Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Low idle on hot startup 92 22RE

Old 11-17-2018, 10:13 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Paul22RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NNJ
Posts: 185
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Low idle on hot startup 92 22RE

After truck is hot and I restart it, RPMs stay right at 500 and will not move until I feather the gas and idle will go to 1000, then drop perfectly to 750 and stay there. I cleaned the IAC valve from what I could get to from removing the gray access cover, which was not really that dirty, and that didn't fix the problem. Coolant temp sensor (ECT) is within specs. Should I throw a new IAC valve on or is there anything else I should check first?

Thanks.

Last edited by Paul22RE; 11-17-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Paul22RE is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 10:24 AM
  #2  
Registered User
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,206
Likes: 0
Liked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Iacv shouldn't have any effect, it's fully closed when warm. You can verify its sealing if you really want to by trying to pass air thru the front air hose.

You touch the throttle and the idle changes. Inspect the throttle body, throttle plate, and dash pot
Co_94_PU is offline  
The following users liked this post: Co_94_PU
Paul22RE (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 AM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Paul22RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NNJ
Posts: 185
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU View Post
Iacv shouldn't have any effect, it's fully closed when warm. You can verify its sealing if you really want to by trying to pass air thru the front air hose.

You touch the throttle and the idle changes. Inspect the throttle body, throttle plate, and dash pot
TB & plate are perfectly clean, along with plenum & intake. Dash pot is brand new.

So I shouldn't be able to blow through that larger air hose that comes from valve cover to IACV after engine is hot?

Last edited by Paul22RE; 11-17-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Paul22RE is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 10:52 AM
  #4  
Registered User
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,206
Likes: 0
Liked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul22RE View Post
TB & plate are perfectly clean, along with plenum & intake. Dash pot is brand new.
clean and new are in no way indicators of adjusted properly and working as intended.

The throttle plate is closing too far, binding, or the shaft is wobbling.

I did leave out a tps check, could be binding there also and not sending the idle closed signal.
Co_94_PU is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 10:54 AM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Paul22RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NNJ
Posts: 185
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU View Post
clean and new are in no way indicators of adjusted properly and working as intended.

The throttle plate is closing too far, binding, or the shaft is wobbling.

I did leave out a tps check, could be binding there also and not sending the idle closed signal.
TPS was just adjusted to within specs while I had TB off and fully open/closed readings were all ok. I will see if I can blow through air hose leading to IACV after warmup.

Last edited by Paul22RE; 11-17-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Paul22RE is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 10:56 AM
  #6  
Registered User
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,206
Likes: 0
Liked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul22RE View Post
TB & plate are perfectly clean, along with plenum & intake. Dash pot is brand new.

So I shouldn't be able to blow through that larger air hose that comes from valve cover to IACV after engine is hot?
wait what??

I dunno how you plumbed this but my idle valve lines do not go to the valve cover. It should run from one side of the throttle plate to essentially the other.
I'm gonna go try and dig up photos, cause I'm not going out in the snow unless the house is on fire.
Co_94_PU is offline  
The following users liked this post: Co_94_PU
Paul22RE (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:03 AM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Paul22RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NNJ
Posts: 185
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Paul22RE is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 11:08 AM
  #8  
Registered User
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,206
Likes: 0
Liked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by thook View Post
I'm thinking of the above.
What you have is below.
Originally Posted by 91Toyota View Post
The integrated valve doesn't have the air lines, just coolant lines. Sorry
Co_94_PU is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 11:11 AM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Paul22RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NNJ
Posts: 185
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
which hose shouldn't I be able to blow through after warmup?
Paul22RE is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 11:14 AM
  #10  
Registered User
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,206
Likes: 0
Liked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul22RE View Post
pcv vent hose. Not part of the idle control.

On the older model... The air passage is accessible from a large hose on the front.

Co_94_PU is offline  
The following users liked this post: Co_94_PU
Paul22RE (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:16 AM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Paul22RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NNJ
Posts: 185
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU View Post
pcv vent hose. Not part of the idle control.

On the older model... The air passage is accessible from a large hose on the front.
Any way to test my style IACV is fully closing after warmup?

Last edited by Paul22RE; 11-17-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Paul22RE is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 04:35 AM
  #12  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Paul22RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NNJ
Posts: 185
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I replaced the IACV and the problem persists. Any ideas what to try next?
Paul22RE is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 05:34 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 394
Liked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Sure the vaccum lines under the pot and egr system are attached, attached correctly? Get some OEM vac lines and replace everything.
Recheck TPS. If not tightened down TPS screws before
Measure the 500rpm, make sure it's not just the gauge. (amazon laser rpm meter thingy is a couple of bucks)
Keep blipping the throttle
ev13wt is offline  
The following users liked this post: ev13wt
Paul22RE (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:54 AM
  #14  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 198
Liked 24 Times in 24 Posts
I had a random high idle, and a new IACV fixed that.

My 92 does the same thing randomly on hot start. My throttle body is clean as it gets. I have come to the conclusion that it's probably wobble in the throttle plate. LCE sells a throttle body rebuild kit, but I don't need the gasket and the fancy idle screw. Just need the bushings. Have not pursued just buying the bushings, so not sure where to get them.

https://www.lceperformance.com/22RE-...-p/1061048.htm

Last edited by snippits; 01-07-2019 at 05:56 AM.
snippits is offline  
The following users liked this post: snippits
Paul22RE (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:25 AM
  #15  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Paul22RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NNJ
Posts: 185
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
Sure the vaccum lines under the pot and egr system are attached, attached correctly? Get some OEM vac lines and replace everything.
Recheck TPS. If not tightened down TPS screws before
Measure the 500rpm, make sure it's not just the gauge. (amazon laser rpm meter thingy is a couple of bucks)
Keep blipping the throttle
Every vacuum hose has been replaced & TPS is adjusted properly and tight. It is not just the gauge, I can feel it idling lower, exactly like when a jumper is used in the diagnostic port to adjust timing. EGR is also new, injectors all rebuilt, TB is as clean as a whistle.

Last edited by Paul22RE; 01-07-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Paul22RE is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 AM
  #16  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Paul22RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NNJ
Posts: 185
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by snippits View Post
I had a random high idle, and a new IACV fixed that.

My 92 does the same thing randomly on hot start. My throttle body is clean as it gets. I have come to the conclusion that it's probably wobble in the throttle plate. LCE sells a throttle body rebuild kit, but I don't need the gasket and the fancy idle screw. Just need the bushings. Have not pursued just buying the bushings, so not sure where to get them.

https://www.lceperformance.com/22RE-...-p/1061048.htm
Yeah, my TB is also clean as a whistle. Maybe it is the plate, not sure what else to check? Does the BVSV have anything to do with idle speed? (I am trying to think of anything else that is affected by engine temp). EGR is new but I never tested the BVSV.
Paul22RE is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
  #17  
Registered User
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,206
Likes: 0
Liked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul22RE View Post
Yeah, my TB is also clean as a whistle. Maybe it is the plate, not sure what else to check? Does the BVSV have anything to do with idle speed? (I am trying to think of anything else that is affected by engine temp). EGR is new but I never tested the BVSV.
EGR system shouldn't be functional at idle, or while cold.

Pull the air hose off the front of the throttle body and try wiggling the throttle plate, try pushing it up down left right and in and out, it should be very rigid if you notice any change in the gap between throttle body housing and plate it indicates it has worn out. No one makes a service kit for this failure mode. The LCE seals might help some but the root issue is the plate not returning to a consistent position.
Co_94_PU is offline  
The following users liked this post: Co_94_PU
Paul22RE (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 PM
  #18  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 394
Liked 38 Times in 34 Posts
I''ve just put some very light oil on a paper towl and "cleaned" the tb plate and housing where it sits at idle, leaving a thin film of oil. Also put some on the return spring, hoping it will flow into the shaft. I was chasing a surging issue, which turned out to be a vacuum line that was unhooked. But the TPS shaft is now buttery smooth, where it was a bit dry and would lightly catch on itself at times.

With engine off, check the condition of the throttle cable by having someone press the gas in the cab. No binding or sticking? No loose strands of wire?
ev13wt is offline  
The following users liked this post: ev13wt
Paul22RE (01-08-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 AM
  #19  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you checked for a clog in the little coolant line on the T-stat housing or the little o-ring on the idle screw bad.
Slayer99 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 AM
  #20  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Paul22RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NNJ
Posts: 185
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Slayer99 View Post
Have you checked for a clog in the little coolant line on the T-stat housing or the little o-ring on the idle screw bad.
Yeah, I replaced that o-ring and blew air in all coolant passages and all new coolant hoses. I think I will try that LCE TB rebuild kit, wonder why they include a fancy idle screw instead of a new shaft?

Last edited by Paul22RE; 01-09-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Paul22RE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low idle on hot startup 92 22RE


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: