Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lock Rite Locker with stock geared 92 4x4 w/ 31x10.5's

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lock Rite Locker with stock geared 92 4x4 w/ 31x10.5's

I have a stock 92 ex cab 4x4, I picked up a lightly used Lock Rite locker for 90 bucks. I am running 31x10.5 and stock lift and gears, and I was just curious what to expect from this, as this is the first time going with a locker in the rear axle. Kind of a dumb, generic question as I know basically what they do. Any quick advise or tips would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
If you like wheelin, install it and dont look back!

90 bucks is a good deal.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Originally Posted by rattlewagon
If you like wheelin, install it and dont look back!

90 bucks is a good deal.
yeah, i do. Will it still help with traction just having one in the back as apposed to both front and back? I do mainly ridge running and woods with decent hills, no rock crawling or big time ˟˟˟˟˟. This is my daily driver so will that be a problem?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM

a full time locker on the road isnt as comfy as youd expect, just be careful going aaround corners at higher speeds, youll notice the locker when backing out of your driveway amd such, but other than that a locker in the rear is great, both front and rear would be nice but you have to start somewhere
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
a full time locker on the road isnt as comfy as youd expect, just be careful going aaround corners at higher speeds, youll notice the locker when backing out of your driveway amd such, but other than that a locker in the rear is great, both front and rear would be nice but you have to start somewhere
this will basically give me full time posi, correct?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Both rear axles will be locked except when you are turning on pavement. They will decouple then.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:58 AM

For the most part. It allows a little slippage and will "ratchet" around corners, but lock when torque is applied. Takes a little getting used to, especially in snowy situations. But it will make a world of difference off road.

And starting with one in the back is fine, probably even a good idea. Do you have manual hubs?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Been running lockrite in the rear for a couple years now. It definitely improves your climbing ability. I avoided a few trails specifically because I didn't have one. On the road is fine, as long as you remember that its in there. The only thing to be aware of besides slippery roads are slower speeds while turning. If done wrong, the truck will buck and jump, as you make the turn. But, you'll get used to it quick.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by angrybob
Both rear axles will be locked except when you are turning on pavement. They will decouple then.
heres a quick tip, when turning into , say, a parking lot, in a low gear, push in the clutch and coast, they ratchet like that other fella said, nothin like half the people in the parking lot staring at you like ur a moron cause its hitchin, lol. you love the locker, its perfect for what ur doin, p.s. get some 4.56,s, you'll be amazed how much more you love your truck, best thing i ever bought!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
For the most part. It allows a little slippage and will "ratchet" around corners, but lock when torque is applied. Takes a little getting used to, especially in snowy situations. But it will make a world of difference off road.

And starting with one in the back is fine, probably even a good idea. Do you have manual hubs?
Yes, manual hubs still in the front. This is OK, right?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberman
Been running lockrite in the rear for a couple years now. It definitely improves your climbing ability. I avoided a few trails specifically because I didn't have one. On the road is fine, as long as you remember that its in there. The only thing to be aware of besides slippery roads are slower speeds while turning. If done wrong, the truck will buck and jump, as you make the turn. But, you'll get used to it quick.
Awesome, thanks for this info. I know what to expect now. Appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by nightstalker
heres a quick tip, when turning into , say, a parking lot, in a low gear, push in the clutch and coast, they ratchet like that other fella said, nothin like half the people in the parking lot staring at you like ur a moron cause its hitchin, lol. you love the locker, its perfect for what ur doin, p.s. get some 4.56,s, you'll be amazed how much more you love your truck, best thing i ever bought!
Would do the 4.56 but I drive 25 miles on the highway to work, and i am afraid that would dent my mpg's LOL.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes the 456 would destroy ur highway mpg! and the locker u will learn to love it when u realize what u can do with it!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 AM

ive got the detroit ez locker, and honestly i hardly notice it during daily driving.

yea itll ratchet... but its just noise... no big deal.

every now and then the wrong combination of things and itll buck.. no big deal.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by blakefogt
ive got the detroit ez locker, and honestly i hardly notice it during daily driving.

yea itll ratchet... but its just noise... no big deal.

every now and then the wrong combination of things and itll buck.. no big deal.
cool. thanks guys for all the input, I have been on this forum for 5 years but started building a 66 mustang road race car, so the truck hasn't been getting as much attention until lately.

I can deal with the noises, no biggie. I appreciate all of the extremely helpful responses!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 89whitetoyota
Would do the 4.56 but I drive 25 miles on the highway to work, and i am afraid that would dent my mpg's LOL.
my mpg,s actually improved a little, with 31,s and 4.56 its same as stock
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by nightstalker
my mpg,s actually improved a little, with 31,s and 4.56 its same as stock
Ditto.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 PM

I too have a lock rite and what cyberman says is absolutely true! you will learn to babying the trothle and adjusting the clucht without fully disengaging it in thight turns and you will be just fine. but talking about improves in offroad you will be amazed of how much your truck will be able to do for just 90 bucks! (great deal! mine was new and cost 250 dollars give or take a few dolars)

(excuse me for any spelling mistakes, english is my second language)