86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mistreated 94 pickup 3.0 4x4 manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mistreated 94 pickup 3.0 4x4 manual

So I recently bought the truck in the title, it barley got me home when I purchased it. I've sunken decent amount of money and time in it so far, but it still has problems, lots of problems. Hear me out and tell me whats your opinion I've been looking alot so I have a good idea as to what I still need to do but if you have advice or helpful links post them up.

When I bought the truck it had: a miss fire, high idle, body damage, and leaks. The only new parts on it that I noticed were the master and slave cylinder for the clutch, and brake master cylinder. I noticed alot of black dust floating in them so it didn't take long until brakes gave out, and it was hard to shift. No more than 150 miles since purchase. I replaced both masters form Autozone, Now the problem I'm having is with the clutch master, they keep leaking at the push rod, and shifting is hard even after trying to adjusting it ( I'm on my second master for clutch). I vacuum bled it, and it worked good for a little bit than it started to grind gears again, and I found myself in a hard shifting problem again. TO better describe the problem it feels like the clutch is not entirely stopping the spinning motion, and I have to snug the gear into place, by slowly feeling it out. Any ideas with that?

The miss fire was easy due to the fact that a spark plug wasn't even plugged in, and another one was cross threaded. I also tightened the intake hose/duct clamps and that seemed to lower the idle. ( I did this when i first brought it home). However after I changed the timing belt, and replaced the radiator with one from a same year 4runner, it seemed to run ok for a bit, but my drive shaft rubbed through the O2 sensor, and than the high idle came back on and im still throwing DTCs. I don't know what they are yet I have to get the Snap-on scanner again. but i spliced the wires on the 02 sensor, and im not sure if it worked.

I know I'm all over the place its just alot to tell.

So I replaced everything that comes in the timing kit, radiator from 4runner, serp. belts, upper rad. hose, some vacuum lines, rear main, pilot bearing, cam shaft seals, shocks, front wheel bearings, and bunch of stuff on body. I'm still having problems with:
High Idle
Hard Shifting
Pressure in Gas Tank
Camshaft Cups Leaking Oil
No Reverse Lights

If you've ever experienced any or some of these problems, any advice is good ill try to post some pics.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohh and I have also replaced the EGR modulator, when I bought it the EGR valve wasn't even connected it the modulator.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Hard Shifting - There is an adjustment on the clutch linkage right near the firewall on the inside of the cab. Worth a shot to see if you can adjust that to take any extra slack out of the clutch throw. If you bled the clutch and have new cylinders that's the next best thing to check I would think.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your post is all over the place. Is the trouble pressing the clutch pedal in? Or actually moving the shifter for the transmission?
Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you've just been unlucky with the clutch master cyls. I would still try another one before going deeper. That part *new* should never leak. I have read about people having difficulty with non-OEM master cylinders.

Maybe using a vacuum bleeder might somehow mess with the seals in the clutch master? I just bleed the system with a friend at the pedal, telling them "up" or "down". Also attaching a clear plastic 1/4 tube to the bleed bolt helps to be sure you have all the air out.

"down"
loosen bleed bolt 1/4 turn
tighten
"up"
"down"
loosen
tighten

.. until all air pockets gone

You prolly already knew that. Apologies if so. That must be frustrating