Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New here, want to say thank you & my rig

Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, want to say thank you & my rig

well I scored!! I found an 88 22re 4x4 regular cab with only 74K on the clock and, hardly any rust. here in MA that is nothing short of amazing. I got it for a steal and I'm slowly going through the vehicle working out the bugs.

first off the temp gauge wasnt moving and no heat so I did the thermostat. I've been searching here and reading ad infinitum so I just went with a NAPA tstat for now. I drilled a little hole in the flange as well.

the vehicle will be for street use and occasional mild off-roading. just gotta find some legit trails.

next up I drained the oil and switched to synthetic. I figure if she's gonna leak she's gonna leak. with the relatively low miles I'm not too worried and if it does its not my main vehicle so I'll deal with it.

I had some strange engine noise and I assumed it was the timing chain, not knowing this vehicle yet. spoke to the crew at engnblder they steered me right. it was just a belt. So I adjusted up the tension on the belts and we're lookin good there!

valve cover was super loose. the bolts came un-torqued so I snugged em up gently. I need to get a torque wrench still. saw a nice cheap one at sears, should do for now.

Next was the horn. oh boy. fun. it was NOT WORKING and here in MA thats a big deal come inspection sticker time. ended up being the brass ring behind the wheel was not contacting the brass spring loaded rod. after lots of trial and error I found by bending that ring up and out the contact was then constant.

so its great now to have a horn, heat, and good fluids. I know I have LOTS of work still to do. I'm only the second owner and I am SO fired up to have this thing.

now I am searching and searching and reading about exhaust manifolds and headers. I think mine is leaking but it is tough to tell because there is another small leak downstream, near some sensor outlet just under the driver side floor board. money is tight so if stock is good enough flow with some decent pipe back there, thats just fine with me. but if stock is not good I'll change it. I've done one before on another vehicle so I know you have to take your time. I may just rebuild with stock for now.

I think I am going to just use the stock header with new custom exhaust, but we'll see.

first is rebuilding the front hubs....seems like the front left wheel does not spin when in 4 wheel.

its like learning a new language! and I love it.

thanks everyone for all the help so far. the search here is great and I'm learning tons.

I'm going to get some pics up soon of the rig.
feel free to chime in on any of the topics.....
I was going to post separate for each of the things I did but I found them through the search so I'm sure the others looking for the topics will as well.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech.

You got manual hubs or ADD?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:14 AM

haha the pics they are a comin. I just sent my buddy an email telling him the good news and he said the same thing!

I have the manual locking hubs. I think the people I bought it from forced them. they were stiff and frozen from the cold. they put pliers on them and now i just don't think they are really locking. I feel like maybe they jumped the spring or something.

when I put it in 4 wheel, you can hear the difference. I have not yet done the trick where you put it all up on jack stands and see what is spinning or not (read about that in a search too!).

luckily (or not) we are getting SLAMMED with snow here so late on I'm going to find a parking lot with my friend. We'll find out if it is working or not real quick! haha
Old 03-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Banned

You might just need to clean up the manual hubs...lots of things can cause them not to work properly, overgreasing, dirt inside, big spring in upside down etc.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-02-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You might just need to clean up the manual hubs...lots of things can cause them not to work properly, overgreasing, dirt inside, big spring in upside down etc.
yes that is what I am hoping for. keeping my fingers crossed. In general you can tell the vehicle was well cared for so I'm hopin that will do it.

thanks for the links too! I just browsed through-some really good stuff there.

I was at the boneyard yesterday and found a yota with the Aisin hubs...

do you know can I pull the whole assembly off without removing the wheel?

I ask because this thing was buried with other cars on top and stuff-so jacking it up to pull the wheels is out of the question. not to mention the puddle of mud/soon to be ice around it. from what I have read and seen in pics you gotta take the wheels off.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-02-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah you dont need to take the wheels off just bring a socket set i think 12-14 and maybe 14 are all u need..
the aisins are way better than warns!!!!

cant wait for pics and its good to see a new dude searching!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by bigt
yeah you dont need to take the wheels off just bring a socket set i think 12-14 and maybe 14 are all u need..
the aisins are way better than warns!!!!

cant wait for pics and its good to see a new dude searching!
really!? aww thanks man that is awesome. Hopefully they will be there still...you know how that goes, snooze ya lose.
thanks a bunch!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Banned

You need:

10mm for the dial face bolts
12mm for hub bolts (holds it to the wheel hub)
Brass drift and hammer (cone washers)
Small screwdriver (cone washer)
54mm (2 1/8") socket for wheel bearing nuts