YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Mounting Shocks Outside of the Frame (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/mounting-shocks-outside-frame-303716/)

Jeremyks 03-11-2018 07:58 AM

Mounting Shocks Outside of the Frame

Has anybody mounted shocks outside of frame on a Toyota pickup? Was thinking this would allow me to mount longer shocks without moving the gas tank. Keep in mind Im running a flatbed on this pickup.

Any advice, will it work?

muddpigg 03-11-2018 08:12 AM

Would think it would interfere when axle flexs. I put spacers on the rear wheels to prevent tires from rubbing frame rails on IFS backspacing and 12.5 width tires. If your a flat bed your options are much more than us 4rnr guys. I repositioned my shocks /\ and didn't need to move tank.

Jeremyks 03-11-2018 08:49 AM

I should probably give a little more background on this pickup. I'm running a JD Fab LT front end with King Coil Overs. In the rear it currently stock besides +3 spacers to match the front width. Plans are to put Chevy 63 Leafs in the back and I'm hoping I will have enough to run a fox or king smooth body shock in the rear.

muddpigg 03-11-2018 09:16 AM

My experience with leaf springs is it is hard to get full range of flex on a mock up as compared to a link set up. It may clear or maybe not as axle travels. Assuming your looking to go fast over rough terrain the best config for shocks is straight up and down vrs having them angled. With a flat bed you can make or use (trailgear) a frame to allow this style of mounting. Of course you'll want shocks not to limit axle travel. If losing surface area on flat bed is not an option I'd consider the /\ configuration. The stock shock config of one forward and one aft will limit travel of axle as the mount points will bind on full droop.

The rear axle will flex on an radius ( ) thats when my tires would rub frame. Wasn't an issue when on road normal driving but became on when flexing at full stuff offroad.

Jeremyks 03-11-2018 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the flatbed. I know straight up would be best but I was thinking to angle forward towards the tool box on the bed to tie it in to make it look ok and utilize my bed space better.

dropzone 03-11-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremyks (Post 52393136)
I should probably give a little more background on this pickup. I'm running a JD Fab LT front end with King Coil Overs. In the rear it currently stock besides +3 spacers to match the front width. Plans are to put Chevy 63 Leafs in the back and I'm hoping I will have enough to run a fox or king smooth body shock in the rear.

have you considered a T100 axle?
3" spaces put a lot of strain on components and it looks like you have already added a heavy ass bed to the truck...
Eliminating the spacers would help eliminate a point of fail