86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My clutch is acting wierd

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My clutch is acting wierd

So I have a rebuilt 95 22re truck. The engine runs great, and the transmission shifts smoothly. The problem

My clutch will normally shift at a certain point,( to me it feel like its when my foot released about 3 inches ) but recently, it has been doing this funny thing where the clutch will try and disengage/ shift into gear at about an inch off the ground, causing me to chug/ almost kill the truck. This has only happened a handful of time, and was annoying, but today this happened...

Im sitting in a drive through, and I feel the clutch isn't right, I move the stick to neutral and I bring the clutch out, and it starts to die, so I push the clutch back in....all of the sudden the chugging doesn't stop and after about 15 to 30 seconds, the truck dies and the check engine light comes on....I restart the truck and nothing is wrong with. I works fine....

I am not a mechanic, nor do I know my way around engines, but this almost sounds like an electronic problem to me. Anybody experience anything like this or think they know the answer. I should take it to a mechanic, but if its something I can perform myself, I would rather do that.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:29 PM

Read your post twice. Unless I’m missing something, it sounds like a new clutch master and slave cylinder kit is needed. The master cylinder is easy to install. The slave is a bit tricky and my require assistance. Then it will need to be refilled with brake fluid and bled like brakes.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:17 PM

Thats what I have been gathering from looking through older posts. I have never had the clutch not work, but the engine dying while it was in neutral was a first. I didn't think it was possible for the clutch to "kill" the truck while it was in neutral. Im going to go and have the master and slave cylinder replaced. If that does not fix the issue, I will put in a new clutch. I bought this truck for life, and it has 300,000 miles on it, or it will roll over to 300,000 this week. Thank you for your reply and sorry for the crappy typing. I was a little flustered. Nothing has ever gone wrong on my truck before now.