Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

looking to adjust idle only on 3.0 V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking to adjust idle only on 3.0 V6

okay so i have the 3-VZE and im idling around 600RPM. i know where the screw is under the hood to adjust it, but how do i turn it to adjust the idle. counter-clock wise to increase, clockwise to decrease? should it be running or turned off? do i need to do anything else to make it effect the idle?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a "needle" tipped screw so it needs to back out of the passage to allow air to bypass the throttle plate.
CCW increases the idle, CW decreases.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, counterclockwise to increase.

It's the screw in the throttle body that faces toward the front if the engine.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

so approx how many turns to increase the idle by 200rpm? i did try turning it, only half a turn and didn't notice any difference.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

would it be over a full turn? 2 full turns?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Your timing is set, right? If it is, with the engine running, just turn the screw semi-slowly til you start to get a difference. When you think you got it right, sorta blip the throttle up to 1500-2000 and let it return to see if it's still round about 800 rpm.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Yup timing is set. so while warm and running turn it CCW till i think there is a difference then rev it up and when i let go it should show the new idle?
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 PM

That's about the long and short of it. That's essentially out of the fsm, though I may have the rpm to blip the throttle to slightly wrong. The idea is just to make it settle like it normally will after you let off the throttle and put in the clutch.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Okay ill try that now and will let you know how it turns out. thanks everyone who responded.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Okay so after about 3 full rotations CCW it now idles at 800ish rpm so thank you all who helped. im not to happy that it took so many turns and is out as far as it is but it smoothed out my idle. the head of the screw as flush with the tb housing and now sticks out a little bit but im guessing every engine is different.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 PM

Idle speed and timing are set together. Changing idle speed will affect your timing, and changing your timing will affect your idle speed.

So if you adjusted your idle speed, you need to check and set your timing, and maybe go back and forth a bunch of times adjusting one then the other.

And make sure you have the jumper in the diagnostic check connector when doing this.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-10-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Technical inaccuracies exist in this thread. Please consult the FSM pages provided below.

For ignition timing inspection and adjustment see pages EG2-25 & EG2-26. For idle speed inspection and adjustment see page EG2-27.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...e/64tuneup.pdf

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-11-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 AM

I said "essentially" out of the fsm... I read it a few years ago and posted to the best of my memory, sorry it was wrong Belize.
Hey Hippy, when do you find threads without technical inaccuracies?
Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
Okay so after about 3 full rotations CCW it now idles at 800ish rpm so thank you all who helped. im not to happy that it took so many turns and is out as far as it is but it smoothed out my idle. the head of the screw as flush with the tb housing and now sticks out a little bit but im guessing every engine is different.
My idle adjustment was almost all the way in, so a wise man told to remove the idle screw and replace worn out o-ring and that solved my problem. Maybe this can help.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 AM

It must seem as though the majority of my posts are of an overtly, or perhaps overly, corrective nature. Kind of a technical nit-picker if you will. And I can certainly see how that would become annoying or frustrating to some(dare I say most). But, since it's a little easier for me, I've chosen this method of providing "help" whenever I can. This way I don't have to work(or rather type) as much. I could jump right in ahead of the pack and provide all the pertinent details. Or I can sit back and allow for the rest of the crew here to do their best to provide them first. Then act as a sort of one man clean up team, filling in the gaps and correcting whatever needs corrected as needed. However, it's not really my goal or intent to be obtrusive about it. Though I'm sure it often appears as if I have no other intentions than to be just that.

Be that as it may, I'm aware of the fact that I'm probably the most hated/disliked member of this site(that hasn't earned a permanently banned status anyway). Though I do understand why that would be the case. And I'm o.k. with that. As I've never shied away from playing the role of "devil's advocate" here, or anywhere in my life. So I'm quite used to it by now.

How does that story go again? I think it's derived from the lyrics of a Rush song IIRC. Something to the effect of the shorter trees in the forest complaining angrily to the taller oaks for casting their shadow on them. With the oak's response to their bickering being an explanation of how they can't be blamed for such a thing. For how can you blame anything for being how it naturally is? The oaks didn't choose to be oaks. And an oak, by its very nature, is a taller tree than most. That's just how they are. The moral being: taller, stronger, faster, smarter, more attractive, or generally perceived as better in any way, you shouldn't hate those that are for being so. They haven't necessarily chosen to be that way, any more than you've chosen to be the way you are. Acceptance.

Or, as my grandfather, who was an outright genius of the highest caliber, used to say when asked a question requiring a difficult to find answer, "I know nothing". You see, he'd grown tired of always having the right answer to nearly all questions asked. Because always being right, can be(and quite often is) a significant burden to the one whom is. After all, nobody likes a "know-it-all". Why be the voice of reason, or the wise one, when much of your reward for being so will be unearned and unjustified feelings of disgust for you from those who aren't? A bittersweet task it truly is this vast knowlegde I wield.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-11-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:25 PM

Please stay on topic.

If you have issues with members of these fora, please discuss those issues in private messages instead of airing them here.

Thank you.

Now, having said that, and considering you brought it up. You shouldn't get all butt-hurt like you did when someone disagrees with you, or otherwise contradicts what you post.

If you want to disagree with another poster, please do be so bold as to state why you disagree, post your opinions and support that with documentation substantiating your claim or state that such is your opinion.

Now, having said that, I'm not even sure what the cause for your tantrum here was.
As far as I know from having read my FSM, the FSM's dont tell you that setting the idle speed will affect timing, nor do they say setting timing will affect idle. It should be known, however, that anything that affects RPM will affect timing- such is the nature of an engine.

So, when you said "technical inaccuracies exist in this thread," what specifically were you referring to?

Originally Posted by MudHippy
It must seem as though the majority of my posts are of an overtly, or perhaps overly, corrective nature. Kind of a technical nit-picker if you will. And I can certainly see how that would become annoying or frustrating to some(dare I say most). But, since it's a little easier for me, I've chosen this method of providing "help" whenever I can. This way I don't have to work(or rather type) as much. I could jump right in ahead of the pack and provide all the pertinent details. Or I can sit back and allow for the rest of the crew here to do their best to provide them first. Then act as a sort of one man clean up team, filling in the gaps and correcting whatever needs corrected as needed. However, it's not really my goal or intent to be obtrusive about it. Though I'm sure it often appears as if I have no other intentions than to be just that.

Be that as it may, I'm aware of the fact that I'm probably the most hated/disliked member of this site(that hasn't earned a permanently banned status anyway). Though I do understand why that would be the case. And I'm o.k. with that. As I've never shied away from playing the role of "devil's advocate" here, or anywhere in my life. So I'm quite used to it by now.

How does that story go again? I think it's derived from the lyrics of a Rush song IIRC. Something to the effect of the shorter trees in the forest complaining angrily to the taller oaks for casting their shadow on them. With the oak's response to their bickering being an explanation of how they can't be blamed for such a thing. For how can you blame anything for being how it naturally is? The oaks didn't choose to be oaks. And an oak, by its very nature, is a taller tree than most. That's just how they are. The moral being: taller, stronger, faster, smarter, more attractive, or generally perceived as better in any way, you shouldn't hate those that are for being so. They haven't necessarily chosen to be that way, any more than you've chosen to be the way you are. Acceptance.

Or, as my grandfather, who was an outright genius of the highest caliber, used to say when asked a question requiring a difficult to find answer, "I know nothing". You see, he'd grown tired of always having the right answer to nearly all questions asked. Because always being right, can be(and quite often is) a significant burden to the one whom is. After all, nobody likes a "know-it-all". Why be the voice of reason, or the wise one, when much of your reward for being so will be unearned and unjustified feelings of disgust for you from those who aren't? A bittersweet task it truly is this vast knowlegde I wield.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-11-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Now, having said that, and considering you brought it up. You shouldn't get all butt-hurt like you did when someone disagrees with you, or otherwise contradicts what you post.

If you want to disagree with another poster, please do be so bold as to state why you disagree, post your opinions and support that with documentation substantiating your claim or state that such is your opinion.
Back at ya bub!

Can you say the pot calling the kettle black? Mr. fricken highly sensitive. And since when do you EVER provide proof/documentation of any type supporting what you state is true?

BTW, I've absorbed quite a few of your blatantly insulting comments/personal attacks recently without returning the favor. Gee wiz I tell ya...
Originally Posted by abecedarian
So, when you said "technical inaccuracies exist in this thread," what specifically were you referring to?
Oh...the blip the throttle and putting the clutch pedal in part. Not anything you said....necessarily.

I figured you already knew that shorting the check connectors isn't required when adjusting idle speed. Though your previous post might suggest otherwise. Could be a little confusing...but no biggie. And, truth be told, I don't really think it matters either way...so whatever. Was gonna let that one glide on by.

Sorry to have rambled on there for a minute. Though some people find my short stories entertaining, and oft times even a tad amusing. A lot of folks probably do find them sorta long-winded and a little out of place/off topic too. Meh...ya can't win 'em all.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-12-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Well i dont like to see members going like this, half the reason i stopped using this forum was because of arguments over one mans opinion vs anothers. Everyone will have different ideas about every topic and its the combination of all those different views that can help fix the problem at hand.
As for my original post, it kind of solved my problem, it idles alot better, there are times when it still idles at 600RPM but not very often but i will just adjust the screw again and then timing as needed.
But i would still like to thank all of you for your input to my problem, and it was a combination of everyone's opinion.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 AM

The more important question here (and I'm quite surprised no one else has asked it yet...) Why was your idle low in the 1st place? Adjusting the idle is fine, but that dosent necessarily fix the problem, usually it just masks it. The idle was set by toyota at 850 +/- rpm, so why was yours low? Id be more interested in figuring that out myself.... Vacuum leak perhaps? TPS out of spec? Any # of things it could be really...

Id start reading the fsm, and find the real problem....

But.... to answer your question... yes, just adjust the idle screw till it's in the 850 range, then set timing...

Last edited by Team420; 08-25-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Well that i couldnt tell you because i bought it that way and apart from the fact that he had not driven it for a few months kinda shows me he didnt really take care of it, threw on some HIDS and sold it. if it continues to go down i will have to find the problem. my guess is his dad did it on purpose, not sure why but it was turned all the way in.