YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Need some help, replaced radiator. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/need-some-help-replaced-radiator-147059/)

alcarames 06-08-2008 09:44 AM

Need some help, replaced radiator.

I just replaced the radiator myself on my 1988 toyota 4runner V6 with automatic transmission. I replaced it because I accidentally put a large gash in the old one and all the fluid pissed out, I think the block may have been drained as well. So the new radiator is in and I fill up the radiator itself, and start the engine and I'm getting a automatic transmission temp light on and brake light is on even though the ebrake is off and a battery light.

The temp gauge wasn't moving, I tried turning on the heat to fill the heater core and after that the gauge seemed to register but the fluid level in the radiator isn't going down. I only put in a gallon of fluid plus a gallon of water, I'm pretty sure it was much more than 2 gallons which got pissed out. How can I make sure I don't have any air in the system, and if so how do I get it out? I've been trying to run it with the rad cap off, is this wrong? Please help!:think:

DeathCougar 06-08-2008 09:51 AM

#1 you need to take the hose off the heater valve to allow it to burp. You've created an air pocket, and that is an easy way to eliminate it.

#2 Check your fuses, and figure out why your lights are on. Those lights either mean you have a blown fuse, or your alternator is bad.

just a 22re 06-08-2008 10:01 AM

ok death guy is almost right then there

why you auto light is on.......
did you reconect the trany lines on the rad? and did you recheck the fluid in the trany? could be low and the air is hot causing the light to come on

battery light...........
did you reconect the alt wire on the battery or on the alt it self i know i took mine off when i rebuilt but almost the same thing here and or you got it relly wet with all the fluid splashing around dry it off with a hair dryer (get one from your mom or old lady)......or did you forget the belts??? did you retighten them? go check a few things out and we can help

to burp the coolant yes that hose is the easyies but you didnt do it so now you have to idle her for a wile with the cap off and let it "over heat" untill the termalstat opens and then just add a lil more here and there but you may want to rub the upper hose so the bubbles can get out lol hope i helped you a lil

alcarames 06-08-2008 10:07 AM

Thanks guys, I retightened everything but I'll double check everything again. Which hose is the one your referring to take off, the top hose or the bottom one?

just a 22re 06-08-2008 11:09 AM

on the back of the engine bay on the fire wall (why do they call it a fire wall i mean fire can and will go right though it with all the hole in it??) you will see a valve theres a cable on it and a water hose going into it and one going to the heater core you take the one off the goes into it (from the engine to the valve)
i think thats how you do it i just always keep the cap of and run it til it burps and refill it thats it about 20 minutes and your done