Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Moving to Incirlik Turkey, Recommended Maintenance prior to bringing the Surf with me

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Incirlik Turkey, Recommended Maintenance prior to bringing the Surf with me

Hey yotatech, you guys have been a great help so far, so i figured i would post this since i need some more advice. A couple days ago i found out that i am leaving Okinawa in June of 2009 and going to Incirlik, Turkey for 2 years. I am extremely psyched about going and the best part is that i can bring my JDM Surf with me. Thing is, i dont know if toyotas are plentiful out there in turkey or not. I have heard that 4runners aren't really out there soi figured i need to make sure its good to go before i leave here. Can anyone tell me anything that i should definitely have done to my truck before i move? I plan on buying a headgasket kit and just bringing it with me, they have an auto hobby shop there where i can do all the work on my truck myself. but besides that, what else should i do as a preventative measure before i ship her there? i found a good donor truck today in the junkyard and was able to get some rust free doors and hood for my truck so my body will be all good now. all i need to do is grab some spare engine parts before i leave since they are plentiful here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks Brian
Old 09-05-2008, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I was at Incirlik from '96-2000; I could count the number of Yota pickups I saw in four years on one hand. I sure wish I had mine back then; it would've been a blast!

BE WARNED! Gas is the most expensive IN THE WORLD in Turkey at just under $12/gallon!!

I can recommend a helluva mechanic (great guy & dirt cheap!) in Adana; PM me if you need details.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
I was at Incirlik from '96-2000; I could count the number of Yota pickups I saw in four years on one hand. I sure wish I had mine back then; it would've been a blast!

BE WARNED! Gas is the most expensive IN THE WORLD in Turkey at just under $12/gallon!!

I can recommend a helluva mechanic (great guy & dirt cheap!) in Adana; PM me if you need details.

I am not too worried about the gas part, supposedly AAFES there has it at the same cost as the average stateside price, so as long as i only get gas on base, I should be good...PM sent about the mechanic....
Old 09-05-2008, 04:39 PM

That's awesome! Be sure to take alot of pictures so we can see what Turkey looks like!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess you're in the Air Force?

How does your vehicle get shipped anyways?

Last edited by T-1000; 09-05-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 PM

When I was stationed in Germany that gas was expensive off base. Yes you are right about AAFES having cheaper gas on base, but it is also rationed. So if for some crazy reason you use your yearly amount you will be going off base to get your gas. But I really don't think that you will burn that much.

I was there (Incirlik) for deployment in 1999, in tent city and that was my best deployment. Free beer (Tuborg) at the carpet shops and suit shops out the gates. It was called the "Ally", but from what I have heard they have closed it down.

Enjoy your time there, you need to check these two places called Heaven and Hell and Castle by the sea. I hope this helps you.

Laterz
Jeremy

Active AF guy also.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:42 AM

gas isnt rationed by aafes anymore....
Old 09-06-2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by terrybo3
That's awesome! Be sure to take alot of pictures so we can see what Turkey looks like!!!

Got you covered on the pictures part!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:09 PM

BUMP!! Any recommendations???
Old 09-07-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take two headgasket kits, never know when something stupid will happen. PCV valve, extra intake manifold gasket. Check the status of your belts, maybe some extras as well as coolant lines and possily brakes as well.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by T-1000
I guess you're in the Air Force?

How does your vehicle get shipped anyways?

Yes i am in the Air Force. Not too sure on how my vehicle gets shipped, i imagine in a container tho. At least thats what i have been told so far. Luckily i only have a 2" rear lift on my truck, if it was over 3", i wouldnt be able to bring it with me....
Old 09-08-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
Take two headgasket kits, never know when something stupid will happen. PCV valve, extra intake manifold gasket. Check the status of your belts, maybe some extras as well as coolant lines and possily brakes as well.

Just the advice i was looking for thanks, i will definitely be sure to take those parts. i can ship all the extra parts i need with my household goods shipment. No charge to me at all, so i am going to try and ship as many extra parts as possible to make sure i am good....thanks again Mic09dcsm!!
Brian
Old 09-09-2008, 02:57 PM

Do alternators go bad alot on the 3.0's?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Bring:

All tune up parts x2
Fuel filter
air filters
starter contacts
alt brushes
Full engine gasket kit (if you're going headgaskets.....)

I bet toyota parts are pretty cheap around your parts hahaha
Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM

I installed 2 (two) aux lights on my front bumper (they cost $10), and one on my rear bumper, and my alternator went out. You got one you could ship me cheap before you leave? :o)
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Unless you are running a lot of extrainious stuff, your alt should be fine. Worry more about normal wear items. How much wheeling will you do? Do you already have a spare CV? Might want to have that anyways!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u joints? brake pads/shoes? oil filters? air filters? spark plugs, cap rotor, wires? I dunno...

depends on how good condition the rig is in currently. I know for a fact that i wouldnt know what the hell to bring with my rig the way it is standing today. I'd just say its screwed, lol
Old 09-11-2008, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Unless you are running a lot of extrainious stuff, your alt should be fine. Worry more about normal wear items. How much wheeling will you do? Do you already have a spare CV? Might want to have that anyways!
I dont do too much wheeling...but i plan on traveling all across turkey and up into romania, bulgaria and all of that part of europe. I dont have a spare CV, guess i need to get one. i do have quite a bit of extra lights on my truck, but besides my Fog Lights, they are all L.E.D.s....
Old 09-11-2008, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Bring:

All tune up parts x2
Fuel filter
air filters
starter contacts
alt brushes
Full engine gasket kit (if you're going headgaskets.....)

I bet toyota parts are pretty cheap around your parts hahaha
yea parts are real cheap here in Japan....
Old 09-11-2008, 05:08 AM

...if you have parts shipped to an APO/FPO you shouldn't have an issue getting them. Most places will ship there and the USPS has fairly liberal standard when applied to parts - 108 inches in combined length and girth or 70 pounds in weight. If you order from military friendly companies on normal parts you should be fine. I know RockAuto.com if military friendly.

Quick Reply: Moving to Incirlik Turkey, Recommended Maintenance prior to bringing the Surf with me