poster and user on this forum.( though i've used it to solve a couple promblems in the past and you rock!) i will start with basics-
1993 4runner sr5 4x4- 227k on the clock
bought a couple months ago with some known issues

with that being said i will get to the point and my side of things that i have done.(keep in mind I'm a 6 yr old self teacher, and know a decent amount of things and the idea behind engines and trannys and have even rebuilt a couple heads and transmissions so far with much success, but still very much learning!)

got it at 224 and could not even get up to 45 mph.....but started and idled just fine, so i bought and brought home!

vafm was shot, cat was clooged as well as indefinetly the fuel filter. changed it all, helped a great deal but either is still missing or just started on cylinders 1 and 6. i swapped injectors for newer,cleaner ones thinking a lot of crap got pushed through the system and clogged them up...NOTHING, tryed swapping cylinders around with good firing ones.....NOTHING changed. did up the pump for s's and giggles. after opening up, and taking a look, probably needed it any how, but didn't help out there.

i will quit babbling and get to the symptoms-

starts and idles fine after warm up like it should, DOES NOT MISS AT IDLE, only under any kind of load can you notice the loss of power and miss and the fact that i can drive it on level ground decently enough.....but as soon as i touch any kind of incline (no matter what gear or rpms im at) i watch my rpm's just fall.. doesn't mtter how much of a head start i get nor how fast i go...ANY incline and it will just fall off. i notice i get most of the stumbling at lower rpms and although its less stumbly at higher rpms, it's still very well noticable, and takes me forever to get up to speeds. NO cel codes no NON stored when i jumper the terminals under the hood. timing is on and although i cant hear a difference in idle when i jumper the wires, when i throw a timing light on there i can see the timing advance and retard when setting so it's not my tps.(thinking i can't hear it due to the fact im running on 4 cylinders) dry compression test goes as follows cyl 1- 165 cyl 2- 160 cyl 3-185 cyl 4-180 cyl 5-185 and cyl 6- 160.

no water in oil or vice versa but one thing i will note is that i was losing a little bit of water.... maybe chaulk it up to like a qt every 2 weeks or so, so i used some headgasket sealer and since then haven't lost a drop hardly....

and last but not least i will note that within the last couple weeks i've noticed my idle behaving rather irratically- as in sometimes it's right at 750-800 where it should be, sometimes (usually after warmed up) it will jump down to like 3-400 and idle real low for awhile (i notice it after coming to a stop at a light or something) sometimes it will be at 5-600 sometimes it will idle at 1000.....usually when it drops off low i adjust the idle up to normal and it will stay that way for awhile(im not 100% but that may just be my idle screw being loose and jumping around on it's own...idk....)

with this all being said i know it's kinda all over the place but hopefully someone can make sense of it and help me out here. trying to give as much info as possible. all regular maintainence things are up to date, and all other things electronically check out on an ohm meter. and since my cat was clogged, i just poked out the middle and put it back in for now....
one last note.. I'm lucky to see 10-11 mpg ON THE FREEWAY. i watch my gas gauge fall down literally on trips 20-30 miles or so....no leaks though. thats it for now, im off to check the injector connections with a noid light as we speak.
anything is appreciated. thanks in advance!!