Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

MD's 1990 4Runner Headgasket/TC rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD's 1990 4Runner Headgasket/TC rebuild

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I have a 1990 4runner SR5, 22re/auto with 275k on the clicker. Bought it with 270k and needing some work. Now I guess its time for the work.

When I bought it, driver's side window, front and rear didn't work. Still don't as I haven't worried about it. Will address.
Sunroof motor works, roof doesn't open. Guessing the tracks are off.
Power mirrors don't work very well.
Broken drivers side TC guide broken.
Needs new windshield.

Jumping to the top of the list, Friday the 4runner developed a surging idle and the brake/batt/trans temp lights came on. Quick search, lights most likely alternator. Surging idle, assuming chain jumped a tooth, but did a quick search, saw a lot of people suggesting a air bubble in the radiator. Topped it off, let it run a bit, no go. Still assuming it jumped a tooth, but I have no heat, so I'm scratching my head a little on that one.

Anyhow, pulled the runner into the garage tonight. Going to check the chain tonight or Wend. and go from there. Checking is just confirmation, tear down in inevitable.

I'll be ordering my stuff from engnbldr. I've ordered from him in the past on a previously owned vehicle and I enjoyed their service.

Headgasket from him or Toyota (suggestions?)
Timing chain with steel guides
Water pump
Oil Pump

I'll either buy a new alternator or get the current one rebuilt
New plugs, cap and rotor and wires
I'll be sending the fuel injectors off to get redone. I'll do a search on who to send them to before asking.
Debating on purchasing a new radiator or not. Not sure if its needed or not.

I'm sure I'm missing some things here or there. One question. Should I flush the system before tearing it down or not?

Pics will be included at some point. Need to replace the wire for my camera.

Long post, looking forward to getting into this and learning about this vehicle. Our family quickly out grew it, I'm thinking about fixing the issues, selling it and pursuing my dream of owning a FZJ80

David aka MechanicallyDeclined
Old 02-03-2014, 06:51 PM

Quick question, is the front differential a sealed unit from the cv's? Just wondering if I'll need to drain the front diff before dropping it or if that's not needed.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:14 PM

Remember to prime oil pump

And I always do a flush After the build. Oil and Coolant, But Im Shade tree and get contaminants in all my stuff no matter what.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
No need to drain front diff to change CV's, but you may want to do it anyway if you don't know when the fluid was last changed.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Timing chain is likely to blame for the surging idle, as the chain stretches on top of the fact that your guide broke and is changing your physical timing all the time. Constantly advancing and retarding your timing will give a wonky idle.