Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Newbie doing HG close to the end and desparately need timing advice.!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie doing HG close to the end and desparately need timing advice.!

First let me say, this sitehas been the greatest asset to my success (or potential success) and I can't thank everyone on it enough for everything they've contributed to it. Needless to say, when this is done, I WILL pay it forward and post an my expereinces when doing this repair. Hopefully it will save someone, like myself, who has never done such a job the headaches and extra effor that I've put into it. Prior to this job, I knew absolutely nothing when it came to cars (had only replaced a thermostat and my brakes). When people used to talk cars, I pretty much agreed with whatever they had to say. It was totally different language to me. I'd like to think I have since "grown." I'm close to the end and I'm in desperate need of "guidance" as I really don't want to have to do this part again after coming so far. I've tried to refrain from asking questions up until this point (searching for the info myself), so I don't look like some guy just trying to rip off the site, but I'm at the point of no return and can't find anything about this unique question ANYWHERE.

95 3vze

I'm replacing the timing belt in the process and my cam sprocket marks are a tad off of the marks made by the factory on the timing belt cover. Not much, but enough to cause me concern. I know for a fact the crank was lined up at 0*TDC per my distributor and the crank sprockets were as well. However, since I had never done this before, I never knew what to look out for when making those marks. I'm 99% posotive that I removed the Hydraulic tensioner before making my marks. Therefore, it is quite possible that they once lined up with the factory marks (which are quite crappy IMO) at one time, but I'm not sure. However, when I go to set the new belt, should I align the sprockets with the marks I made or the ones made by the factory on the cover? The car ran fine before and never had a gas mileage issue, so I'm assuming the timing was correct before I started this repair.

Are my marks far enough off of the factory marks that it is actually off a tooth, or is there enough "play" in the sprocket to accomodate that space and should tension back to the factory marks once the hydrolic tensioner is set.

Once I pull the pin on that tensioner, the grenade is going off...

They are equally distant on each cam sprocket and as I said, the crank lines up when these marks are met by the marks on the cam.

Is it possible that my lack of order made those marks just a bit off when I marked my timing and should things line up once I take the pin out of my tensioner ( of course I will check with 2 full rotations of the crank)?

Here is a pic, the mark is exactly the same on the LH (driver side) as well.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but this is my DD and she's been out of commission for 4 weeks (measure 4 times/cut once ). I'm sick of driving my GF's car and want to make sure I get it right on the first try.

THANK YOU for any help!!

Justin
Old 04-13-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, BTW, my marks are the pink ones (gf's finger nail polish lol)
Old 04-13-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the new belt should have 3 marks on it- one for the crank sprocket and one for each cam sprocket. the sprockets should have their own marks already so all you have to do is install the belt so that all the marks line up.
I can't tell by the pic you posted that your pink (yeah, sure it's the GF's. ) is on the factory mark. You didn't have to mark the head also though since like said, the belt has (should have) marks and as long as the belt and sprocket marks all match up... and now I'm repeating myself.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks right, but you should be looking DIRECTLY at the cam sprocket to know for sure (taken at an angle). The marks on the belt DO NOT MATTER, as long as you get the belt on right. MAKE SURE you have ALL the tension out from between the two sprockets/under the upper tensioner. Start at the crank, put the belt around the right (driver side) sprocket, all tension out, then under the upper tensioner and on the left sprocket. You MIGHT need to rotate the sprockets ever so slightly to the right to get them in the belt teeth then back left. Just make sure all the slack is only between the left sprocket & crank, so the hydraulic tensioner takes it up. Good Luck!