Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New User, Old Truck: 1988 4Runner Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New User, Old Truck: 1988 4Runner Build

Howdy,

Recently purchased a 1988 4runner SR5 auto 4x4 from a family member. Its in great condition for the most part. But it's still nearly 30 years old. I wanted to make a thread to document my progress on the restoration.

This is a shot when I first brought it home. 202,000 miles on it. Rebuilt engine.

Pulled all the carpet out of the pack to clean.

Installed some insulation in the walls. Hopefully this will help with temperature and noise. Haven't laid anything down on the bed yet. Im planning on building a storage box/sleeping platform thing.

I used a different insulation up front. This should be a little quieter under foot.

Carpet back in! The gear selector is very loose. Still works fine but there is a lot play. Ill be looking into that soon. I would like to swap in a manual someday.

Heres a shot with the top off and the pupper in the back.

Recently had all of the brake replaced. Brand new MC. I would have taken the opportunity to upgrade but I was out of town and just needed it to stop.

To do List:
Figure out what causing my code 21 and 71.
Build a cargo box thing
Re-lube everything
Figure out my the washer fluid motor isnt working
Fix exhaust leak.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Looks clean.
Welcome to the forum!
Are you sure it's the washer motor that's not working? It may be the pump is working but the lines are clogged. That was the problem with my 1986 MoreFunner.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My issue was clogging as well (re: washer pump). There was a residue in the bottom of the tank. Luckily, the tank is easy to remove as well as the pump if you need to replace it. I had already bought a new one before I discovered the reason so I just replaced it anyways. ....the new one was a generic part but nearly identical.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:52 PM

What are you restoring! That thing is mint.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Very nice. Looks similar to my '88. Looking forward to your restoration updates.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:55 PM

Thanks! I realized this thread should have been in the "Build Up" Section. I guess I got mixed up when posting, Sorry about that. As far as the washers go, I'll make sure the lines are clear. I couldn't hear the pump running when I pushed the button so I figured it might be the culprit. But frankly it hasn't been a priority.

I pulled out the O2 sensor to have a look and it reads normal resistance for cold and I pulled the ECU and everything look pristine in there too. But I stripped out two of the screws holding the cover on. So ill continue to search for the root of my code 21. When I was down there I noticed a rusted crack in my muffler at the seem where the end cap is welded to the cylinder. Upon further inspection there was a big hole (2" diameter) rusted thought the side as well. I did my best to weld on a patch and realized that the rust on the inside runs out in another direction. Tomorrow Ill do my best to patch the ever growing rust hole! Due to my poor weld skills I will probably not be posting photos of that! Trying to track down the code 71 from the EGR system. I've been replacing some vacuum lines that looked iffy. The Temp sensor seems to be within spec when tested with the multimeter. Ill be checking the modulator tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The washer pump, if broken is an easy replacement, the generic replacement sold at an autozone or any autoparts store will pop right onto the tank (where it mounts). You just replace it. I think the generics come with those little wire splicers but you can solder, crimp, whatever. It is not that critical.

The 4Runner looks like a great candidate for a restoration, very clean. Would be nice to see it restored to all its stock glory. Whatever your plans are it seems you have a solid foundation.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:31 PM

Update on the washer system. I blew compressed air through the lines and there did appear to be any clogs. I think the problem was the pump. As I was pulling it off the tank I broke the pump. Replaced it with a generic and everything works now! My windshield is very clean! Now I just need to fix the damn crack!

I fixed the muffler leaks there were a couple sizable holes. I "welded" on some patches and used the high temp jb-weld to achieve a decent seal because I'm still crap at welding. The exhaust smell is no longer present in the cab. It still smells like I'm running rich though. I did have a code 21 that would come on every now and then. I tried to clean the 02 sensor but that doesnt seem to have made much of a difference.

I've also got some shakes and shimmies to figure out. I got a bunch of brake work done as I mentioned and I haven't been overly impressed with the quality of work. The truck is surging as I brake and I can feel it in the pedal. All the work is under warranty so I'm gonna take it back in to see if the rotors are warped. I'm gonna get the alignment checked after that cause the truck shakes at highway speeds but not when Im turning.