YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   No Brakes = No fun, no clean pants. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/no-brakes-no-fun-no-clean-pants-150013/)

kramykram 07-22-2008 08:46 AM

No Brakes = No fun, no clean pants.

So I'm getting the old girl back on the road, sat in the driveway for almost 8 mos. So I'm driving it this morning and the brakes feel soft. Before I get to work there are almost no brakes.

It does not appear to be leaking anywhere that I can see. But when I push the pedal down I can hear air leaking when the pedal bottoms out. I am going to do a search right after this just thought someone might know.

I do like stopping when I need to.

Thanks,

Kramy.

wjwerdna 07-22-2008 08:50 AM

could be a vacuum booster leaking as far as the air goes, that system uses vacuum and atmospheric pressure separated by a diaphragm to achieve higher braking forces. BUT, there would still be something wrong with your brake system to let the pedal fall that far... so I would guess either a master cylinder problem (replace) or a leak somewhere...

read here for further info: http://www.aa1car.com/library/pwrsteer.htm

Crawdad 07-22-2008 10:49 AM

First off, I would suck all the old fluid out of the master cylinder, and replace it with clean, new fluid from a newly opened bottle. Then, bleed all 4 corners and the LSPV if you have one, to get out as much of the old fluid as you possibly can. See if that fixes the problem. This takes $5 in fluid and about 15 minutes time if you have a helper.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it will readily absorb moisture from the atmosphere. When brake fluid gets moisture in it, it compresses instead of acting hydraulically, and can cause some weird things to happen once it heats up and the fluid boils - things like low brake pedal, and difficulty stopping.

If not, start looking at the more expensive things like master cylinder, brake booster, etc.

RunnerUp 07-22-2008 10:56 AM

i got a master cylinder for your truck for sale right now, 100+shipping, check my sig

kramykram 07-22-2008 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by RunnerUp (Post 50880087)
i got a master cylinder for your truck for sale right now, 100+shipping, check my sig

I saw that, If I need that I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for the pointers.

Lets see, Turkey baster, Check.

Catch bucket, Check.

2 bottles of brake fluid, check.

roll of duct tape, check.

Lets go see what we find.

Crawdad 07-22-2008 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by kramykram (Post 50880315)
I saw that, If I need that I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for the pointers.

Lets see, Turkey baster, Check.

Catch bucket, Check.

2 bottles of brake fluid, check.

roll of duct tape, check.

Lets go see what we find.

Throw in a case of beer and a sweet little lady and you've got date night, my friend.

904_runner 07-22-2008 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Crawdad (Post 50880335)
Throw in a case of beer and a sweet little lady and you've got date night, my friend.

Yea she can help bleed your brakes! :hillbill:

iamsuperbleeder 07-22-2008 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by kramykram (Post 50880315)
...roll of duct tape, check...

:think:

kramykram 07-22-2008 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder (Post 50880375)
:think:

Super Duper Vacuum Fixxer Upper Ya Know?? But I did not need it. My pedal will only go about 2" and all I hear is the sound of air. I think it is the booster.

Damnit!!! :cry2:

Junkers88 07-22-2008 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner (Post 50880340)
Yea she can help bleed your brakes! :hillbill:

So that's what all the kids are calling it these days. Heck I think I missed something at the NAPA counter this afternoon....... she sure was pretty.

Junkers88 07-22-2008 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Crawdad (Post 50880081)
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it will readily absorb moisture from the atmosphere. When brake fluid gets moisture in it, it compresses instead of acting hydraulically, and can cause some weird things to happen once it heats up and the fluid boils.

Now THAT I didn't know. I'll be changing the brake fluid this weekend just to be on the safe side. That and it's time for rear shoes anyway. Thanks for the info.

Crawdad 07-24-2008 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88 (Post 50880426)
Now THAT I didn't know. I'll be changing the brake fluid this weekend just to be on the safe side. That and it's time for rear shoes anyway. Thanks for the info.

Yep, that is why you are technically supposed to open a new bottle of brake fluid every time you use it - even the air in the bottle can put moisture in the fluid. I haven't had a problem with using opened fluid, personally, but it isn't the "Right" way to do it.

When I first bought my 4runner, it had been sitting for about a year. The brakes absolutely sucked, and no amount of bleeding and replacing pads helped - until I flushed all the old fluid out of the system and put new fluid in. Then it was like new. Apparently the cap didn't have a 100% seal on it while it sat, and the fluid had absorbed moisture.

Kramykram, any updates?

kramykram 07-24-2008 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Crawdad (Post 50882027)
Yep, that is why you are technically supposed to open a new bottle of brake fluid every time you use it - even the air in the bottle can put moisture in the fluid. I haven't had a problem with using opened fluid, personally, but it isn't the "Right" way to do it.

When I first bought my 4runner, it had been sitting for about a year. The brakes absolutely sucked, and no amount of bleeding and replacing pads helped - until I flushed all the old fluid out of the system and put new fluid in. Then it was like new. Apparently the cap didn't have a 100% seal on it while it sat, and the fluid had absorbed moisture.

Kramykram, any updates?

Sucked out what I could from the reservoir (pretty black at the bottom) and replaced it with new fluid. No change, but I have yet to bleed them. Stupid Hurricane!!

I'll bleed out all the black junk before I start yankin parts.

Crawdad 07-24-2008 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by kramykram (Post 50882073)
Sucked out what I could from the reservoir (pretty black at the bottom) and replaced it with new fluid. No change, but I have yet to bleed them. Stupid Hurricane!!

I'll bleed out all the black junk before I start yankin parts.

Cool, glad you haven't blown away yet. Be safe.

904_runner 07-24-2008 09:06 AM

Hey and just think of all the mudding you can do after the storm. Man, we could sure use some rain!

kramykram 07-24-2008 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Crawdad (Post 50882096)
Cool, glad you haven't blown away yet. Be safe.

Eh, I'm in Austin so it's just dropped the temp below 100 and brought some rain. :nerd:

Ron Helmuth 07-24-2008 09:31 AM

go ahead and share that rain up this way please please....

kramykram 08-12-2008 10:47 AM

So just an update, turns out the MC was leaking into the booster. It was so gradual that I did not notice a big bunch of missing brake fluid but man was there a bunch in there.

Thanks to Fast68 for the booster and MC for a reasonable price. Sorry I did not take pics as a friend of mine with a lift did the work for a bottle of Vodka.

But she's back on the road and stopping when I need her to. :banger: :banger: :banger:

Score 1 for the good guys.

Junkers88 08-12-2008 12:38 PM

Congrats!!! Now that the brakes work you need to clean those pants. :flush:

Matt16 08-12-2008 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Crawdad (Post 50880335)

LOL good one.