Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need education on suspension..wobbly as I drive.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need education on suspension..wobbly as I drive.

I tried searching and have been reading many postings, but I dont know where to start or what to look for. I hope you can get me started.

Im the original owner of my 1994 4R 4X4 with 119K miles. It is not handling very well anymore. When I am driving, I notice the steering wheel is not as tight and responsive as before. When I swing the steering wheel left and right, I notice the handling is not as stable as I recall. When I am turning, I notice the truck leans a bit more than I think is safe. I'm having difficulty explaining it.

I replaced the shocks, but that did not help.

Can you help me get started what to replace, what to search on the forum or provide links what I need to replace on the suspension? What terms or part names should I pay attention to? Im still learning so thank you for your time educating me. Good Karma to you for educating me.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Bushings worn out? I'd check your Idler arm, i have a 92 4runner and at around 110k miles I noticed it was starting to get wobbly and its just the idler arm having play in it.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would change the front bushings if their bad. Heres a link for the bushings:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Front...Q5fAccessories
Wow thats quite a big link hope it works.
As for the steering I wpuld replace the inner and outer tie rods, oh and upper and lower ball joints, and maybe an idler arm. Heres a whole kit minus the steering stabilizer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball-...item3ef0312eee
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And for the steering stabilizer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Steer...item2ea470396e
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1st two posts and the bushings are bad on a stock truck with 120k miles? WT...

1st thing I'd check is the idler arm... All it does is hold the other side of the relay rod up. The bushings in it are plastic and can breakup and with the grease have the consistency of peanut butter... Grab the bottom of it and try and move it around... You MIGHT have to, or want to jack it up... Depends.

2nd would be the relay rod itself. That is under recall and last time I checked Toyota not only replaced it but gave an alignment with it for FREE!

3rd is, it's a 4Runner... The coils are known to sag and that most definitely indicates to me body roll. If you want to lift it you can get coils from a Fj80. They're good for about 2-3" of lift and you can BJ spacer the front to match it up some...

EDIT: Whoops! Just read the rest of his sig...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-23-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Many thanks for your posting.

I booked marked the ebay. This is what I was looking for. Pictures help tremendously.

I have access to this front end service kit.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/astr...8-p-11696.aspx

I also have access to the lisle inner tie rod tool.
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-45750-In.../dp/B0002SRGFW

Hopefully these are the only specialty items I will need.

Now I have to get write ups or videos to help me learn.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
1st thing I'd check is the idler arm... All it does is hold the other side of the relay rod up. The bushings in it are plastic and can breakup and with the grease have the consistency of peanut butter... Grab the bottom of it and try and move it around... You MIGHT have to, or want to jack it up... Depends.

2nd would be the relay rod itself. That is under recall and last time I checked Toyota not only replaced it but gave an alignment with it for FREE!

3rd is, it's a 4Runner... The coils are known to sag and that most definitely indicates to me body roll. If you want to lift it you can get coils from a Fj80. They're good for about 2-3" of lift and you can BJ spacer the front to match it up some...

EDIT: Whoops! Just read the rest of his sig...
Thank you Tried 4x2signN. I will try your three steps first before I buy anything. When you mention the coils are known to sag, are you referring to the back end of the truck saging? My truck rear really sags. Is your 3rd point to fix this problem?

I will call Toyota about the relay rod recall.

Im searching for writeups now...many thanks. If anyone has any links, my special gratitude if you can forward them.

thank you thank you for teaching me.

Last edited by arielb1; 02-23-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Originally Posted by arielb1
When you mention the coils are known to sag, are you referring to the back end of the truck saging? My truck rear really sags. Is your 3rd point to fix this problem?

I was afraid you were going to ask this... There are a few ways.

I have a feeling you want to keep your truck stock... I don't blame you.

I have a 4Runner and the way I've treated it I don't know why it doesn't need springs now. My only guess is that my driving habits keep them limber...

If I wanted to fix the coils, and keep it stock height, 1st thing I'd do is either buy replacement coils or try and find an aftermarket coil with a higher spring rate.

The reason I'd get factory springs 1st is b/c you prolly got 100,000 miles out of the ones you got now... I can't see newer ones not lasting as long.

To fix the problem, (not return it to stock, and wait another 100,000 miles) you can try and find better springs which will prolly ride noticeably firmer, and or put an air ride in the back.

Like this

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...r-springs.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-59561/?rtype=10

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-23-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by arielb1
Im searching for writeups now...many thanks. If anyone has any links, my special gratitude if you can forward them.

In the stickies... I don't know why "relay rod" isn't in the title...

Special Service Campaign for 90-95 4Runners, 89-95 Trucks and 93-98 T100s
Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you Tried4X2,

Great idea...I like the air lift

Im leaning on getting the suspensionconnection for my 94 truck. For $85, I can take care of the sagging. This has bothered me for so many years.

My concern is if I buy new stock springs, I would still end up with the sagging again since it has been this way as long as I can remember I had the truck.

If I buy the airlift, then I wont have to purchase newer springs. I would keep the existing springs and add the airlift and Im good to go. Any negatives of this idea? I will purchase this weekend.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...2-4runner.html

Thanks for the link to the relay rod. You went over the top for me.

It will be interesting how it will ride after the airlift.

many thanks. Im very grateful.