Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New member, in middle of removing 3" body lift, confused by steering column...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member, in middle of removing 3" body lift, confused by steering column...

Hello everyone, new member here. I have owned my little 86 pickup shortbed for about 7 years now. Its a real pos, but it gets me to where I want to go and keeps on truckin' and I finally decided I'd put some work into it. It has always been a terrible ride, bouncing all over the road and rattling. I attributed this to worn out shocks and a body lift kit, which I believe was correct as I just changed the shocks and some of them could be used as a pogo stick... and as for the body lift, about a third of the bolts I've run into so far weren't even tightened fully.

So far I've lowered the bed, its seemed like daunting task at first, it actually was very easy with just a simple floor jack and some wood (and a some power tools). I'm keeping my eye on the gas tank hose but it looks like she'll be alright. It has a section of of tubing that looks like an accordian so I think it just stretches/compresses to different lengths.

Now on to the front half of the truck, wherein lies my question:

I've read that body lift kits come with steering column extensions, and I've seen a few different kinds, the most common being literally a spacer between the end of the shaft and the joint that goes to the steering gearbox. Anyway, I can't seem to find one on my truck (Picture 3). There are two things I am wondering...

Did the previous owner simply pull the shaft outwards and have it barely connected by the tip of the spline ? (picture 1)

Or is this some manner of collapsable steering shaft that extends like a telescopic tripod leg??? (picture 2)

Picture 4 is just to sort of show everything to get an idea of where you are looking.

Last edited by Norrick; 03-25-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Steering rod collapses. Just adjust it when you remove the body lift.

:wabbit2: