86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Loud ticking and bogging after tune up

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud ticking and bogging after tune up

I have a 89 22re 4 cyl, i just changed out my plugs , wires, distributor cap, and rotor and now its making a loud ticking when i accelerate and then it starts to bog out when i hit like 25 rpms . it almost sounds like a terrible exhaust leak. Need resolution asap still gotta get to work!!!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
25rpms or mph?

Well, any time something weird happens AFTER you've touched components, start looking closer at everything you touched. Are all the plugs tightened down, are all the wires in the proper order and forming a good solid connection, pop the distr cap and take a look at the rotor.

If everything looks good, then check again.

After all that, if the problem is still there, maybe record a video of the noise.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
To check for exhaust leaks, I put a table spoon or so of ATF transmission fluid in the Plenum. It will smoke bad when running. Have some one to block the tail pipe and look for leaks that way.

What brand of tune up parts you use? I have seen part store brands of plug wires work their way from the cap and cause issues. You can get Denso plug wires off of Ebay for about the same cost of top brands that the part stores sell them for. Ebay is around $28 and that is with shipping on my last plug wires. I get my plugs, cap, and rotor from the dealer. They are comparable to part stores in prices. I have gotten bad parts from the part stores out of the box. One of the toughest problems I dealt with was the coil wire had an open inside the wire. Take a multimeter and Ohm out your plug wires and make sure you have continuity on each one. I figured it was new wires and that they were good and just had to be something else.

Since it was running correctly before you started, I would go back over everything that you worked on and make sure you did not bump anything and knock a hose or wire loose or got one of them installed incorrectly.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions. After goin through everything it ended up bein the 4th spark plug was cross threaded and wasnt backed in completly and was blowin out the plug.so had it rethreaded and its not ticking any more. But it dose still continue to bog out a bit after shifting gears and accelerating.cleaned the carbon from the throttle body best i could but it still dose it.