Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

NEW amateur yota Rider! :D

Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW amateur yota Rider! :D

Hey GUYS!

I just got a 1988 Toyota Pickup 2.4L 4x4 MONSTER! Will be placing photos later. It needs alot of work, and want to restore it. However, I dont know ANYTHING about cars/mechanics. I would like to know where i can learn ( apart from taking a mechanics course) to fix my RIG up. For you to know how bad I am, I dont know the difference of an INTAKE and a TRANSMISSION so I guess i need to learn the basics first. Any ideas?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need a truck bed full of $100 bills.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 AM

Hahahahahaha any real advice bob?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 AM

Most everyone is going to tell you to search. We all (so far as I know) have lives of our own and kinda hate spoon-feeding new folks. Heck, I've been here less than a year, so I probably still count as a noob myself.

I can tell you that the internet is your friend. You can literally type in "toyota pickup (anything)" and something useful will pop up. Of course, now that I typed that I'm wondering what "toyota pickup hotties" would turn up, but maybe that's just me.

Youtube is a good resource for basic mechanical skills, surprisingly enough. A whole lot of people post video tutorials there. If you know what you are looking for, it has a wealth of information. Speaking of that, you really need to nail down exactly what your problem is and start posting specific questions. If you say, "The truck needs a lot of help" without posting anything specific, we really cannot help you. If you want really good help, post pictures or video of your problem. I have seen that those two bits of information will double or triple the number of helpful responses you get.

I will leave you with one piece of advise. Put everything important about your truck in your forum signature. That way, any time you ask a question, we will all immediately know the details of the vehicle you are asking about. The two biggest differences in our trucks are the 4cyl vs. 6cyl engine, and they are completely different (including many parts of the drivetrain as well). Yours is probably the 22RE, so put that in your sig. Put the 4x4 part too

Last edited by Sturmcrow; 06-03-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Lefty loosey righty tighty and auto zone on speed dail, all you'll need
And maybe a fsm or Haynes Manuel
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Like Sturmcrow said, be sure to search before asking questions on how to do something or diagnose something. That being said, there are a LOT of helpful folks on this board who have helped me with numerous topics over the years. The main thing I've found is that, if you're mechanically inclined and willing to try, you can do just about anything. Just figure on the cost exceeding standard parts because you'll probably foul a few other things up as you learn. That's what I've done over the years, and earlier this year I spent a whole month working on a friend's Volkswagen, doing several fixes that were above and beyond anything I'd ever done without a more knowledgeable friend helping me along. 2 months later everything seems to be working great. That's why I say just don't be afraid to try. Take your time and find all the information you can, and dig on that sucker!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
find or make friends that knows what they are doing and start asking questions to learn from them. you would be surprised how many people would rather show someone how to work on there own vehicle, rather then do the work for you.
with no prior experience, im guessing you have little to no tools either. so go buy a decent mechanics tool set. you will need more metric stuff rather than SAE for toyota work.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 AM

+1 on tools. As many as you can buy. Pawn shops and yard sales are great places to find some old guys complete set of craftsmans or snap-ons. Don't skimp on tools or you'll be buying stuff twice.

Find the factory service manual (FSM) and get a haynes/chiltons repair manual. There're so many youtube repair videos out there.

PICS PICS PICS
Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Stetson_md
auto zone on speed dail
I've lost all faith in our local Chain auto parts stores, I buy mostly offline or from locally owned part stores. Cheap chinese parts suck!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Sturmcrow
Youtube is a good resource for basic mechanical skills, surprisingly enough. A whole lot of people post video tutorials there. ...
Unfortunately, Youtube is also full of "tutorials" by people who I wouldn't let change my oil. How can you tell? Often times you can't, but if someone is removing ball joints with the rig held up on scissors jack ....

So where can you get reliable information? Use the Good Book. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/ (Often referred to here as FSM: Factory Service Manual) Read it. Cover to cover. This manual is for a '93, but it is 95% applicable to your rig.

Another excellent resource is http://www.autoshop101.com/ . These articles are written by Toyota, and while not specifically applicable to 2nd gen trucks, they are about the right vintage. These are especially helpful for diagnostics; if you don't know what the knock sensor is supposed to do, you could spend a lot of time chasing nothing.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 AM

If you don't know the difference between an intake and a transmission, then you probably shouldn't be tackling a project like this. You're gonna tear it all apart and then realize that you got in way over your head.

If you decide to do this, you should realize that it might take a while, maybe years. A FSM will be a large asset. Surfing the web and forums is probably the best way to answer your questions along the way. Just remember that probably all of your questions are already answered so don't just post simple questions in forums. It's been covered countless times and people will probably just bash you instead of answering your question because you didn't take the time to search.

Good luck
Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM

Welcome! Looking forward to pics.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM

WOW thanks for all the help guys. Scope I think your comment was the most useful. Definitely going to read up on the FSM. Thanks for the resources.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:04 PM

Liloscar, I second on all references to a factory manual. Auto mechanics isn't difficult, but it isn't something you jump right into. Good, personal instruction will be invaluable (a family member, friend, or school instructor) in learning automotive basics. Anyone can learn to turn a wrench when a book says "turn the wrench", but building mechanical dexterity and learning to properly troubleshoot is key. Now go post some pictures.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 PM

My advice about learning how stuff works... start with the basics. Goto howstuffworks and get lost, or get lost in google, or youtube, whatever the case. Learn how the 4 cylinder internal combustion engine works on its most basic levels, then start reading about any emissions systems that are involved. then read more... and more... and more... and more... go change your spark plugs. take stuff apart, document everything, then put it back together. sooner or later, it will all start to click. I have to warn you though, the internet is filled with good information... it its NOT, however, there is a lot of forum readers (not this one as ive seen) who spout information like they know what they are talking about, when in reality, they are just regurgitating what they read.

free information is worth exactly what you pay for it...

that being said, enjoy the ride!

Last edited by slo6i; 06-04-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM

We all started somewhere, I remember in high school when my dad showed me how to change my own oil for the first time how good it made me feel.
Buying an older yota is what really made me learn how to turn a wrench. When stuff broke I got on here, figured out what was wrong with the help of all you folks, and learned how to fix it.

Get a basic tool kit, the fsm, a good jack, jack stands, a breaker bar and a torque wrench. The specialty tools you will collect as needed.

The biggest thing for me was to get over the fear of not being able to put stuff back together correctly.
Once i came up with a good system thet worked for me, I haven't had a problem I couldn't solve yet.

If you have to remove parts and vacuum hoses that you cannot name, then number them. Label both sides if the hose and where it goes, put hardware in a labeled baggy, etc... Try to organize parts together as they come off. You cannot be too organized, but you can feel like an idiot when you put it all in a pile and the only difference is the lengths of the hardware. Painters tape, a sharpee and a digital camera are your friend.