Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need more info Red 1988 SR5 Ext Cab 132,320 orignal miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need more info Red 1988 SR5 Ext Cab 132,320 orignal miles

Hello Guys,

It's been a few years since I posted here, life keeps happening and making it very hard to do what I had planned to do with this truck, we call Frank.

So with that being stated, I'm trying to get a fair gauge of value for the truck as I need to send it to a better home.

Here are the specs, it's a Stock Red 1988 Toyota 5 Speed 22RE with original 132,320 miles. It has a nice matching leer cap on the back and the back it fairly rust free, the passenger side has a quarter panel that is starting to rust and has a few small holes. The interior is in fair shape, the bench seat need the drivers side springs adjusted and or replaced. The original heating system is on a bypass toggle, since the linkage broke. It needs a new water pump and the ebrake cable snapped. The tires are good, brakes are good, engine runs well, drives well, but has not been inspected in years. Hence why I need to get it to a better home, before it's too late and it rots to nothing.

So should I try and fix all these things myself, if so would it be worth the investment in time and money? Or is it better to sell it as is and just explain everything I know about it? I want to be as honest as I can, but I think it's still a good little truck with some needed TLC, it would be a great little truck.

Thanks for any input, it will be very helpful in conducting a fair deal and or preparing for the future.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by ingenuitor; 05-17-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
A picture would be helpful. The truck in your avatar is gorgeous but it's not red so you are selling a different truck. You didn't say it's 4WD so I assume 2WD? Around here, not far from you, 2WD in medium rusty condition would probably go for $900 to $1800. 2WDs are plentiful and cheap.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Use the "freeness" of Craigslist to your advantage. Place an ad for $2000. Wait a week. Drop the price as necessary.

Don't try to guess what something is worth to someone. Just get it on display and be willing to negotiate.

And don't forget pictures. Come on man. Beauty is in the EYE, not the ear of the beholder. Gotta see it!

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
A picture would be helpful. The truck in your avatar is gorgeous but it's not red so you are selling a different truck. You didn't say it's 4WD so I assume 2WD? Around here, not far from you, 2WD in medium rusty condition would probably go for $900 to $1800. 2WDs are plentiful and cheap.
It's a 4x4 sorry, I will load some pics here very soon, just took a few just now in the rain lol, plan to clean it up before selling it, plus putting the battery back in, which died on me. But again it is what is and I will not hide anything, I still think it's a great little truck for the right person, no bed rust, it's been covered it's entire life.

Thanks for reminding me of that VITAL missing 4x4 detail.

Last edited by ingenuitor; 05-17-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:05 AM

Last edited by ingenuitor; 05-17-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
Use the "freeness" of Craigslist to your advantage. Place an ad for $2000. Wait a week. Drop the price as necessary.

Don't try to guess what something is worth to someone. Just get it on display and be willing to negotiate.

And don't forget pictures. Come on man. Beauty is in the EYE, not the ear of the beholder. Gotta see it!

Good luck.
So I'm not so sure $2000 is enough in this case, I feel like it's worth maybe more, but I also know it's not worth as much as I would like it to be. So again, I'm trying to get a fair gauge of value by doing this post.

Then:

A: Fix / inspect and sell > but will it pay off to do this in the end? I'm fairly sure of everything it needs to be sea worthy again. Water pump, brake cable, battery, wipers, have to check brakes, tires, exhaust etc. But I do not think they are an issue, but that is an unknown to be honest, it's been 3 years since it was on the road, but I do start it twice a year, but with a bad water pump, it leaks out fast. So that deff needs fixed first.

B: Sell as is ?

Again these are items I do not know and thus trying to figure out, thanks guys in any direction you can help, I want to be fair, but I also don't want to give it away, it runs well for it's age and condition.

Thanks again for any help...

Last edited by ingenuitor; 05-17-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:51 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
so it's been parked since at least 2013? at some point all of the rubber in the brake circuits will need replacing; hoses, master/slave cylinders, calipers, etc.

anyone who's looking to buy should know that, and be ready to deal with it, so you don't have to warn 'em about it.

if you think that $2k is too low, double it, and see what happens.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by osv
so it's been parked since at least 2013? at some point all of the rubber in the brake circuits will need replacing; hoses, master/slave cylinders, calipers, etc.

anyone who's looking to buy should know that, and be ready to deal with it, so you don't have to warn 'em about it.

if you think that $2k is too low, double it, and see what happens.
Oh yuck, hmmmm ok agreed, thanks for letting me know, I missed that part.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
how does the frame look? just surface rust?

i'd drive it on some dirt, and make sure that 4wd engages... looks like it has manual hubs?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by osv
how does the frame look? just surface rust?

i'd drive it on some dirt, and make sure that 4wd engages... looks like it has manual hubs?
Seemly yes and yes the 4WD does engage, I used it every year, it still drives, I drive it a few times a year, but not too far, I move it so the street sweeper can get to the road and the snow plow can do it's thing a few times a year. Sometimes more, but still not enough I guess, since it's not inspected anymore and leaks radiator fluid quickly, so no long drives.

Last edited by ingenuitor; 05-17-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:07 PM

So I started it up today to move it, no problems, starts right up runs great drives great, breaks good, tires need air for sure, but otherwise, a good cleaning and some serious TLC and it's going to be a great truck for sure. Hard to knock these trucks, they just run forever with little to no maintenance, what else today does that?

Again should I fix it up, would I get more or would it be a wash?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:21 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by ingenuitor
... the back it fairly rust free, the passenger side has a quarter panel that is starting to rust and has a few small holes. The interior is in fair shape, the bench seat need the drivers side springs adjusted and or replaced. The original heating system is on a bypass toggle, since the linkage broke. It needs a new water pump and the ebrake cable snapped. The tires are good, brakes are good, engine runs well, drives well, but has not been inspected in years.
So there are two kinds of buyers for this sort of truck. The first wants relatively cheap reliable transportation, something they can get in and drive. The 2nd wants a project vehicle. The first type will probably pay more than the 2nd.

Neither one will be put off by slight rust on the fender, weak seat springs, or other cosmetic defects. Even a non-standard heater control isn't much of an issue as long as it works reliably and you tell them about it. Fixing the water pump and possibly the ebrake would be important to customer #1, less so to #2.

I'd suggest giving it a thorough cleaning, inside and out - a dirty truck never shows well. Fix the water pump and then put it up for sale.

Not sure what you mean by "not inspected in years". If that means it's not street legal, that's certainly a deal-breaker for customer #1. In Front Range Colorado the seller is required to provide proof of up-to-date emissions compliance - don't know about Pennsylvania.

Last edited by RJR; 05-19-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
So there are two kinds of buyers for this sort of truck. The first wants relatively cheap reliable transportation, something they can get in and drive. The 2nd wants a project vehicle. The first type will probably pay more than the 2nd.

Neither one will be put off by slight rust on the fender, weak seat springs, or other cosmetic defects. Even a non-standard heater control isn't much of an issue as long as it works reliably and you tell them about it. Fixing the water pump and possibly the ebrake would be important to customer #1, less so to #2.

I'd suggest giving it a thorough cleaning, inside and out - a dirty truck never shows well. Fix the water pump and then put it up for sale.

Not sure what you mean by "not inspected in years". If that means it's not street legal, that's certainly a deal-breaker for customer #1. In Front Range Colorado the seller is required to provide proof of up-to-date emissions compliance - don't know about Pennsylvania.
Alright, that is what I was thinking, but didn't know for sure, thanks for the help. Yes it's not street legal at this time, 3 years since it was inspected, too many things have been happening, not all good and thus I let things go a little. The great thing is this is prob one of few cars you can do that with and bring it back to full sea worthyness. Thanks again.