Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Long travel rear setup with stock IFS up front?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Long travel rear setup with stock IFS up front?

I hesitate putting this thread out there because I am a firm believer that there are such things as stupid questions. But, I have been thinking about this a lot lately and can't find a thread on here that covers the topic. So here it goes.

I don't want to mess with my IFS setup. I have a 1.5 inch BJ spacer lift with new shocks to go with it. I want to add a coilover setup to soften the torsion bars and still maintain the ride height. However, this does not satisfy what I would like to be able to do safely offroad. With the current setup (new shocks in rear with 1.5-inch suspension lift via longer coils) the tires leave the ground to much and that provides a stability concern when you are making your way up an already steep and slanted hill. The question is, can I install a rear long travel set up with still just a 1.5 inch lift but keep the front end as it is now? I tried to think of reasons this wouldn't work, but seems like it would work.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Gevo
I hesitate putting this thread out there because I am a firm believer that there are such things as stupid questions. But, I have been thinking about this a lot lately and can't find a thread on here that covers the topic. So here it goes.

I don't want to mess with my IFS setup. I have a 1.5 inch BJ spacer lift with new shocks to go with it. I want to add a coilover setup to soften the torsion bars and still maintain the ride height. However, this does not satisfy what I would like to be able to do safely offroad. With the current setup (new shocks in rear with 1.5-inch suspension lift via longer coils) the tires leave the ground to much and that provides a stability concern when you are making your way up an already steep and slanted hill. The question is, can I install a rear long travel set up with still just a 1.5 inch lift but keep the front end as it is now? I tried to think of reasons this wouldn't work, but seems like it would work.

What do you think?

Thanks.
That shouldn't cause any issues. What setup are you thinking of using?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:42 AM

I have been looking and looking. I haven't come to a decision yet. I am looking to keep a coil spring setup and hopefully not cut into my floor. Any suggestions, please feel free to express it here

I'll find the couple links of the ones I'm looking.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Well this seems pretty nice, but it seems like a massive body lift would be required.
http://www.4wheelunderground.com/4-L...leSystems.html

In my mind something a little less than this is what I would like.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure you wouldn't want a chevy spring swap? They ride pretty good.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:37 PM

I haven't really considered it at this point. Let me do some research real quick and see what it is
Old 02-09-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by atlastrekker
Are you sure you wouldn't want a chevy spring swap? They ride pretty good.
I was thinking same thing. Haven't looked under a coil rear 4rnr rig to see it there is room for a long arm. Would have to research differences of links systems and compare to what you want to accomplish. With long leaf springs you'll want to change shock configuration as they will limit axle flex. Think gas tank will need to be relocated for a 4 link.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Didn't realize you had a 4runner. This will be hard to accomplish without cutting into the floor and trying to keep coil springs.
How much travel do you want to get?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 AM

to answer how much flex I want to add I can only say as much as possible without cutting into my floor (too much). I dont mind moving gas tank actually, plan is to install it where the stock spare tire is anyway. I am really hoping there is a kit out there ready to go, I don't really want to go through trial and error for a few months lol.

I saw some setups with 4 inks and coilovers. They were very custom jobs and the owners never posted follow ups for updates.

What are the problems adding the leaf springs on a 4Runner?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:56 PM

A setup like this for maximum shock length seems like it would be best for what I want. Also, what I've seen done is the top shock mounts to be brought closer to the center, adding that much more travel. All without cutting into the floor. Assuming I can set the shocks up like this, I need to figure out the linkage system. I don't see why I can use coilovers in this setup....??? Any ideas?

Old 02-10-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Gevo
A setup like this for maximum shock length seems like it would be best for what I want. Also, what I've seen done is the top shock mounts to be brought closer to the center, adding that much more travel. All without cutting into the floor. Assuming I can set the shocks up like this, I need to figure out the linkage system. I don't see why I can use coilovers in this setup....??? Any ideas?

that mount configuration will still limit axle flex. As the axle flexes the bottom mounts will bind. You want a /\ configuration and as high as possible to not act like an anchor on hang ups.