Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

No Start Condition: Have Spark & Fuel. I'm So Stumped. '95 'Runner 3VZE

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No Start Condition: Have Spark & Fuel. I'm So Stumped. '95 'Runner 3VZE

Well I've read and searched through here and the FSM, and my brain just hurts now, so I thought I'd try posting. Here goes:
'95 4runner, 3vze, MT, 165k miles, daily driven, no mods to speak of.
The other day on my way to work it just stalled, sorta like running out of gas but it has a half a tank. Good cranking power, oil and water are fine, so I towed it home and ran the obvious tests:
-Spark plug laid on plenum: yes it sparks.
-Noid light on injector harness: yes we have injector pulse.
-Pulled the banjo bolt off fuel rail (I don't have the crazy banjo fuel pressure adapter so I just cranked and watched): yes theres fuel volume.

I've checked all the fuses of course, checked ground straps (haven't found the one that's supposed to be by the AC compressor)..

I just can't understand how a car with injector pulse, spark, air, and fuel, would fail to start. Sure a bad ECM would make it run like crap or die, but no start??

Notes of possible importance:
-Tried spraying carb clean all up the airbox: No combustion.
-It's been idling high for a long time. Did the throttle body water channel flush a couple months ago. Didn't really help or hurt.
-Had the steering relay arm replaced at the dealer 2 weeks ago (via recall).
-Oh, and after trying all these tests and cranking it a bunch, I pulled a plug just to see, and yes it was wet with fuel. Oddly, when I tried to light the plug on fire, it wouldn't burn...

I'm so confused. Anyone have any ideas? Most specifically, I have spark, inj. pulse, fuel (Unknown pressure), and air (I can hear the VAF door flapping when I crank it).

Thanks in advance! I'm stuck at home till I figure this out, so
Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check your timing, it could of jumped timing and now it wont start, and i mean put motor at tdc on one and then pull cap and make sure it is where it should be,also next to the coil and on the back of the motor are grounding wires make sure they are hooked up, might want to do that before u check the timing,
Old 04-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
check your timing, it could of jumped timing and now it wont start, and i mean put motor at tdc on one and then pull cap and make sure it is where it should be,also next to the coil and on the back of the motor are grounding wires make sure they are hooked up, might want to do that before u check the timing,
Thanks Justin. Interesting, I just got off the phone with my buddy who suggested the timing belt could have skipped a tooth. I'll check the distrib position.

Update on diagnostics: I pulled the VAF and tested as per the FSM. Specs should be infinity on closed, 0 on open, which mine are. The test for E2-VS, open and closed, (page EG2-232 in the FSM) are pretty much pegged at 0 ohm on my multimeter (supposed to be 200-600ohm closed). Thing is, my multimeter is a Sperry analog unit with only a 1k ohm setting, and I'm having a senior moment on how to read the damn thing.

Anyway, assuming the VAF is bad, I should at least get combustion, if not idle, even without the VAF plugged in, from what I understand. I've run BMW's without the MAF, & you just need to keep your foot in it & it runs.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 PM

I know your pain. On the way home from work Friday my truck died. The same symptoms as yours. Have you checked the underhood fuses and relays yet? There are FSM procedures for testing the Efi relay.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 AM

Update on diagnostics:
Measured fuel pressure on the return line of the FPR: about 60psi (jumped fuel pump in diag port - car not running obviously. FSM shows pressure for only idling, but they mention it shoudl be in the 30-40psi range (pre FPR). Does this suggest I have excessive FP that would flood for no start?.

Second finding: I bought a timing light, and it shows the crank mark light up at about 35 or 40 degrees clockwise of the ref marks.

With crank notch at TDC, my distrib rotor points straight to #1 on the cap position.

I comp tested the left cylinder bank, all at 150+.

I've tested everything else at least twice. No NO start.

Does the timing light results (40deg past 0 clockwise) indicate a belt issue for sure? Could it be a timing f*up in the distrib?

Again, this is causing NO START, not even trying, even with all pomponents of the magice working: fuel pressure; inj pulse; spark; compression; air. = wet plugs no fire.

Seeing the timing off by that much is worrisome. indicating a few skipped teeth in the belt?? Hope it's in the dizzy...
ANy ideas??
Thank
-Jon
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 PM

You ever figure this out?

I would think that if youre using the timing light correctly and its lighting up 40 some odd degrees off, then yes, that might be your problem. It never hurts to take some time to just check and see where your cam gears are lined up along with your crank and dizzy. If everything is lined up, and your dizzy is pointed at #1, you should be good.

On another note.. I do find it a bit odd that your fuel wont ignite. For goodness sake, its VERY flammable.. Chance you got a ton of water in there or something?! Haha!