86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

k&n fipk kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k&n fipk kit?

What kind of performance, if any, can i expect, if i put one of these on my 95 3.0 4runner?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nothing noticable, you will however notice more dirt in your engine intake.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:42 AM

thanks

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Nothing noticable, you will however notice more dirt in your engine intake.
K&N sure has alot of outragous performance claims and testimonials about these on their sites
Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 AM

K&N has been around since 1969. If their products are really crap, why haven't they gone under and why is their product a household name? It seems that dissing on K&N is just the thing to do as is dissing on IFS.

I noticed better throttle response but it didn't help mpg, maybe if I was still running stock tire size there may have been an increase in mpg.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

People also seem to claim they kill engines which I've yet to see proof. I ran a K&N in front of my turbo for 6 years on my modded Eclipse and had no negative effects and with a turbo's near zero clearance at the housing you'd notice problems real quick. The car was regularly driven,raced and even a few off road rallies so the K&N did take some abuse and maybe allowed a little finer dirt in but all highflow filters allow more than OEM or paper filters do.

I run both a paper OEM version and switch to a K&N when I've been bored on my Runner and check the intake to the throttle body and noticed no negligible amount of dirt being allowed when the K&N is in place vs the OEM version.

Are they worth it? IMO not on a stock vehicle but on a track car I wouldn't hesitate to install one. I got mine for free so I figure why not use it.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:59 AM

thanks

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
People also seem to claim they kill engines which I've yet to see proof. I ran a K&N in front of my turbo for 6 years on my modded Eclipse and had no negative effects and with a turbo's near zero clearance at the housing you'd notice problems real quick. The car was regularly driven,raced and even a few off road rallies so the K&N did take some abuse and maybe allowed a little finer dirt in but all highflow filters allow more than OEM or paper filters do.

I run both a paper OEM version and switch to a K&N when I've been bored on my Runner and check the intake to the throttle body and noticed no negligible amount of dirt being allowed when the K&N is in place vs the OEM version.

Are they worth it? IMO not on a stock vehicle but on a track car I wouldn't hesitate to install one. I got mine for free so I figure why not use it.
I'm running a K&N in my sstock airbox. I've always run them on all my cycles without any trouble. My runner,95 is mostly on road with alot of boat hauling and alittle light offroading. I was looking for alittle power increase but not willing to part with $200 for minor improvements. thanx
Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your not sucking in cold air period if the cone filter is mounted in the engine bay!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Turbo cars get the performance gain from the volume of air they pull in and at the strip I removed my headlight;my intake temps were near ambient air temp as read on my datalogger during a drag run.

On a 3rd gen 4Runner/Taco a hole in the airbox gives the same results as the $200 kit. On my Eclipse I was able to also just cut the stock aircanister and use a drop-in.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:11 AM

i had a k&n kit on my 95 4runner and compared to a stock airbox with a drop-in k&n filter, the drop-in was better, IMO.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

If you're dead set on getting one, I'd throw the K&N filter element in the trash on day one and replace it with an Amsoil Ea filter element: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx

The newer trucks with a MAF sensor really have problems with the oiled gauze filters, check out this thread:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ght=Amsoil+air
Old 10-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Only if you overoil it. I run the K&N periodically to see if there are changes and I've had no issues with my MAF. Overoiling is the user's fault and it can happen with any oiled filter. Amsoil's filter is better but not by that much in the real world.

That thread doesn't show anything that similar threads on this forum show. Alot of people don't have problems with it and that is represented in that thread as well.
Most people don't have problems with the K&n than do so it's more of a personal choice and what the user feels comfortable with but I suggest get all the pros and cons and the facts before you decide.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Only if you overoil it. I run the K&N periodically to see if there are changes and I've had no issues with my MAF. Overoiling is the user's fault and it can happen with any oiled filter.
You're right, but if you under-oil it it lets even more dirt in so its a fine line to get it just right. I think I did a pretty good job of following the instructions with mine and I still had a noticable increase in dirt in the intake tube.

If I had to run a K&N filter again I'd never clean it, its only after it gets good and dirty that it starts to filter better. The bigger dirt will finally plug up the holes in the gauze.

I laugh everytime time I see a guy selling a vehicle and the ad says it has a K&N filter. Just what I want...an engine that had extra dirt sucked into it so the previous owner could get an extra couple HP (if that).

That thread doesn't show anything that similar threads on this forum show.
Sorry you were disappointed with it, maybe I over-sold it some.

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-25-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

We seek to keep having this K&N debate here...
Some folks like them, swear by them, others don't. It all depends on where you live and the kind of driving/wheeling you do... The desert/plains area types seem to have more issues with fine particulates getting through then folks in other areas generally speaking...
for myself I've had them in every vehicle I've owned and I've personally noticed an increase in fuel economy and [at least the feeling of] more power... no engine issues at all...
Old 10-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad's brand new k&n filter ruined his maf sensor out of the box. It took about a month and my dad's truck started running like garbage. I replaced the maf sensor and the airfilter and it worked fine! (tried cleaning it but since the truck has 115k miles i figured id just replace it)
Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 PM

for what it does and how much it costs you are better off going to pep boys(or ebay) and getting an maf adapter and getting any aftermarket filter you want, i.e aem. i did this with mine and i feel it in the higher rpms. makes getting up hills easier as well and its loud
Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive had mine for on ~3 years, >50K mi and have cleaned a few times.
never over oiled so it hasnt beeen an issue, nothing really collects on the inside of the tube either. even after a death valley run.
trail riding and mostly street driving, and avg 20mpg.

was the $$(185 shipped) worth the HP gain (9 claimed and garunteed)? meh, about even. it does respond/sound better.

if your in serious dust environments i would stay away from one and stick with the stock paper.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

As some folks have said for some reason the 5vze equiped vehicles seem to have a problem with the MAF sensor being sensitive to the slight oil mist that occurs during the filter's initial "break in" period and/or after a filter service and re-oil as such those with that engine need to consider that.

Also some filters seem to come from the factory with more oil on them then others...
Perhaps leaving the filter standing up on the bence in the garage for a week or so before installing to "drain" will help with this issue as regards the 5vze...

Last edited by aviator; 10-25-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

I've been looking through oil analysis numbers over on Bobistheoilguy.com and this guy had some of the worst silicon numbers I saw and he only had 3,350 miles on the oci. Looking down the thread... he said... (you guessed it yet?) Yep, K&N air filter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...995656&fpart=1

Last edited by mt_goat; 11-07-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:42 PM

I'll bet less dirt gets through the K&N air filter than gets through the fuel filter & it all ends up in the same place, unless I'm totally out in left field. You think those gas stations service their pump filters as often as they should. I have had the K&N drop-in since I've owned my truck (6 years - 45k miles) I did the intake tube mod over a year ago & every time I check it out, the inside of that tube is clean as a whistle. Use what you want & what you're happy with is what I say. Maybe they're not worth the $50-60 vs the $5-10 for FRAM papers, but I like em.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fredtheturd
I'll bet less dirt gets through the K&N air filter than gets through the fuel filter & it all ends up in the same place, unless I'm totally out in left field. You think those gas stations service their pump filters as often as they should.
I'll take that bet How about $1000?

Quick Reply: k&n fipk kit?