Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My 86 4Runner losses throttle intermittently, cant set base timing......

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 86 4Runner losses throttle intermittently, cant set base timing......

Hello everyone,
I have been working on my 86 4runner (22RE) for about 3 years, and i've invested over 8 Gs on it and i cannot get it to run "right". Second re-built engine i've put on to it, and same problem as the last one, not running right.

It is almost like the more i invest on it the worst it runs. It was running "fine" when i bought it, other members of a 4runner club thought it was a v6 'cuz it had more strenght than any of theirs and was running bigger tires than any of them (35's) Later i found out that the old owner used it to tow boats in and out of the water from the beach, so it had amazing strenght, to move thoose tires and tow fishing boats on wet sand, any ways after some compression tests, the 4th cylinder was showing low compression (90) somebody mentioned re-building it, so we did. What was my surprise it ran worst, so i got a ported head, springs and a crower camshaft for strenght, we installed it with a mechanic friend and nothing really changed, so after some time i changed to a more quiet exhaust and i started to hear something on my engine so i checked it, i guess one of the pistons was scratching the cylinder, so we rebuilt another block, put bigger pistons on it and put it in with my ported head and cam,etc.....and then......NOTHING!! So i just resigned and drove it like that for 6 months and now im trying to fix the little details and im decided to make it run right but this morning it just started to run funny, i would gas it and it would shake (like when you are learning to drive stick) so i thought it was the clutch that was slipping, but after work it was worse, and it wasnt the clutch the idle would go up and down like dancing, so i decided to check it, so i unplugged the 1st spark plug cable and nothing changed, so i checked it , spark was there, even put a new spark plug and nothing, i would disconect any of the other cables and you could notice a diference but not with the first one, checked compression (160) so i disconected the TPS and nothing either!! I can drive it with the TPS disconnected, also i havent been able to set the base timing, i jump the test terinal and nothing changes, I NEED HELP, i love my truck and will never sell it but this is just too much, i feel like im waisting my time and money( and i dont mind to spend it in my baby-truck as long as it actually makes a difference) so if someone could give me any kind of advice i would appreciate it A LOT! Also the truck used to run great during cold weather but during heat i would not have power at all not even to keep 4th gear on a flat highway.
Thanks for reading and hope somebody knows anything about it
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 PM

Anyone??
Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by HAVASU4RUNNER
Hello everyone,
I have been working on my 86 4runner (22RE) for about 3 years, and i've invested over 8 Gs on it and i cannot get it to run "right". Second re-built engine i've put on to it, and same problem as the last one, not running right.

It is almost like the more i invest on it the worst it runs. It was running "fine" when i bought it, other members of a 4runner club thought it was a v6 'cuz it had more strenght than any of theirs and was running bigger tires than any of them (35's).

Later i found out that the old owner used it to tow boats in and out of the water from the beach, so it had amazing strenght, to move thoose tires and tow fishing boats on wet sand, anyways after some compression tests, the 4th cylinder was showing low compression (90) somebody mentioned re-building it, so we did.

What was my surprise it ran worst, so i got a ported head, springs and a crower camshaft for strenght, we installed it with a mechanic friend and nothing really changed, so after some time i changed to a more quiet exhaust and i started to hear something on my engine so i checked it, i guess one of the pistons was scratching the cylinder, so we rebuilt another block, put bigger pistons on it and put it in with my ported head and cam,etc.....and then......NOTHING!!

So i just resigned and drove it like that for 6 months and now im trying to fix the little details and im decided to make it run right but this morning it just started to run funny, i would gas it and it would shake (like when you are learning to drive stick) so i thought it was the clutch that was slipping, but after work it was worse, and it wasnt the clutch the idle would go up and down like dancing, so i decided to check it, so i unplugged the 1st spark plug cable and nothing changed, so i checked it , spark was there, even put a new spark plug and nothing, i would disconect any of the other cables and you could notice a diference but not with the first one, checked compression (160) so i disconected the TPS and nothing either!!

I can drive it with the TPS disconnected, also i havent been able to set the base timing, i jump the test terinal and nothing changes, I NEED HELP, i love my truck and will never sell it but this is just too much, i feel like im waisting my time and money( and i dont mind to spend it in my baby-truck as long as it actually makes a difference) so if someone could give me any kind of advice i would appreciate it A LOT! Also the truck used to run great during cold weather but during heat i would not have power at all not even to keep 4th gear on a flat highway.

Thanks for reading and hope somebody knows anything about it
Originally Posted by HAVASU4RUNNER
Anyone??
That stuff makes my eyes hurt let me introduce you to my friends "the period ." "the double space", and "the paragraph!"

So after editing all that up kind-of into paragraphs. I found..

"I can pull the #1 sparkplug cable and nothing changes. I can Pull the others and notice a difference. I checked the compression on #1 and got 160. I have spark on #1."

... paraphrased of course. So uhm yeah you probably put three or how many ever engines in and never inspected or tested anything like the #1 injector?

FSM link, use the manual. TPS Test&Adjustment, Injectors Flow&resistance, ECM voltage&harness-resistance. That outta get you started. Post back with the results, or questions of the test method if any give you problems.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 AM

Sounds like you have done a lot of guessing and kind of know how things work. What you are lacking in is a little better diagnostics skills. You would have saved yourself a lot of time and money if you would have had a legitimate shop Diagnose it for you. It sounds like your tps could bad. If you can't jump the connector leads and set base timing, that should be your first goal. A bad TPS will not allow it to jump. I bet it it's a TPS and a little more dialing in of any other gremlins.

Please get some help before you spend thousands more throwing parts at it hoping it would be right