Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

mysterious leak (3vze 1992 4runner)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mysterious leak (3vze 1992 4runner)

hi guys- I have a mysterious leak coming from the passenger side.
I have been checking the fluids over the past few days, and the oil level is fine, pwr steering fine, coolant OK, brake fluid OK, windshield wiper OK.

what other fluids could be responsible for a passenger side leak? Fluid seems very clear. No odor. Could this be something related to the A/C? Have not used the A/C all winter.

thanks for helping me troubleshoot this
taiko
Old 03-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you using the AC now? is it oily at all? How much is leaking ( acouple dots or a puddle)
Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Is this on the ground? Where exactly is it dripping from?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

leak

Hi Kevin and TN Rabbit- thanks for the fast reply!
I'm not using the A/C at all, have not used it all winter. the leak is more than a few drops...not a big puddle, but it is definitely losing fluid from somewhere. it's enough to start running down the driveway after a few days...but the thing is that all my fluids that I check are tiptop.

oil, pwr steering, coolant, brake, washer all seem fine.
I switched to synthetic everything recently, should have mentioned that first.
redline oil, redline manual tranny and trsnfr case, royal purple front/rear diff

but this leak is definitely passenger side. it drips off my budbuilt and down past the sonoran steel truss (you can see them in the second photo).
Attached Thumbnails mysterious leak (3vze 1992 4runner)-leak1.jpg   mysterious leak (3vze 1992 4runner)-mysteryleak2.jpg  
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When using your A/C (or when your air vent selector is selected to defrost the windshield), your A/C compressor will run intermittently which cools and dries the incoming air. The moisture that condenses from the air drips out a rubber drain hose which comes through the firewall and hangs down around your front passenger tire area. In the winter, you will not often see any drips coming from it, because the air is already so dry (assuming you live somewhere that gets cold and dry during winter, that is), but on a hot, humid summer day, when the A/C is on, that hose will drip like crazy (assuming your A/C system is fully charged and working properly). Check to see if it's leaking from that hose.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 03-06-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 AM

what color is it? what does it smell like?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by 91TPU
From his very first post, "Fluid seems very clear. No odor", so... clear... and nothing.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 03-06-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91TPU
READ the very first post: "Fluid seems very clear. No odor."

EDIT: Wow! We both jumpt on that one!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

color/clarity of leak

it is clear. I put a white piece of paper on it, and it did not discolor the page.
It is perhaps not pure water however as I can get a bit of viscosity when I rub it together. I am using red coolant so I would be able to see red on the paper if it were coolant, is this logic correct?
as far as A/C goes, I have not used it in months. I Do however use the defroster, and heater everyday. I'm visiting weasey in vancouver for cams in 3 weeks and he told me that he'd take a look, but I was hoping to stop this up before then if possible. thanks for the great response. this is why many minds are much better than one (especially better than my muddled one!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 AM

Yep, we're quick here at Yotatech!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by taikowaza
it is clear. I put a white piece of paper on it, and it did not discolor the page.
It is perhaps not pure water however as I can get a bit of viscosity when I rub it together. I am using red coolant so I would be able to see red on the paper if it were coolant, is this logic correct?
as far as A/C goes, I have not used it in months. I Do however use the defroster, and heater everyday. I'm visiting weasey in vancouver for cams in 3 weeks and he told me that he'd take a look, but I was hoping to stop this up before then if possible. thanks for the great response. this is why many minds are much better than one (especially better than my muddled one!
But where is it coming from? With a puddle that big, you gotta be able to trace it to something. Take a look for that hose dangling down right near the back of your front passenger tire, and see if it's coming from there.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Maybe put a container under the rig over night to collect it and better anylze what exaclty it could be.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Im gonna have to go with, its from using your defrostor, or condensation from the exhaust???
Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

TASTE IT!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

there's a hole in my bucket! dear Lyza!

sounds good, I will use a bucket to catch those offending drops and check it out. I'd love to get in there and trace the leak but I must admit that removing the budbuilt from the sonoran steel truss (those are beefy bits o' hardware and HEAVY dudes!) is low on my list of 'fun things to do with the 4runner today' that said maybe it needs to be done! if this fluid is from the A/C, I don't care too much, as I won't be using it for a while...if it's something more serious (worst nightmare would be impending HG doom) than I'd want to know. other frightening possibility is that the starter (which was ghastly in itself to replace last month with those thorley headers creating the blocking bars of entanglement for the starter) might be getting dripped on...water torture for the starter!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cormel
Maybe put a container under the rig over night to collect it and better anylze what exaclty it could be.
or you could do this......it's more BORING, though...
Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 AM

You shouldn't need to remove the skidplate. Try to reach in from the top in the engine compartment to find that hose. Look down the firewall right on the passenger side. It comes out through the firewall, and dangles down to nothing.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

leaks

well I went out and checked again. Some new info that makes me think it may be an oil leak after all! first, those tubes leading down from the firewall aren't leaking. Turns out that the fluid is first falling on the skid, and then running along the skid and coming out on the passenger side due to the angle of the driveway. I checked the color again and it's a lot less clear than it was last time! sure looks suspiciously like oil to me today. problem solved...and changing to synthetic may indeed have caused a bit of a leak. I've heard that it's an old wives' tale that synthetic being smaller 'finds the places to leak through'...but I sure have heard it from a lot of people. I'm having all my seals changed with weasey and I know that he will be able to get to the bottom of this! I'll report back when I learn more. in the meantime I will keep it topped up and put a bucket under there. Thanks for all your help! tallyho!
Old 03-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Power steering might e the culprit, clear at first put after leaking and picking up all the dirt and grease from the engine compartment could do it. Mine leeks like a siff.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

leak

thanks...hmm might be pwr steering too, but my levels are fine! no drop in either oil or pwr steering to compensate for all that fluid leak. there's the rub!
I bought the pwr steering pump rebuild kit from 1sttoyotaparts which is going in with the new water pump, cam and valve seals, oil seals etc. will definitely be a nice rebuild. I'm hoping to have a leak-free runner after all's said and done. by the way, and last question- is there anything that threatens to leak on the starter (anything placed strategically that could theoretically leak onto the starter, ie pwr steering pump or other?

Quick Reply: mysterious leak (3vze 1992 4runner)