86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new owner with Poor Throttle response: 1992 22RE pickup

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new owner with Poor Throttle response: 1992 22RE pickup

I know it says not to post such a vague title, but I don't know enough about vehicles to narrow it down anymore than that.

On the way home from work today, about an hour ago, I got to a stop light and waited. When I went to take off my truck would barely go. I hobbled home and figured out this much:
The truck will run fine, as long as I barely press on the throttle. Anything over about a quarter of the way and it starts to sputter. It also feels like it has a new miss at idle. This is the only vehicle I'll have tomorrow to get to work so i need to find something out very soon to either get it fixed or find a ride tomorrow. Any advice is appreciated.

Sorry again for such the vague title.

Thanks,
Jake
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM

Sorry, while hoping to get a quick response I forgot to even mention the vehicle
1992 pickup with the 22re motor

I'd guess a fuel problem, possibly filter? but would it cause that big of a difference that fast? But again I'm ignorant when it comes to vehicles.

No check engine light either
Old 07-31-2013, 01:48 PM

Discription of veichle will be helpfu.Have you donea tune up, such as spark plugs, dizzy cap,wires,air filter,fuel filter, etc... will be a good start But sounds like your VAFM might be dirty or going out, Take it out and clean the the inside with mass air flow sensor cleaner and try it.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by z31freakify
Discription of veichle will be helpfu.Have you donea tune up, such as spark plugs, dizzy cap,wires,air filter,fuel filter, etc... will be a good start But sounds like your VAFM might be dirty or going out, Take it out and clean the the inside with mass air flow sensor cleaner and try it.
I just bought the truck this last weekend, was going to do a general tune up this weekend. As far as a VAFM, this is my first toyota, but is that similar to a MAF on other trucks?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
VAFM stands for Vane Air Flow Meter. Basically a spring loaded flap that gets moved by air moving. When you open the throttle, more air flows through, overcoming more spring resistance and opening the flap more. The ECU monitors how far open the flap is and adjusts timing, fuel, etc accordingly. I had the exact same symptom you had, and it went away after i did a few things at the same time, but i believe it was the VAFM. You should also try your Throttle Position Sensor if you feel like it's related to how far open the throttle is.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Symptoms sound similar to a bad/out of spec throttle position sensor (TPS). Unplug the sensor (on the side of the throttle body) and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you know that's the problem and you can drive like that for a little while until you can get it adjusted or replaced if it's bad. Your truck will run in 'safe mode' with the TPS unplugged. It won't get the greatest gas mileage and the engine will run a little dirty because of that, but it'll get you to work in the morning.

Unless your truck is a California emissions truck you won't get the CEL if the TPS goes bad so don't let that be too big of a thinker when you're working thru the process of fixing it.

Last edited by SPARKS89; 07-31-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Since you just got the truck, consider that it needs everything done in my opinion. A complete tune up as listed above. It could be something as simple as that. Get Denso wires off of ebay and Denso plugs, filter, and distributor cap at Toyota. Those parts are about the same price as the parts store but far better quality. Changing your O2 sensor is probably needed as well. Check ebay for it as well.

Do the Seafoam treatment, alot of post on it on here as well. All fluids should be changed. I put dielectric grease on all of my electrical connections and clean all of my sensors that are easily to get to.

I have seen several problems fixed just by doing the basic and easy maintaince. If you still have problems, you will have a better chance of troubleshooting it.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:48 PM

Well after a stressful afternoon I've got one problem out of the way. Turns out it was the throttle sensor. Picked up a new one at O reilly and after fighting with the throttle body for awhile got it replaced. Thank yall so much for all the help. Now I just have some valve seals to replace, and an exhaust leak to fix, then I ought to be right as rain. Look forward to some more questions from me haha.
Thanks again,
Jake
Old 07-31-2013, 05:51 PM

Glad you found the problem, but did you adjust the sensor or just slap the new one on there? I'd hate for you to find out you still need to adjust it when you're ready to go to work in the morning.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:01 PM

I got the new one on there and when I just start the truck the idle is a little off, but if I tap the gas it settles down. Might need some fine tuning but it'll get me there at 4:30 and I can take care of it tomorrow afternoon.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 PM

Sounds good. Just remember you can unplug it and drive in safe mode in a pinch.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 PM

Alright made it tp work, home and back for lunch, and back again. But how exactly do I adjust this thing? May fool around to try to make good better.