Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lifting My truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifting My truck

Well I might catch some crap but here we go. I'm farely new to the site and have been doing my homework a little. I have a 1992 toyota 2wd, ya I know 2wd. Anyways I really want to lift it to clear some 33's. I was thinking to go with a 3" body lift, 4" fabtech spindle lift, 2" rear add a leaf in the rear and also a 2" block. Will this set up work for me and let me know if I am missing anything that I would need besides wheels and tires. thanks
Old 02-17-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might wanna check out Downey offroad. They have a front subframe assembly built for jumping.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so you were going with 11in of lift on IFS to fit 33's...LMAO

there is absolutely no need for that..and body lifts will not hold up well if you plan on jumping. you could probably fit 35's with the fabtech lift.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
so you were going with 11in of lift on IFS to fit 33's...LMAO

there is absolutely no need for that..and body lifts will not hold up well if you plan on jumping. you could probably fit 35's with the fabtech lift.

Uh... 11" of lift? A 4" spindle and 3" BL in the front adds up to 7".... then you've got 2" AAL and 2" blocks in the rear, that adds up to 4". I do agree with avoiding blocks, unless you're going for the street queen thing. Blocks are NO BUENO for off road use...I recommend longer shackles, or a new leaf pack. I'm pretty sure you can fit 33's with the lift you have planned....you might need to swap fenders with a 4wd, though. It'll kinda look lame if you don't, IMHO.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:01 AM

Ya eventually I should like to convert it to 4wd so for now I just want to make it a "street queen". Ya it would probably look better with the swapped out 4x4 fenders though. Any other thoughts.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Are going for the "prerunner" look? If so, fiberglass fenders are an option. They're a little wider, and not too expensive. However, I think that having fiberglass prerunner fenders also means you have to have "Metal Mulisha", "Skin", and "Fleshgear", stickers plastered all over your truck... (Just kidding....)
Old 02-18-2006, 01:09 PM

Any links to the fiberglass fenders?? What length shocks would I need to purchase for the rear to make up for the lift?? I will probably need to re-gear the rear diff. right, what would be the best gearing 4.88's and give me a link to them? Also I was thinking for tires and wheels go with some mickey thompson classic 2 wheels (15x10, 5x4.5) What backspacing would work for me and I'll be running mickey thompson 33x12.5x15 baja claw radials.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

www.downeyoff-road.com

Last edited by dwh91102; 02-18-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GreyToyotaMan
Any links to the fiberglass fenders?? What length shocks would I need to purchase for the rear to make up for the lift?? I will probably need to re-gear the rear diff. right, what would be the best gearing 4.88's and give me a link to them? Also I was thinking for tires and wheels go with some mickey thompson classic 2 wheels (15x10, 5x4.5) What backspacing would work for me and I'll be running mickey thompson 33x12.5x15 baja claw radials.

Google is your friend:

Glassworks Unlimited
Toyotafiberglass.com

As far as backspacing, it depends on how far you want those suckers sticking out. Personally, I think 10" wide is a little much. I'd stick with 8" wide, with 3.75 or 4" BS. But if you're gonna go with 10"s, go with 5" BS. Most places will let you "try" on the wheels before to make sure they'll work. I recommend that. Search, my friend. There is a wealth of info out there to deepen your knowledge of all things Toyota.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:37 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Two words:

Long travel

I had the old "Ivan Dan" Fabtech lift on my '89 2WD, and it was AWESOME. 6-7" of lift IIRC. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore I was running 31x10.50 with slight rubbing. I have no idea what the backspacing on the wheels was though, and I had no body lift.

Check out
www.camburg.com
http://www.duffcoenterprises.com/toy84-95_2wd.htm
http://www.chaosfab.com/vance.html

Note: these kits make the front track a bit wider, you'll probably want replacement fenders to make it look right and take advantage of the longer suspension travel.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:13 AM

Well, I really don't want to go that extreme. Thats more of a dune machine. Also I'm sure all those long travel kits are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:58 PM

Well here's what I decided to go with:
  1. Fabtech 4" Spindle Lift (I e-mailed fabtech adn these spindles are discontinued but I can still get tehm through a supplier as long as they are instock.)
  2. Performance Accesories 3" Complete Body Lift Kit
  3. Marlin Crawler 4.5" Lift Shackles
  4. Marlin Crawler Extended Braided Brake Lines
What length rear shocks would I need to purchase to work on my rig also. Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 03:02 PM

O shoot another thing, I've been searching and I've found a heim steering tie rod kit. They say that the stock tie rods bend is that true.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GreyToyotaMan
Well here's what I decided to go with:

1. Fabtech 4" Spindle Lift (I e-mailed fabtech adn these spindles are discontinued but I can still get tehm through a supplier as long as they are instock.)
2. Performance Accesories 3" Complete Body Lift Kit
Forget the body lift. You don't need one.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:48 PM
tc
Contributing Member

You need an 8" shackle to match the 4" front lift, and that's too much. I would go with an AAL or better yet, a new spring pack.

To really fit 33's, you will need some body lift, but a 3" body lift is pretty tall. I would do the suspension and test fit a tire to see how much body lift you really need and keep it to the minimum. You should consider some fender "reprofiling" to get that last tiny bit more clearance.

Lastly, 33x10.50's will have A LOT better fitment than 12.50's due to the dramatically reduced scrub radius.

Last edited by tc; 02-21-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:49 PM

So the shackles won't work. I guess I'm better off with the add a leafs and blocks I guess or a new leaf pack then. right Thanks for answering all my questions guys you rock.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 PM

Do this!!!! Rear u-bolt flip kit, very cheap. Also add lift shackles. Thats about 4-6 inches of lift for the rear. Very cheap.

for the front hop on Google and look up 2wd front suspension lift (dont forget to say TOYOTA). Theres your answer!!!!

you can do it!!

If at all possible skip the body lift. Lots of things can happen with a body lift.

Dont take my word for it. Read these informative forums and you will find what you are looking for. If not try MarlinCrawler.com or pirate4x4.com.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:43 PM

Hey, Im running the "Ivan Dan" LT kit on my frontend. They say 7" lift, but its more around 5". I had 33x10.50's for about a week, they rubbed on the firewall. Im running 31's now and they clear the firewall, but they rub on my 3" buldge fiberglass. If you want to run 33's on a tight budget, you'll have to cut your firewall or go with the body lift and spindle.

Check out this site for clearing taller tires. TLT tacoma You can get an Idea on what to do from that if you avoid the body lift.

My buddy has the 4" fabtech lift spindles. I think the reason they discontinued them is because the steering knuckle (the part that bolts to the spindle) will break off the two bolts. He's gone through 8+ bolts (10.9). And his 27x8.50's rub when he turns, but fabtech claims 30x9.50's will work.

Before I got deavers, I ran an add-a-leaf, downey shackles and bilstien replacement shocks. The on-road ride sucked and the off-road decent. The 2wd trucks are spring under so unless you plan on doing SOA blocks are out of the question. If you did just SOA thats 3" lift I belive.

You might want to look into the deaver 3leaf replacement pack, its a 3"+ lift, and provides up to 14' of travel (with extened shocks). I've heard it has amazing off-road ride, and will be far better than any mod to the stock springs. Deaver

If you just want your truck to look cool, then 3" body lift will raise your firewall 3" higher and along the spindle you should be able to clear the 33's.There will be no performance gain accept ground clearance however. A lift shackle and AAL will work on the rear end.

Better performance would be the spindle, 3.5" arms and optional torsion bars up front and a replacement pack and extended shackles out back. Look out for this stuff on RDC for used and CHEAP!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So its possible to put the leaf springs on top of the axle in the rear and that will lift it? Because my springs are underneath the axle.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:07 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Yep - sorry I didn't think of that. Flip kit + small shackle is a great lift for the rear of the 2WD trucks. For the life of me, I can't remember what I did for rear lift on my '89!

Quick Reply: Lifting My truck