Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New member and first time Toyota owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member and first time Toyota owner.

Hey everyone. I figured that this looked like the best place to introduce myself and my rigs. I'm 26 years old. I've been off-roading since I was 5, driving off-road since I was 13. I started out operating tractors and ATVs on my grandparents' ranch, and learned to drive stick on a '57 Willys CJ-5. I drove that thing everywhere through the woods on their property and the neighbors'. Through high school, I drove a '76 AMC CJ-5 with 350/TH350 power and Rancho 4" lift. I've owned two '76 Ford F150 4x4s too, the first a daily driver and backwoods beater, and the second a project that never got completed.

After 13 years, I've learned some things. Here's a short list:
>I've never had a lift be of any benefit off road.
>Each and every time I've been stuck, a locker or limited slip would've gotten me unstuck, or prevented the stuck in the first place.
>Tires are the first mod I make. I've shredded too many 4ply tires on sharp rocks and tree branches to even try using them anymore. Whether it's an A/T or M/T, I will not go off the pavement without at least a 6ply rating.

Currently, I have a '93 GMC K1500 that is my DD, a '87 Yamaha Banshee, and a '87 Toyota SR5 shortbed 4x4 pickup.

I got the Toyota by trading the AMC CJ-5 to a family member. It's bone stock except for the front bumper and Harbor Freight winch that came with it. It has the original carburated 4 banger, but it was rebuilt about 20,000 miles ago. So far, I've been impressed with it's off-road performance. I've had it for 2 years now, and am ready to build it now that my GMC is running again.

I already have new 31x10.50R15 M/T tires on it. The stock ground clearance is high enough, so I am leaving the suspension alone (including the IFS), unless I swap in a small block V8 later down the road. Right now, I want to get either a Detroit Locker or Truetrac in the rearend, but am having trouble choosing. I am also having a hard time finding a real roll bar, which I need so I can install a bench seat with seatbelts in the bed. All I've been able to find are bolt-together "sport bars". I don't have a welder or the skills to make good welds, so building my own is out of the question.

Basically, I want a rig that can drive 1000 miles on the highway, take on Moab and the Rubicon, explore logging and Forest Service roads, desert 2 tracks, and Oregon sand dunes. I avoid mud and don't try to climb huge boulders when I can go around. I don't off-road to test my truck to the breaking point. I do it to explore, hunt, fish, and camp. If I want to get stupid, well, that's what the Banshee is for. I'm thinking an overland type build is what I need.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:16 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your questions are:

1) should I get a detroit locker or a true trac?

2) where can I get a proper roll-bar?

Well, as to the first question, get a locker not a LSD.

A proper roll bar is going to be expensive if you don't make it. Badlands Bumpers is not too far from you (maybe?) but I'd think you're going to want a local to set it up on the frame. I'd recommend you save the roll bar money and sell the truck so that you can get a similar vintage 4unner. This will be less dangerous, and more comfortable, for your passengers

Also, welcome to YT!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:21 PM

1st off post pics, everyone on here like to see pics.

2nd a true trac or e-locker would be your best set up if you plan on lots of time on the Hwy.

Keep the suspension semi stock, get some bilstine shocks, low pro poly bumpstops, and go from there.