Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New rebuild won't start.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New rebuild won't start.

Hey there,

Just reinstalled a rebuilt engine. Currently It won't start. I did the rebuild, and its my first Toyota 3VZE. I have done several other engines before and followed the factory service manual. I had the short block built by the machine shop.

Right now I have spark, and I have fuel to the cold start valve and the fuel rail. I believe I have everything hooked up right, not sure what order to chase things down in. I pulled a plug and it doesn't seem to be very wet. I installed the flame thrower injectors while I had it apart. I also used new NGK Iridium plugs, Toyota wires, and a new toyota cap and rotor.

I am dead sure the timing gears and belt are accurate, the rotor was installed to line up with the little arrow on the Dist housing.

I am a bit baffled here. I will start the trouble shooting procedures as soon as I can find my volt/Ohm meter.

I did disconnect the wiring of one of the flamethrower injectors and connect it to an old one. I though I could feel it clicking but it was very faint when held in my fingers around the barrel. Not sure if thats how it should feel.

The cold start valve when I pulled it put one good shot of fuel into my jar when the key was first tried, and the fuel rail at the connector near the fuel regulator shot fuel everywhere when I cranked it briefly with the connection loose.

Any insight is appreciated. Like to get this beast running tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you

Phil
Old 04-05-2017, 07:13 PM

Figured it out. It was as simple as the timing was off a tooth on the dist. Looked at the FSM again and realized my mistake.

Phil
Old 04-06-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Good on ya. hows she run?
Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 AM

So far so good. Put about 15 miles on it yesterday. Its stalling a bit when it gets warm. Also the muffler is shot so its going to get one next week.

Leaving this am for a week in the St. Louis area for work and I will get back on it when I get home.

The look of my son driving it was worth the effort!

Phil
Old 04-07-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by firepilot

The look of my son driving it was worth the effort!

Phil
that is the best

Search this Thread