YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   No water leaking from AC. Should I be worried? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/no-water-leaking-ac-should-i-worried-234586/)

tardman91 05-02-2011 11:06 AM

No water leaking from AC. Should I be worried?

It seems to me as though I don't notice very much water leaking from my AC after I turn the truck off lately. It seems as if when I first got it a couple of weeks ago every time I turned it off and parked it in the garage there was a little puddle that formed. Now I don't get that.
My power steering pump started leaking recently too, which I'm not tooo concerned about because it's a slow leak. Could they have anything to do with each other?
Lately I've just been running the air on low because it's pretty icy once the car cools down, and mostly been taking short trips of 5 miles or less. Could that be the reason I'm not dripping water? Just want to make sure it's not part of a larger issue that could be brewing.
Thanks

justin_4runner 05-02-2011 11:16 AM

u might have a little bit of stuff blocking the hole but if ur using it for short trips u might not get that much water from it, and no they are not connected with your power steering and the ac. also look on the passanger side floor and see if its wet could be leaking back inside. just use your hand and feel. no need to pull carpet or anything.

tardman91 05-02-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner (Post 51714475)
u might have a little bit of stuff blocking the hole but if ur using it for short trips u might not get that much water from it, and no they are not connected with your power steering and the ac. also look on the passanger side floor and see if its wet could be leaking back inside. just use your hand and feel. no need to pull carpet or anything.

Thanks. I checked the passenger side and it's dry. I fired up the truck and put the AC on high for about 5 minutes and I had some condensation dripping. I'll pick up some pipe cleaner and make sure that line is nice and clear.

James Woods 05-02-2011 12:37 PM

Pipe cleaner might not be the best thing, they sell stuff made for the evaporator drain.

qdude79 05-02-2011 04:05 PM

Check that the small pipe that runs through the firewall is attached inside the cab. Mine wasn't, just hanging there, and leaked A TON of water inside before I reattached. No big deal, it was summer and one day with the windows down took care of it, but it was definitely avoidable.

corax 05-02-2011 04:15 PM

you can use a little bit of compressed air to clear the drain from outside the vehicle.

It won't drip as much water when the air is dry, more humidity = more water removed from the air

DJ99 05-02-2011 04:25 PM

I was horrified to lift the passenger carpet to run a wire and find that it was soaking wet underneath because the little AC drain tube to the firewall came off. I lifted the carpet up and aimed a heater in there until it was perfectly dry again. I was very relieved that there was no mildew smell or rusting issue.

tj884Rdlx 05-05-2011 08:19 AM

x2 on using compressed air, like the cans you use to clean your keyboard, for blasting out accumulated gunk in the drain hose.

but make sure you find the top end in the passenger footwell, and blast OUTWARD before blasting from the bottom INward. don't want to blast a clog of goo back into your carpet!

using compressed air to clean sunroof drains is another handy trick. stick the tube in, then press some tissue into the hole to make a bit of a seal. you don't want it to backblast you.