YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Look at Crack Piston while Rebuilding my 3VZE (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/look-crack-piston-while-rebuilding-my-3vze-268244/)

cheappc 04-24-2013 01:06 PM

Look at Crack Piston while Rebuilding my 3VZE

When I went to the machine shop, the same shop that is doing a complete rebuilding of my motor, this is what they found

I didnt have time to take actual picture, plus it was too dark, but this pictures looks almost exactly the same, however mines is worse

http://www.cheappc.com/shared/crackedpiston.jpg

Co_94_PU 04-24-2013 01:18 PM

:drunk: Bet that was guzzling oil

vital22re 04-24-2013 01:26 PM

Time to bore out the block and run bigger pistons.

MudHippy 04-24-2013 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by cheappc (Post 52070117)
...but this pictures looks almost exactly the same, however mines is worse

http://www.cheappc.com/shared/crackedpiston.jpg

You're welcome...:cam:

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU (Post 52070128)
:drunk: Bet that was guzzling oil

No, it wasn't, actually. But it was losing ≥ 70 PSI of compression on that cylinder. There was a seperate(d) piece plugging that hole up, until I removed the piston from the engine.

Originally Posted by vital22re (Post 52070131)
Time to bore out the block and run bigger pistons.

Might not be necessary(I put in new STD size). Not a bad idea though. If feasible...

cheappc 04-24-2013 03:28 PM

Thanks Mudhippy, I was amazed at how my piston looked exactly as yours... thanks for the picture... but since I went to the machine shop for lunch, I didnt have a lot of time to take pictures of everything..

They took my motor completely apart, I saw the bottom end and top end... they also made me feel "the inside" of the sleeve, it was bad, I could feel a huge bump in it... so what do they do in this situation?

MudHippy 04-24-2013 03:56 PM

If it's as bad as it sounds...boring .040" over might not be enough. And the largest pistons for this engine that are readily available are only 1.0mm/.040" OS(AFAIK).

In that case the cylinders would need sleeved. Since there are no sleeves to be simply replaced(would be afterwards though). But that's a rather complicated/expensive/time-consuming process. Considering it's usually a whole lot easier/cheaper/quicker to find another rebuilt/rebuildable short/long block(or, if $ is limited, just a decent used, and/or rebuildable, cylinder block).

cheappc 04-24-2013 05:19 PM

What would cause something like this?

Toyota~Boy 04-24-2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by cheappc (Post 52070230)
What would cause something like this?

Several things.... Overheating, cylinder wear causing piston slap, wrist pin bearings, ext...

cheappc 05-23-2013 05:38 PM

Just wanted to update everyone, I got my engine completely rebuilt, and I have driven 500 miles and it has worked flawlessly! (knocking on wood)

However, 3 days when they originally gave it to me, it blew a rod (thats what they said), they completely rebuilt it again, and this time I believe gave me a new crankshaft, because the other one was way too machined (thats what I think they said)

dropzone 05-23-2013 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by cheappc (Post 52079949)
Jit blew a rod (thats what they said), they completely rebuilt it again, and this time I believe gave me a new crankshaft, because the other one was way too machined (thats what I think they said)

what does your paperwork say?

cheappc 05-24-2013 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone (Post 52079954)
what does your paperwork say?

New Rod, New Bearings, New Pistons, New Rings, New Crankshaft, Gaskets, Upper and Lower End complete overhaul.

12 months 12,000 mile warranty

cheappc 03-07-2014 01:54 PM

My head gasket went back out 3-4-2014...

Im giving up on this truck I totalled it yesterday in a car accident, after I tried to repair the head gasket going out just this monday, as a matter of fact, I was trying it out towing my boat yesterday just to see how it would do on the freeway, never made it, somebody caught in front of me and i couldnt stop and totalled the truck? not really totalled but I could hear the engine clack??

It was trouble free for exactly 10 months, I loved it, thankfully I towed my boat about 30 times during the last 10 months, I took it to Laughlin, Las Vegas, Piru, Elsinore, Castaic.

I went everywhere, so I got my use out of it, not much though, I put $3,400 into it ($1600 for the truck, $1800 for the rebuilt motor).

I didnt want to spend another $1,1000 (that would take me to $4500)... im giving up on it, loved it though, but the cost of the repair (just in body work) probably $2000, plus the head gasket problem... not sure if its cost effective...\

Gamefreakgc 03-07-2014 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by cheappc (Post 52174845)
My head gasket went back out 3-4-2014...

Im giving up on this truck I totalled it yesterday in a car accident, after I tried to repair the head gasket going out just this monday, as a matter of fact, I was trying it out towing my boat yesterday just to see how it would do on the freeway, never made it, somebody caught in front of me and i couldnt stop and totalled the truck? not really totalled but I could hear the engine clack??

It was trouble free for exactly 10 months, I loved it, thankfully I towed my boat about 30 times during the last 10 months, I took it to Laughlin, Las Vegas, Piru, Elsinore, Castaic.

I went everywhere, so I got my use out of it, not much though, I put $3,400 into it ($1600 for the truck, $1800 for the rebuilt motor).

I didnt want to spend another $1,1000 (that would take me to $4500)... im giving up on it, loved it though, but the cost of the repair (just in body work) probably $2000, plus the head gasket problem... not sure if its cost effective...\

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully you can get a new truck/SUV with a more reliable motor! I guess yours couldn't take the stress of constant towing.