Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

manual vent door to power no vent door? ahhhhhhh! questions!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manual vent door to power no vent door? ahhhhhhh! questions!!!

hey guys...

i dont know if you saw my ad in the misc vehicle related section, but i ended up buying those doors...

1990 manual glass with ventilator window....

all i need is the door shell, and i having doubts about all my power stuff going in them...

any advice?

has anyone ever done this swap?

thanks!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM

helpp!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so are you swapping your doors with power windows and such to manual doors?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:50 AM

i have power everything no vent doors on my truck now and the bottoms of the doors are completely rusted out. i bought manual vent doors at a junk yard last weekend...

i would like to put all my power, no vent stuff in the new vent doors and was wondering if im actually going to be able and do it? o will i have to modify the new doors to make everything fit?

thanks for any help!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:57 AM

Hey, not that this helps you any, but does your location "NSB" stand for New Smyrna Beach. I love that whole area, my dad lives in Orlando and his parents have had a place there for about 40 years now on Peninsula. Fishing in the Lagoon rocks. Good luck with the doors though, I don't know anything about that.

Chris
Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 AM

yep! lol... small world....

my best friend lives near the end of peninsula right next the minorica condos. we just solid axle'd his zr2 s10...

im in the country part of new smyrna, samsula... not sure if you have heard of that?

ttyl
Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM

Yeah, its a sweet place down there, I love it. Between surfing at the inlet and fishing in the intercoastal and lagoon, I don't know if I'd get much else done if I lived there. I don't like those towers, I liked the beach better when it was all dunes up there.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Should'nt be a problem I took all the guts out of power no vent door and put them in my no power no vent door and had to wire everything up myself...
you will have to cut a hole in the flat spot at the front of the door for the harness boot. About all you might have to buy would be the window lift arm but that you should be able to use as well as I'm pretty sure the parts are all the same.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The doors frames are different along the window sill between the vent and non-vent doors. The vent doors have a metal brace across the top of the window sill where the aft edge of the vent window mounts. This makes installing the full size glass impossible without modifying the door.

As far as I know, all you need to do is to cut out the offending piece of metal. The rest of the door is the same.

I have a set of both types of doors. I can look at them tomorrow to see what's different besides the extra brace. It's too dark and raining right now to pull them out to look right now.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:32 PM

I tried to put a non vent window regulater in my vent style door and it wouldnt work. I fought and cused and tried to modify. still couldnt get it to work. Your motor will go in but you are gonna need the right regulater. Then you,l have power vent style doors.
Jim
Old 12-12-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
The doors frames are different along the window sill between the vent and non-vent doors. The vent doors have a metal brace across the top of the window sill where the aft edge of the vent window mounts. This makes installing the full size glass impossible without modifying the door.

As far as I know, all you need to do is to cut out the offending piece of metal. The rest of the door is the same.

I have a set of both types of doors. I can look at them tomorrow to see what's different besides the extra brace. It's too dark and raining right now to pull them out to look right now.
this was my main concern... so if i saws all that brace off and drill a hole for the wireing harness everything else should bolt right up?

thanks for checking this out for me... i have the vent doors stripped buyt the no vent doors are on my truce and i cant see the innards of the doorshell...

thanks!

Originally Posted by foot0069
I tried to put a non vent window regulater in my vent style door and it wouldnt work. I fought and cused and tried to modify. still couldnt get it to work. Your motor will go in but you are gonna need the right regulater. Then you will have power vent style doors.
Jim
the thing is that im not fond of the ventilator windows but i havent been able to find any other doors around my area so i had to get these.. im wanting to put my all power no vent windows in the no power vent doors...

thanks for the replys everyone!!!!!!!

your help is really appreciated!

Last edited by MIKEMOKAS; 12-12-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by liferunner2
Yeah, its a sweet place down there, I love it. Between surfing at the inlet and fishing in the intercoastal and lagoon, I don't know if I'd get much else done if I lived there. I don't like those towers, I liked the beach better when it was all dunes up there.
we dont care for minorica much either... butch of stuck up old people in there... maby pm me next time you come down and we could go wheeling!?

Originally Posted by aviator
Should'nt be a problem I took all the guts out of power no vent door and put them in my no power no vent door and had to wire everything up myself...
you will have to cut a hole in the flat spot at the front of the door for the harness boot. About all you might have to buy would be the window lift arm but that you should be able to use as well as I'm pretty sure the parts are all the same.
vent doorshells are a little different than no vent doorshells, this was my concern..

thanks!

Last edited by MIKEMOKAS; 12-12-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by MIKEMOKAS
this was my main concern... so if i saws all that brace off and drill a hole for the wireing harness everything else should bolt right up?

thanks for checking this out for me... i have the vent doors stripped buyt the no vent doors are on my truce and i cant see the innards of the doorshell...

thanks!
I don't know for sure if just cutting the brace is all you need. The sill may be a slightly different shape which may cause problems remounting the door panel. I believe all the other mounting holes for the regulator and such are the same.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

I get it now you want to ditch the ventilator window and go to an all glass set up right? I f that is the case there would be some moding to be done as others have noted...
Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 AM

I went and looked at both types of doors that I have here which are from 88 models. It does look like the window sills are different, so you're going to have trouble mounting the door panels and the outside weather stripping. Modding the doors doesn't look practical.

I do have a pair of non-vent doors available which had electric windows. Shipping would be a bit pricey.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
I went and looked at both types of doors that I have here which are from 88 models. It does look like the window sills are different, so you're going to have trouble mounting the door panels and the outside weather stripping. Modding the doors doesn't look practical.

I do have a pair of non-vent doors available which had electric windows. Shipping would be a bit pricey.
any chances the 88 doors (that you looked at) are going to vary from the 89-91 doors?

i would like to try any make these ventilator doors work... but if its not worth it...

thanks for any help!

Last edited by MIKEMOKAS; 12-14-2007 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:17 AM

I have no idea. I suspect that the 89 and later doors are different, but I don't have any around here to check and see.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 PM

sorry to bring up an old post, but.....

i ended up buying those '90 no power vent doors.

removed my door panels one day to find out that there exactly the same. well, besides the vent support, and that theirs no hole for the wire loom.

heres some pics..

just thought id post up the final awnser for anyone that has happened to search this.