86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

just finished my clutch install and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just finished my clutch install and have a few questions

Just came back from a 7 hour clutch job. The old disk had a spring in about 10 pieces. New (used) flywheel, new disk + pressure plate, new pilot bearing, and new throwout bearing.

Now, the clutch engagement point is like 1/2" off the floor. If you're in gear and you let up the clutch the slightest amount you're moving. I've adjusted the pushrod out as far as it'll go and it still does this; any more adjustment outwards and the pushrod will come out of the clevis completely.

I'm about to head back to the shop to put on a new slave and master, but if that doesn't fix it, what gives?

Also, when you're getting moving the clutch makes a squealing noise. I forgot to grease the face of the throwout bearing; I assume this is the noise. Is there a way to put grease on there without dropping the tranny again? If not, can I just drive like this?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

I had to bleed the system to get my pedal back.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:43 PM

Hydraulic's been bled twice already, no change.

I'm gonna go swap the cylinders, I'll let everyone know.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is the clutch fork working properly? Not bent?

You can possibly get in past the clutch fork with a long flexible tool of sorts to apply some grease to the release bearing and input shaft.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Swapped in a new master and slave cylinder, the clutch is way better. Still squealing, but it's getting better. Hopefully with a bit of wear it'll quiet down. There's not enough freeplay and it still engages pretty close to the floor but it's better than the old clutch full of broken springs
Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont put grease on the throwoutbearing.

Is is a squeal or a chattering? Regardless it's probably the throwoutbearing making light contact with the pressure plate fingers.

Some folks have said they didnt use the clips on the fork to hold the throwoutbearing to the fork fingers. Not sure how they get away with this.. Anyways I had my clips backwards and they fell off and the bearing chattered on the plate fingers .. (I also greased the bearing and was told by a mechanic afterwards [when i was trying to figure out the chatter] never to grease it).. besides that grease wears off eventually anyways. It's not needed. All it did was make the bearing not catch on the fingers so it scraped over them... only grease where it slips on, just not the face that contacts the fingers

Got the clips on right and chatter was gone.

FYI

Last edited by drew303; 07-15-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:33 PM

diagram is from an old thread on when i did my clutch

the picture of my releasebearing hub the clips are on backwards.. .. the drawing shows the right way

Last edited by drew303; 07-15-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:56 AM

My new throwout bearing came with a new clip preinstalled and it went on exactly as the old one did.

I'm now thinking the squealing noise is the sound of the new clutch disk rubbing against the flywheel. Hopefully it'll quieten down with age. The flywheel was a used unit from a junkyard and when it was delivered it had a bit of rust on it. I sanded it with 400 grit as best I could but it still had a few small rough spots. That's probably what it is.

I guess we'll see how long this job lasts :/

Thanks guys!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:48 AM

ah man you should of gotten that thing turned.

I paid $33 for a brand new flywheel from schucks.. If you get the prices off their site and take it into the store (I had a core to) they will honor them.

If its a real squeal then its not the throwout bearing. The bearing wont squeel it'll chatter.

Not sure what you mean by it had the clip preinstalled? Theres two clips that hold the clutchfork to the release bearing "HUB" .. they just keep the fork somewhat attached to the hub and keep the hub from spinning from friction from the throwoutbearing. Keeps the V fingers on the hub.. if its not chattering then its probably not the bearing.

probably the used flywheel and new clutch not liking each other.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303
ah man you should of gotten that thing turned.

I paid $33 for a brand new flywheel from schucks.. If you get the prices off their site and take it into the store (I had a core to) they will honor them.

If its a real squeal then its not the throwout bearing. The bearing wont squeel it'll chatter.

Not sure what you mean by it had the clip preinstalled? Theres two clips that hold the clutchfork to the release bearing "HUB" .. they just keep the fork somewhat attached to the hub and keep the hub from spinning from friction from the throwoutbearing. Keeps the V fingers on the hub.. if its not chattering then its probably not the bearing.

probably the used flywheel and new clutch not liking each other.
If the clips where on backwards would that cause a "belt squealing" noise? like.. *sorry for the lame attempt here* sssquwwee wewe wewe wewe wewe.