Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Losing 3 quarts of water in 90' 3.0, where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Losing 3 quarts of water in 90' 3.0, where to begin?

Hey, so here is my issue. I started to lose lots of water, 3 quarts - 1 gallon per hour of drive time. When I top off coolant, water starts dripping form the front of the block pretty consistently(still trying to pinpoint location). Is there a drain plug in that area or a seal that can be replaced?

I replaced water pump 3-4 years ago. V6 has 310,000 miles on it. About 40,000 miles on water pump.

Idle gets weird in cold weather, goes up to 2000 then drops to 1000rpms in one second intervals. Based on other post it might be a water bubble.

Any suggestions on how to begin fixing this problem would be appreciated. Im going to be headed out to try and find spot were water is leaking. This isnt an issue I am familiar with trying to fix.

Thank you,
Bob
Old 09-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
check your oil. is it murky? if so its headgasket time
Old 09-29-2012, 10:41 AM

Thankfully the oil is clean and pretty
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM

auto or manual ? auto check tranny fluid too..... also heater hose is it dripping under the plenum then out to the front of the engine??? also when i pulled my radiator i sprayed water into my top hose and water came out of one of the ports in the front of the intake manifold
Old 09-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by SeeBeeAre
auto or manual ? auto check tranny fluid too..... also heater hose is it dripping under the plenum then out to the front of the engine??? also when i pulled my radiator i sprayed water into my top hose and water came out of one of the ports in the front of the intake manifold

5 speed. Dripping from the front of motor, just found my wifes make up mirror since I couldnt see around the stuff. Its sitting there dripping out pretty quick with the truck off and cool.

Not sure what this is "plenum."
Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 PM

From the best I can see its running down the front of the block behind the pulleys. With the mirror I follow it up behind them. looks like its coming from behind the plastic cover thats above the pulleys. Not sure whats behind that thing? But I guess Ill find out
Old 09-30-2012, 04:23 AM

Behind plastic cover is timing belt and water pump which is more than likely your problem, the water pump whilst still working fine will be leaking from either the pulley shaft seal or the gasket that seals it to the block, you say that it was replaced 40k ago but they don't really have a life span and could go anytime, if it is the gasket that is leaking I would still replace water pump whilst apart and you may as well do timing belt and cam/crank seals while your in there
Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Slowey23
Behind plastic cover is timing belt and water pump which is more than likely your problem, the water pump whilst still working fine will be leaking from either the pulley shaft seal or the gasket that seals it to the block, you say that it was replaced 40k ago but they don't really have a life span and could go anytime, if it is the gasket that is leaking I would still replace water pump whilst apart and you may as well do timing belt and cam/crank seals while your in there
I got that cover of and the leak was coming from behind the wheel thats, behind and right of the one connected to the fan. Which I think is the water pump. Still have to verify. Looks like it be the seal on the shaft.

Ill look at how to do the cam/crank seals so I can do it too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by 50r
Does your car overheat?
Only when I get low on coolant

Any suggestions for a quality manufacturer for water pumps. LCE?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 AM

pressure test is needed. anything else is gonna be a blind internet guess. harbor freight has fairly cheap cooling system pressure testers, $50ish. well worth the money if you plan on working on your own vehicles. without a pressure tester, you're guessing.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you end up needing a water pump, IMHO I would get an aisin. There's alot of them on e-bay good prices.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldblue
pressure test is needed. anything else is gonna be a blind internet guess. harbor freight has fairly cheap cooling system pressure testers, $50ish. well worth the money if you plan on working on your own vehicles. without a pressure tester, you're guessing.

The leak has been going on for some time, but just started getting bad so there is a big orange/rust streak coming from behind the pulley where it goes into the water pump.

Im going to search this site now for the walk-through on getting the pump out to see what I will need.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
If you end up needing a water pump, IMHO I would get an aisin. There's alot of them on e-bay good prices.

About $70, says it OEM. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:44 PM

Anyone know a good place to find how to change out water pump, I been looking on here for a bit but cant find it.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 PM

There plenty of threads here to do WP. You will be better off to search under timing belt replacement 3.0. Not knowing when your TB was done last, consider doing it while in there. Don't forget to do thermostat also (OEM). Inspect idler and tensioner bearings. I guess what I,m trying to say is your going to have to basically take apart the front of the motor to replace WP. You don't want to have to go in there again to replace something you missed or needed replacing.

Last edited by ksti; 09-30-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
There plenty of threads here to do WP. You will be better off to search under timing belt replacement 3.0. Not knowing when your TB was done last, consider doing it while in there. Don't forget to do thermostat also (OEM). Inspect idler and tensioner bearings. I guess what I,m trying to say is your going to have to basically take apart the front of the motor to replace WP. You don't want to have to go in there again to replace something you missed or needed replacing.

I was able to find a manual in the tech section which has lots of good info. Ill add a new thermostat to my shopping list. The time belt has 40-50k on it.

I was searching water pump and didnt find much, timing belt would have yielded better results I am sure.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 09-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by WartHoggRunner
I was able to find a manual in the tech section which has lots of good info. Ill add a new thermostat to my shopping list. The time belt has 40-50k on it.

I was searching water pump and didnt find much, timing belt would have yielded better results I am sure.

Thanks for the suggestions
IMHO with 40-50K on TB I'd replace it, hands down. When you do it just take your time. Take notes, take pictures and mark all your vacuum lines so you put them back properly.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM

That's a good call. I got a timing belt kit and water pump on eBay, didn't cost all that much, save headaches later. Replace the bypass and heater hoses behind the plenum while you have it apart.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 AM

On LCE the water pump for my rig, is this "Street Water Pump - 3VZ(89-92)(Manual Trans w/o Water Tube)." But everywhere I look for an Aisin pump has the water tube. So I am confused as to if I need the tube or not. Im going to get working on my runner tomorrow so Ill figure it out then but wanted to get a part ordered today.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LCE also shows: Street Water Pump - 3VZ(89-92)( w/Water Tube)
Is the LCE and Aisin WP?

Go look at your rig..... do you have a stock oil cooler that is attached to the tube? If yes, you need a WP with the tube. If no, you can still use the WP with a tube and cap off the tube.

Post 7 shows a diagram of the oil cooler:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...s-hose-262317/

Partsgeek has the Aisin w/ tube for about $50.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.