Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New StreetRV Head and 261c Crawler Cam Coming In!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New StreetRV Head and 261c Crawler Cam Coming In!

Hey I blew my Headgasket on my 22re a while back so I decided now would be the time to do some upgrades.I ordered the StreetRV head and 261c Crawler cam from Engnblder.com. I'm pretty amped about it. Does anyone else have this combo?I'm going to try to score a header to go with my upgrades... I've seen that most everyones says LCE for them. It all depends on that tax return though.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be interested to hear how you like that. I think alot of folks here have the the 268 cam and are happy with it, but I'm more interested in the low end oomph of the 261. Yeah you'll get plenty of votes for LCE. Consider Thorley also, they have them at Summitt.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 AM

Actually, as I understand it 268 is the Torkr... lots of low end but runs out of steam above ~4500 and the 261 is the Crawler... factory rev range, and lets the engine breathe better in the upper RPMs

I have a StreetRV head and 261C in my 87 carbie and the biggest difference I've noticed is the engine is MUCH happier to spend time above 3800 or so. It would easily pull redline before, but by comparison to now it sounded kind of ragged. It doesn't seem to rev as quickly, but it feels like it pulls more strongly.

YMMV
Old 01-31-2007, 12:43 PM

Cool, I'll let everyone know how it performs. I don't even have it apart yet,I thought it would be much easier to just buy a new head and the gaskets and throw it back together. Any tips or things to look out for doing the headgasket? I've already done the Timing Chain at 150,000,It is now at 172,000 miles.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 PM

I just got my Street RV head and 268 cam, I'm pretty stoked to get them in the truck.

Sadly I need to have some local work done to my head. I need to get the combustion chambers enlarged by a few cc's to bring the compression ratio down. I would have liked Ted(or rather Tod) do it, but I caught him with it after he'd shipped it.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Bill your turbo'd right? What did Ted say about using that cam with a RTE? Did he recommend it to you specifically? I'd really like to know how it turns out.

With the RE head on a RTE you should be still down around the 8.0 cr range.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i like mine works great
Old 02-01-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill
I just got my Street RV head and 268 cam, I'm pretty stoked to get them in the truck.

Sadly I need to have some local work done to my head. I need to get the combustion chambers enlarged by a few cc's to bring the compression ratio down. I would have liked Ted(or rather Tod) do it, but I caught him with it after he'd shipped it.
>>>*Hi, Bill! Glad you like that. Have your shop take a close look at the stock turbo chambers, then just get as close as they can.

Mike emailed me and asked about the differences between the 261C and our 268C so I thought I would answer that here.

The 261C we consider a more sporty type design, it has fast recovery from off idle and keeps a full powerband to redline. It can tend to chatter a bit at idle on some combinations.

The 268C is pretty smooth due to the closer actual duration. Ramp speed is a bit slower but it has more lift so it works well for a daily driver that sees a lot of highway and freeway use.

The 261 and 268 part is theoretical, that number is what the computer says total duration should be, there is no way to accurately measure that. I know that causes some confusion, because the 261C actually has more net duration at .050" lobe lift, this has to do with lobe shapes and dwell.

The two are within 3-4 ft/lbs torque of each other at peak. We typically ignore horsepower reading which are just math anyway, the torque is what we feel when driving normally.

Of course other modifications affect the responses, we have to base on bone stock engines.

The other question we get a lot is "do we rebox" from other brands? While this is very common in the industry, the answer is no, these are produced for us to spec and are unique to our brand.....*So if something goes wrong you know who to blame....*LOL**....*EB
Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 AM

hmm, well if that's your take on the 261 vs 268 I may have to order a 261 to see which cam I like more. If the 261 is better right off idle it may be a better compliment to a turbo(ie cam pulls harder till the turbo kicks in). But we shall see.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:43 PM

OK. Just came over to paste Ted's reply to me from e mail as he said he was having trouble posting here, but he obviously got through. Stock87's post made me think I had it backward, so I figured, go to "the source". Hopefully this thread can be useful to other's that search in the future. I figure on the 261 as I intend to rockcrawl. Funny how we used to see how fast we could make our cars and now we see how slow we can make our trucks...

Mike
Old 02-07-2007, 05:31 AM

Man I got my stuff in yesterday! Man it looks awsome... I can't wait to get started! I'm also excited to clean my EFI up. I'll try to take pics.I totally recommend Engnblder.The service and product are great.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:52 AM

I had the Street RV head w/ 261c on my 22RE. It had tons more power on road... pulled hills w/o down shifting... 21 MPG with 36" Swampers!

My only dislike was off road. With a stock cam setup the engine could lug down to around 500-600 RPM when crawling w/o stalling. With the 261c it would stall out around 800-900 RPM.

Awesome service & parts! Keep up the good work.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:04 AM

21mpg with 36's!! awsome! I was just hoping to get something decent when I bump too 4.88's and 33's
Old 02-23-2007, 05:32 AM

My progress we are down to the block now.

Here is the before shots[IMG][/IMG]

engine bay shot

We had some trouble with this pipe.

We had to remove the fuel rail and injectors to get to the "hidden Bolt" the allen head bolt that goes through the Thermostat.It just rounded off. We ended up removing the injectors and the fuel rail and using channel locks(vise grips) to turn it. This is the only way we could see being able to remove this bolt.
Also we saw no other easy way to get the intake manifold bolts off if the upper intake was attached,we don't have Jap hands either though...

We did get the head off and it looks like my leak occured in the first cylinder.
It has been "steam cleaned".
Now comes the clean up. I'll post more pics as they come
Old 02-23-2007, 07:37 AM

put in a new fuel filter while your in there
Old 02-23-2007, 07:46 PM

thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Progress

So we've got some real progress... sorry about the delay...

cleaned up head

I used Greased Lightning(Purple Bottle) and an electric pressure washer.That Greased Lightning is awsome stuff.It's like it melts the grease,oil,and dirt off.

Old head,sides are semi-clean because of Greased Lightning.

This is the cleaned up Intake.

New Street RV Head and 261c Cam(from Engn Bldr.com). Ted's The man. Service is excellent!

Old 03-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Here is a good shot of the cam and of the fuel filter location as well as a troublesome pipe!

This pipe gave us a few minutes or hours of grief.
We also replace the fuel filter while we were in there.(behind pipe)

Another Head Shot,When installing the cam sprocket it helps to insert a rachet end or screwdriver in to the sprocket hole.Move the cam sprocket back and forth while you apply the upward pressure from your rachet end or screwdriver. This should easy the Cam Sprocket/Timing chain installation.
After you install the cam sprocket,install the head cover bolt(Bolt normally located in the puddle of oil during removal).

Here is another shot. Notice the zip ties on the Timing Chain.

Here is our lovely trouble some pipe again.I believe the proper name is secondary air pipe.Not its location in comparison to the Thermostat(Top Right)

Here is an exhaust shot,I didn't have enough bank to get a new header yet.

Victory.

The only problem now seems to be fuel delivery.
We have spark,it won't start though. When we use some carb cleaner in the injection it will sound like it is about to run bout won't start all the way up.

Any Advice?

Hope the pics entertain or help someone.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:07 PM

when i did mine i just used a new t-stat from napa and it kept overheating, check on 4crawler's website for the toyota t-stat so you dont go though the smae thing i did-
Old 03-15-2007, 05:45 AM

Well the problem was that my EFI fuse was popped,and I needed to "jump" the fuel pum off. Apparently the design requires air to pass through the MAS
before the fuel injection kicks in. After that it fired right up.
I need to adjust the valves and the timing a little and it will be purring like a kitten. I was grinning like crazy hearing that thing lope.
Thanks for the help guys.