86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A Mouse/Mice Decided to Sqat in my Intake Valley

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A Mouse/Mice Decided to Sqat in my Intake Valley

I just replaced my timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, water pump, t-stat, etc. But I smelt a strong fuel odour from the passenger's side engine bay beforehand. And when I replaced the the upper idler pulley I could see all the fibreglass stuffing they pulled from the hood liner. So, regardless, I replaced the timing belt (and everything else) and and the smell is still there (unrelated to the timing belt, I know, but one thing at a time) so now I pulled apart the upper intake to see if what damage (if any) the mouse/mice did.

Nothing obvious. Rats.

It hard to tell because the smell's there only when the engine's running, meaning the fuel system under pressure and the engine using fuel.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did they chew a small hole/weak spot into a fuel line? Leaky fuel filter? Rusted out hard fuel line? Just thinking out loud here.....
Old 09-18-2011, 07:32 PM

Nothing obvious yet. I have pics but they're too large to upload for now. I saw what looks like sweating on some of the banjo fittings but so far nothing jumps out. I thought it was the cold-start injector line but it looks okay. Tomorrow I'll crank it with the coil wire off to see if anything leaks. With the 3VZ-E, the upper plenum has to come off to check everything. Working on this engine is a right-of-passage, a character-builder. You fix it for honour, not glory.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jump the fuel pump to get it pumping with the engine off. Let it run for 5-10 minutes. If you have a pinhole in your fuel line, that should be long enough for it to start to drip off the truck/on the ground where you can see it.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics please
Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 PM

I've already spent $700+ in timing belt/front engine parts so I'm determined to find where this raw fuel smell is coming from.
Attached Thumbnails A Mouse/Mice Decided to Sqat in my Intake Valley-img_0056.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM

Here's where the mouse/mice were living. I've already removed most the fibreglass insulation. Small attatched pics but it's the best I can do for this moment (better than nothing).
Attached Thumbnails A Mouse/Mice Decided to Sqat in my Intake Valley-img_0057-copy.jpg  

Last edited by truckmike26; 09-19-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truckmike26: TNRabbit wrote in another thread: The MOST common fuel leak on the 3vze is at the fuel pressure damper. It's located under the plenum near the firewall on the passenger side. If you pull the hood, you can just see it. (pulling the hood is GREAT for working on this engine as it gives more light & access & is 4 bolts--quick! I can do it by myself in 5 mins).

May be another place to look...
Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Yeah! There IS what looks like some sweating on the damper. Yesterday rained, so I couldn't check it and today I'm busy. It was the first thing I suspected because everything else is bone-dry/doesn't smell at all like fuel.

Last edited by truckmike26; 09-20-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM

turn key on open hood with engine off. remove air cleaner. stick finger in vafm and open door=fuel pump runs with motor off. check for leaks
Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
A Fuel leak is very bad, so check carefully (I'd concentrate on the return lines; much easier for a mouse to chew through.)

But a more common cause of a fuel smell on the passenger side is the Vapor canister. More commonly when the engine is first shut off, so it doesn't quite match your case. The line that pumps out the vapor goes through a Thermal Vacuum Valve at the aft end of the lower intake manifold; it is common that one of the plastic hose bibbs gets broken off (the plastic doesn't like the heat). If that happened, the canister is just overwhelmed with the vapor from the tank and leaks it into the air giving the fuel smell.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blake.nemitz

awsome tip
Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
turn key on open hood with engine off. remove air cleaner. stick finger in vafm and open door=fuel pump runs with motor off. check for leaks
So opening the air flow meter wide open will command the pump into pumping? Despite the TPS and engine ground from the upper intake being disconnected? Interesting. I'll try that.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
A Fuel leak is very bad, so check carefully (I'd concentrate on the return lines; much easier for a mouse to chew through.)

But a more common cause of a fuel smell on the passenger side is the Vapor canister. More commonly when the engine is first shut off, so it doesn't quite match your case. The line that pumps out the vapor goes through a Thermal Vacuum Valve at the aft end of the lower intake manifold; it is common that one of the plastic hose bibbs gets broken off (the plastic doesn't like the heat). If that happened, the canister is just overwhelmed with the vapor from the tank and leaks it into the air giving the fuel smell.
My raw fuel smell is most prevalent when the engine's running from a cold start to operating temperature. And goes away after a hour or so the engine's been shut off.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 PM

you domt have to hold it wide open
just open enough to start pump. it only needs to open as far as it would idling. this way you can see and hear a leak with the motor off. just make sure the key is on the on position. and yet it works great. if your upper intake is disconnected i believe a high pressure line is attached to the cold start injector that if removed to remove the top half it will spray everywhere
Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 PM

just re read that. not sure but worth a shot. i thought you meant the top of the intake was disconnected. you might have to plug in tps and let it hang off to the side. i'm on't sure if this trick will work with it un plugged
Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 PM

look at the?cold start imjector the line can leak and usually does without replacing the washers if removed. since you said you noticed it the strongest from cold to operating temp. sorry for the poor grammar typing on phone that's too small with fingers too big
Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
Just jump +B and FP in the check connector (still need ignition on). Easier than messing with the air meter.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics of rats?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 AM

i would do sb5 walkers idea alls you need is a paper clip ha ha

Quick Reply: A Mouse/Mice Decided to Sqat in my Intake Valley