Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

new timing set, now no oil pressure and am1 fuse blows

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new timing set, now no oil pressure and am1 fuse blows

1991 4runner, 22re, 5spd, 83997 miles when bought, last month!
i was getting oil in my water and decided it was time to do the doa metal timing kit. i also replaced the water pump and timing cover since thats where the hole was. the truck ran ok (except for the oil/water mix) before i did everything and i have no oil pressure now. basically, is there any way to inspect the oil pump WITHOUT pulling the timing cover again? im pressed for time cause of the family and want to get this thing going so i can start beating the piss out of it in the hills.

i also have an issue where the "AM1" fuse blew, took a bit to figure out but my trusty fluke helped out alot. i replaced it and everything worked fine but i can only start the thing if i hit the css switch. i dont believe it could be the contacts cause its never acted up before. and the nss is getting fully depressed when the clutch is pushed in. i cleaned the ground on the p/s pump bracket when i was buttoning everything back up, but i dont think that is associated with the nss. any thoughts, ideas, suggestions???
Old 07-22-2010, 03:46 PM

You can pull the oil pump without pulling the cover. It is bolted to the front of it. You don't even have to take the rad or anything out. Just pull the balancer off and pull the pump.

As for the AM1, look in the FSM and see what that is supplying. I would check your alternator wiring since that had to be moved around when you did the chain.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:55 PM

cuss cuss balls, i was thinking it was behind the cover for some reason, god its been too long since ive had a toyota.
as far as the am1 goes, i whacked the starter and when i got back in the truck i had no interior power. the ignition buzzed when i put the key in, and the dome lights worked, but nothing from the radio or no gauge movement or anything. i did inspect the wiring from the alternator, and the 12v feed from the battery. im just confues cause ive never seen that blow before. ill have to dig up my manual. thanks for the quick reply!