YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   New body panels or just **** it, Herculiner it? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/new-body-panels-just-herculiner-109576/)

SwampThing 03-08-2007 06:43 PM

New body panels or just **** it, Herculiner it?

Well, I was panning on Herculining the rest of the swampthing reguardless, but what do yall think? The body's pretty beat up (doors hit on the front fenders causing em to bend in, rear ended tailgate, dents near marker lights, numerous decent sized dents in the bedsides), and places where the paint has been bashed off is starting to look pretty obvious.

Now, what would yall do. Plunk a dog gone good amount of money down for new body panels, then Herculiner it once I get em tacked on, OR say *BLEEP* it, and just Herculine what I got and spend that money on something else for the truck?

I mean it IS my daily driver so I wouldn't mind havin a nice dent-less body for a while. But I DO still take it offroadin alot and I aint none too gentle on it so... I dunno yall, what would ya do if yaller in my shoes?

all_terrain17 03-08-2007 06:51 PM

Dents are just good conversation pieces :D

89silverpu 03-08-2007 06:58 PM

Just "bleep it" its and 18 year old truck. (4runner.....sorry) If anyone says anything about how it looks ghetto or whatever with the dents, just roll over there car. haha:hillbill: Those are well earned battle scars.

RadRacer'86 03-08-2007 07:07 PM

I agree with bleeb it. Although I have the same problem with the doors bending the quarter pannels and I plan to get new ones from ToyotaFinerGlass.com. Maybe do quarter pannels only? I don't like that the hit the door.

SwampThing 03-08-2007 07:55 PM

Yall do make some good points. I think I just make go ahead and go with the "Bleep It" route. Gettin new panels would be like putting a neon lights on a pinto... No matter how much you dress it up, it's still a pinto. I know I'm gonna abuse it till the panels fall off (then probably tie it back on with zip ties. then once that breaks, i'll upgrade to bailing wire. then once that breaks, have them tack welded on lol.), so why waste money if it's gonna get just as messed up within a few months.

Yeah rad, it really annoys the piss outta me when the doors hit... My front quarters are probably the most beat up of the body panels. But see the thing I wonder is, if we do get new front quarter panels, won't they just get bent in the same? Cause I've tried hammering it into every position, and it still hits regardless...

SwampThing 03-08-2007 08:14 PM

Oh, and I stopped by o'reillys today, and I saw that they have almost the same thing as Herculiner, called Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating. Can get a gallon for $51 compared to a gallon of Herculiner for $98. Anyone ever used it, or know how it holds up?

notanymore 03-08-2007 09:51 PM

isnt when the doors are hitting the quarter panel it means your doors are adjusted wrong or something like that?

yotasavg 03-08-2007 10:02 PM

i think the duplicolor is fine. i've used it before and now it's going on my runner. just make sure you sand a little first. it likes a rough surface.

SwampThing 03-08-2007 11:00 PM

So will I have to sand blast the paint off, or just rough sand with something like 60 grit?

And I dunno how much I can adjust my doors, there's a bolt, and a hole. Bolt goes in hole. Don't think I can just it much more than that lmao. I actually took off my doors and top today. Startin to smell like spring time, so the doors and top aint goin back on till winter! Maybe yall's doors a little bit different than mine, to where yall can adjust em. Shoot, I dunno!

Rcross 03-08-2007 11:03 PM

I used the duplicolor to paint a rear bumper I made for my friends Ranger. So far he has attacked a tree and a full size GMC attacked the bumper and so far it hasnt been scratched. Oh yeah the GMC had to get a new grill hood and radiator while my friend drove the Ranger home with no damage.:D

sts2usnss 03-09-2007 05:53 AM

I like the idea of the Duplicolor. As soon as it gets to be a little warmer outside on a constant basis I am doing my Runner as well.

Yota Tony 03-09-2007 06:06 AM

It's gonna get bash up again so, don't worry about it.

Personally, I wouldn't Herculine the whole thing though.

Etype R 03-09-2007 06:53 AM

For the front fenders, pound them out with a hammer until the doors clear again. And if you need to, open up the bolt holes so you can slide them forward more.