Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need opinions on a fuel tank swap.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need opinions on a fuel tank swap.

I've got an '87 4x4 with a 22R. Last week I had noticed a bad fuel smell coming from around the truck. To make a long story short, a buddy of mine and I peeled the bed off my truck. It appears one of the fuel lines (RIGHT out of the pickup cover on the tank) has rusted to a point to where pin-holes are starting to develop. It's looking like I am going to have to replace the tank, and all the parts associated with it. The sending unit cover screws, and the pickup cover screws are rusted so bad, they look like little rust balls. I really don't care to drill or grind on them for obvious reasons. lol.

Advance Auto Parts has the tank for $250 (ugh). I've thought about a fuel cell, but I would prefer not to have one in the bed. I've also thought about a junk yark tank, but I figure they can't be much better off than the one I have.

I'm just curious if anyone else has ever had similar problems, and what they did to resolve the issue.

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
With advance wanting 250 for probably just the fuel tank, you would still be spending a lot more to get the fuel pump and sending unit and other things.

It is definately worth it to go to the junkyard and atleast look around.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

My 87 was rusted like that once... just did a junkyard swap... most yards pull the tanks them selves before the car goes into the u-pic area for insurance reasons [at least around here anyway] so you can inspect the tank before you buy. When you get the "new" one paint around the top of the tank with a good anti-rust paint before you put her up all should be good for a long time.

** Don't forget to pull the ending unit and check the tank inside for crud make sure the tank is completely drained of whatever old fuel is in there.
This is also a good time to put a new filter screen on the pick-up if it needs it.

Most yards will warranty the tank for 30-90 days or so so you really can't loose with a yard tank.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM

I appreciate the input guys!

It looks as if I may have lucked out. A guy I know says he has a tank that like new. I think he pulled it off his truck and put a fuel cell on. He is going to check out the condition of it tonight and let me know. $50
Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try some gas tank putty first? Works like a charm sometimes. Permatex makes it, as do a bunch of other brands. It's an epoxy putty that you knead up and then put on like chewing gum.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 AM

I obtained some "PIG Putty" from the stockroom here at work. Sounds kind of like the same stuff, comes in a tube, you cut some off knead it together and then stick it on, and within 20 min it can be drilled or machined. I was going to use it to buy me some time. It says it has to have a dry surface to bond to. The line appears to be so thin, even after drying it off, you could just see the rust absorbing more fuel. So needless to say it wouldn't stick at all.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I JUST had to do that on my 85.... you should be able to find all the parts in a good pull for one low price, and swap the whole enchilada.