YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   No-start, Rapidly flashing CEL (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/no-start-rapidly-flashing-cel-306642/)

Schrobee 01-03-2019 05:09 PM

No-start, Rapidly flashing CEL

Recently my truck stopped running while I was driving and now I have a no-start issue.

When I check for codes the check engine light rapidly flashes- I'm not sure what this means. The light does not flash a code sequence.

I have spark at the plugs and it appears the fuel system is working. I have not yet tested the fuel pressure, but there is fuel at the pressure regulator and the cold-start injector sprays. The fuel pump turns on when jumped at the diagnosis box and I also I replaced the fuel filter.

The MAF appears to function with the key on and the door opened on the MAF.

Since I already have spare parts off of a running vehicle, I swapped out the MAF, pressure regulator, coil and ignitor.

I have sprayed starting fluid into the open throttle body, put the air intake back together but it doesn't do anything when I crank it over. Nothing at all.

I'm not a mechanic but I fight through my problems- what else should I check?
Thanks!
1994 3.0 4x4 standard transmission.

75w90mantraN 01-03-2019 05:33 PM

Timing components and sensors worth checking. Compression test perhaps.

Any other issues like fluid levels? Old fuel? Engine cranks over or both no crank and no start?

I'm gonna go by your confirmations on the fuel and spark though the experts do want to know more objective details.

Schrobee 01-03-2019 06:37 PM

Could the pick-up in the distributor effect this? With a faulty ignitor, could I still be getting spark at the plugs but not be getting the pulse to trigger the fuel injectors?
The truck cranks over but does not start.
I also replaced the EFI relay with a known-good unit.

75w90mantraN 01-04-2019 07:14 AM

I think if your ignitor isn't working properly, you wont have spark and with no spark (or not strong enough) you wont have the demand for fuel.

To answer on the CEL, if no codes, it will just flash during diagnostics. If that is incorrect, pretty sure someone will say so. Great forum.

RJR 01-04-2019 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN (Post 52415207)
I think if your ignitor isn't working properly, you wont have spark and with no spark (or not strong enough) you wont have the demand for fuel.

To answer on the CEL, if no codes, it will just flash during diagnostics. If that is incorrect, pretty sure someone will say so. Great forum.

The above statements are correct. If the ECU doesn't get an igniter pulse within a certain length of time, it deactivates the fuel injectors to keep from pumping raw fuel through the system. That should throw a code, however.

If the CEL blinks about twice/second it means no stored codes. If it blinks about 4 times/second it means you've connected TE2 to E1 instead of TE1 to E1, and the system is in diag readout mode. See this thread
Diag Port Reader for more info on that.

You state that you have spark, but yet when you spray starter fluid into the intake it doesn't fire. That suggests either no spark or no compression. You probably need to verify both of those.