Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Losing oil on 86 Toyo 4x4

Old 12-22-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Losing oil on 86 Toyo 4x4

Okay guys, this sound stupid but I recently purchase this truck. I did the first oil change and now every two weeks when I check my dipstick, I get a low oil indication. About 1/4 full showing on dipstick.....it would take at least 1qt of oil to bring this sucker back up to full. There is no oil leak on the drive way or garage from this truck. No indication of blue smoke from tail pipe. Does anyone have a clue where the oil is going or is this normal for 4 cylinder....I ask my cousin with the same question is your truck burning/losing oil and he told me know....strange, it seems like this motor is oil hungry. I have about 246, xxx miles on the original motor. before you guys ask, no I did not do a leak down test or compression test yet....wait for to see if this is a common problem or not..... Please advise...
Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what weight oil? how's your pcv valve? how far do you drive during those two weeks?
yes, it's possible to burn that much oil and not have smoke.
is it common? well, it's more likely to happen on higher-mileage engines.
since that's out of the way... at least a compression test would be a good thing to do
Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 AM

I used valvoline 10w30 weight oil....from home to work I drive about 40miles both ways.....strange....could the rings be bad or valve stem seals.....also, should I rebuilt the motor and replace all rings and bearings??? This weekend I will go ahead and do a leak down test and compression check.....go from there....
Old 12-23-2008, 06:13 AM

I used 10w40 thats what the haynes book showed. I still loose oil out the tailpipe. I did have some in the intake hose when I had it off check in there to see if its has oil laying in it. I would mabey try some heavier oil to start. I figured its just going to be the nature of the beast. Ill keep adding until she blows. Good Luck.

Last edited by regularjoe; 12-23-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A quart or more in 400 miles is a lot to lose, but it is possible.
There's little harm in using a thicker oil, as long as it's rated for the ambient temps in your area. if it's rings or valve seals that could slow down the leaking. A compression test will narrow that down some.
The 22re's are known for sucking oil into the intake (well, at least mine are) through the PCV valve or breather tube (both connect to the valve cover and somewhere on the intake), particularly if there's an issue with the PCV valve. Also, there's a baffle inside the valve cover that is supposed to limit the amount of oil spray that can go up into the intake and sometimes the gasket on that baffle will fail allowing too much oil up.
Take the intake tube off the throttle body and look- if you see oil inside the throttle body, you know where it's coming from, but... worn rings can build up enough pressure in the crankcase to force oil up there too.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:05 AM

thanks for the info....I will check all that.....This is my first Toyo so I want to play it safe before blowing things up....I use to race honda's and fix honda's. SO now I'm in a different ball game. My next big thing is picking up bad or spung rob bearing long block 22r and rebuilt it from scratch for back up.
Originally Posted by abecedarian
A quart or more in 400 miles is a lot to lose, but it is possible.
There's little harm in using a thicker oil, as long as it's rated for the ambient temps in your area. if it's rings or valve seals that could slow down the leaking. A compression test will narrow that down some.
The 22re's are known for sucking oil into the intake (well, at least mine are) through the PCV valve or breather tube (both connect to the valve cover and somewhere on the intake), particularly if there's an issue with the PCV valve. Also, there's a baffle inside the valve cover that is supposed to limit the amount of oil spray that can go up into the intake and sometimes the gasket on that baffle will fail allowing too much oil up.
Take the intake tube off the throttle body and look- if you see oil inside the throttle body, you know where it's coming from, but... worn rings can build up enough pressure in the crankcase to force oil up there too.