Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

NAPA ATM Brand

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAPA ATM Brand

I'm getting ready to replace the front calipers and rear wheel cylinders on my '87 4Runner. I've talked to the guys at NAPA, and they have several different brands of product. When it comes to the calipers, ATM is their most expensive. I asked why, and they said it was only OEM new or remanufactured equipment (ATM being the in-house source for OEM). Has anyone tried the ATM brand from them? They have to order in the calipers and cylinders from the main warehouse, so I can't see the box or find out if it is worth it by asking. This is a new line for them. I just don't want to order something and find it made in China, I would be forced to send it back. No f^&king Chinese parts on my Japanese truck!
Old 05-03-2008, 03:19 PM

LOL...its pretty much "you get what you pay for". I bought $13 brake shoes for my 75 chevy 3/4 ton truck with like 13.5" drums!!! They sucked.

OEM is about the BEST you can get...IMHO
Old 05-03-2008, 05:25 PM

my truck is basicaly made of napa parts..i use napa everything excpet for senors and very specfic engine componets...i also get a discount casue i work at a local shop
Old 05-03-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you replacing them because you "HAVE" to or because it was 'recommended'?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Napa is not OEM...ATM is not OEM...

Just go to the toy dealer and pick up some remanufactured calipers
Old 05-04-2008, 05:30 AM

I have gotten alot of parts from Napa ( account cheaper) but we also have a "PARTS FOR IMPORTS " store that have japan made parts.

I suggest if you wanna keep it jappines try 2 find one in your area.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:09 AM

Unfortunately, in my area of central Kentucky, there are very limited choices for parts for Toyota. The online dealer I use for specific things gives me a good discount, but I ain't a shellin' out several hundred bucks for genuine Toyota calipers! Even the import parts store in Louisville has to order these kind of things in. And I'll be G*d d@^ned if I get Chinese crap because they never seem to have a clue about where stuff comes from. NAPA is the most useful of parts stores around here, and I was actually looking to find out if anyone has bought the ATM brand from them. Don't need any questions as to whether or not I should replace them, as the entire brake system is being redone. The previous owner neglected the hell out of it. I replaced the brake booster because it was ruined by fluid leaking out of the master cylinder. I replaced the master cylinder because it leaked (probably from the brown goo that was the brake fluid.) I've flushed the system twice at all points to get out the goo. I still have lousy braking, and I'm tired of it. After attempting to rebleed the brakes yesterday, I have no proper fluid flow from the caliper (this is with both the wife pushing the pedal, and with me below the truck with a vacuum bleeder attatched!) This leads me to one conclusion- the calipers are shot. (And probably the rear cylinders as well.) I don't want to screw around rebuilding them. I just want a high quality reman. product from the USA, Japan, or western Europe. By the way, when do we nuke China?
Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pepboys has a special going on.
$9.99 for a normal rotor from Prostop.
$24.99 for Platinum Brake Rotor from Prostop.
$19.99 for Platinum Brake Pads (set) from Prostop.
Also, $24.99 for Ceramic Pad set (no brake dust).
Old 05-04-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, and to add they have a $14.99 "Remanufactured Caliper" special too!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remember you get what you pay for...skimping on a safety (i.e. brake) component is your choice I suppose....
Old 05-04-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Why don't you just find out where ATM parts are manufactured? NAPA will tell you.

Edit: I ran a google search. Hard to really find anything at all on the namebrand other than where the supplier/manufacturer is located......San Diego.
http://www.macraesbluebook.com/Searc...company=833576

BTW, the term OEM can be defined in two ways and is not necessarily specific to any one given company. 1) A company that is federally-liscensed to manufacture a product and required to warranty or guarantee the product. OR 2) A company that is contracted to manufacture a product to be used in another company's product and/or resold in the contractors packaging and label. For example, Toyota buys parts from Aisin/Seco to use in their vehicles and are able to resell replacement parts in Toyota packaging. They are officially "franchised".

So, therein is the discrepancy. ATM can be/is called OEM because they meet the federal requirements to do so. It does not mean genuine Toyota parts, but it also doesn't mean cheap aftermarket parts (made in China) that are not bound to the same level of liability. Different standards of quality.

That being said, there are plenty of OEM quality companies other than Aisin for brake parts. Wagner is a good example, and can be had for much less than the Toyota label.

Last edited by thook; 05-04-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a cheap bastard . Try the ATMs!! Bleed 'em well, and try a few panic stops on pavement. If they're going to fail, that'll be the time: Max traction and high pressure.

Most reputable companies will not sell a sub-standard part because there is too much competition in the auto industry to risk getting labeled.