Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Keeping 1993 Toyota on life support! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Keeping 1993 Toyota on life support! HELP!

New member here, but I've been following these forums for about a year now and gotten a TON of info from you guys.

I've got a 1993 Toyota Pickup 2.4 22RE 5 Speed with about 203K. Great little truck, however, it's got some issues.

Cylinder compression is very low in the first cylinder; spark plug has lots of oil and burning on the tip. All the others are fine, all around 160PSI. The first cylinder is only about 40. I'm thinking leaky head gasket? I've done quite a bit of research already, and it's pointing to that.

Also, it drinks coolant like nobody's business. I'm filling it up AT LEAST half a gallon every day, some days more, just to keep the temp gauge below redline. When I top it off, it runs good while I drive it, then it sits and seems to be low again. Another reason I think it might be a bad head gasket, is there is white smoke (sometimes), and the engine oil cap has some white deposits under it. The oil is NOT like a milkshake, or really any more abnormal than usual - I've read those can be signs of a coolant leak. It also idles a bit low, and enough to shake the whole rig.

Right now, I do not have the money for an engine overhaul. I've been quoted prices that would make sailors cry, and have looked into doing it myself, but this is my daily driver, and I would be hard pressed to be out of the rig for more than a week. I'm wanting it to last just till the end of the summer, when I can maybe sell it off for parts, get what I can out of it, while saving for a new rig.

So, thoughts on what might keep it running? I know these trucks are bulletproof, and it's proven that already. I'm thinking a coolant flush is in order, plus checking all the coolant hoses for leaks. And an oil change more frequently to keep the engine clean. And some new spark plugs. Drive it nice, and pray.

Ideas? If more info is needed, let me know.

~ Justin
Old 06-02-2009, 08:26 PM

pressure in that cylinder is going somewhere, most likely into the coolant passages. cold start the engine with the radiator cap removed and check for bubbles of air/fuel. Coolant is probably leaking into the cylinder after shut down because the coolant is still
hot and pressurized, then when you start the motor again it burns the coolant off causing the white smoke. A leakdown test would tell you a lot more.

Last edited by fthertime666; 06-02-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by fthertime666
pressure in that cylinder is going somewhere, most likely into the coolant passages. cold start the engine with the radiator cap removed and check for bubbles of air/fuel. Coolant is probably leaking into the cylinder after shut down because the coolant is still
hot and pressurized, then when you start the motor again it burns the coolant off causing the white smoke. A leakdown test would tell you a lot more.
Ok I'll do that and let you know what happens. It's hard to find shops that know how to do a leak down test...they all want to do compression tests, which I did myself in about 5 minutes.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I've found the most conclusive test is a coolant pressure test; you can get the kit at Sears for under $50.