Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just bought 86 Pickup - couple questions & hesitation issue

Old 05-29-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought 86 Pickup - couple questions & hesitation issue

Hello all,

Just bought a 1986 Toyota Pickup (standard cab, 5 speed manual, long bed) with 53K original miles! Great find, and overall in good shape.

This is the first Toyota I've owned since my first car---an 81 Celica with the bulletproof 22R.....hence my desire to get this type of truck!

So, over the past 4 days, I've added almost 1000 miles to that 53K mile odometer (some getting it home, then back and forth to work).

Pretty much the only issue I have is as follows:

-When at higher and consistent revs, it often stutters and hesitates. Letting off on the gas pedal and feathering it a bit cures that until I really open up the throttle (oftentimes when going up hills/grades) and it happens again.

My thought is that there is debris in the fuel system somewhere. Any thoughts?

I planned on changing all fluids (engine, tranny, diff, coolant, ps, brakes, clutch....) and filters to give me a baseline. I thought that while changing the fuel filter I could clean out the fuel line (blow it out with the compressor???). Or maybe something got through and is blocking the jets under full throttle and the letting off of the gas unblocks it??

Open to thoughts. I really think it is fuel related, but am waiting on a Haynes manual to read up on the truck (up until now everything I work on is old British stuff). Suppose it could be electrical......the plug wires are the original (stamped 1985 Toyota) and I would guess-not having got there yet-that so is the cap, rotor, etc....

Oh, and if I take the carb off (or the top....again not sure without the manual)…..are gaskets available somewhere (if the carb comes off.....then carb to intake as well)??

But, it starts right up, runs and idles and drives smoothly and quietly.....so can't be too major!

Thanks!
Julian

Last edited by knac1234; 06-24-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: color
Old 06-22-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
If you change the font color (like to white / automatic color) so people can see the text, people might read it and help you.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought 86 Pickup - couple questions & hesitation issue-screen-shot-2018-06-22-4.28.11-pm.png  

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-22-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
How was it stored? Thats really low miles for a 30 year old truck. What was the fluid maintenance like? How often was it driven? Was it filled up and driven then parked.....Driven and parked again and again on the same tank? Constant old gas sitting in the tank and lines could lead to a fuel system clean up.

Change your fuel filter and run it, see if thats it. Relocate the filter to the wheel well while your at it. This makes for convenient changes in the future.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:18 AM

Thanks guys....font color changed I think!

A few days after writing the post on my next day off I changed all of the fluids and filters, front to back, to give me a good baseline for maintenance.

Among those items were the fuel filter. Before doing so, I used an electric pump to remove some fuel from the tank, observing how it looked. No debris or nastiness was noted in the jam jar into which I pumped it. I did however, after cutting the old fuel filter in half, find a pretty dirty filter. I replaced the filter with a clear style one so that I could see debris/buildup, and also the closest rubber lines.

After completing all of the fluid changes (diff, trans, engine/filter, power steering, brake); replacing the air filter; replacing the clutch master, slave, and hose; repairing the horn (removing the steering wheel and contacts and cleaning them up); repairing the clock (harness disconnected due to the ground wire in the plug being severed); and checking tire pressures (new tires....but overinflated), I test drove her.

Problem solved.....no hesitation at all....just a dirty filter. I have logged several hundred miles again since then!

Thanks guys,

Julian

Last edited by knac1234; 06-24-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: color
Old 06-24-2018, 07:04 AM

Nah, color did not change. I had to "quote" you and remove the color html's

Originally Posted by knac1234
Hello all,

Just bought a 1986 Toyota Pickup (standard cab, 5 speed manual, long bed) with 53K original miles! Great find, and overall in good shape.

This is the first Toyota I've owned since my first car---an 81 Celica with the bulletproof 22R.....hence my desire to get this type of truck!

So, over the past 4 days, I've added almost 1000 miles to that 53K mile odometer (some getting it home, then back and forth to work).

Pretty much the only issue I have is as follows:

-When at higher and consistent revs, it often stutters and hesitates. Letting off on the gas pedal and feathering it a bit cures that until I really open up the throttle (oftentimes when going up hills/grades) and it happens again.

My thought is that there is debris in the fuel system somewhere. Any thoughts?

I planned on changing all fluids (engine, tranny, diff, coolant, ps, brakes, clutch....) and filters to give me a baseline. I thought that while changing the fuel filter I could clean out the fuel line (blow it out with the compressor???). Or maybe something got through and is blocking the jets under full throttle and the letting off of the gas unblocks it??

Open to thoughts. I really think it is fuel related, but am waiting on a Haynes manual to read up on the truck (up until now everything I work on is old British stuff). Suppose it could be electrical......the plug wires are the original (stamped 1985 Toyota) and I would guess-not having got there yet-that so is the cap, rotor, etc....

Oh, and if I take the carb off (or the top....again not sure without the manual)…..are gaskets available somewhere (if the carb comes off.....then carb to intake as well)??

But, it starts right up, runs and idles and drives smoothly and quietly.....so can't be too major!

Thanks!
Julian
Definitely start with the simplest, lowest cost, easiest to do and obvious items like 33-YO ignition wires, and the othe usual maintenance stuff. Get a multi-meter (see signature) and measure resistance of the ignition wires.
I'm also contemplating INSPECTING the strainer/sock on my fuel filter for preventive measures. However, opening it may destroy the gasket that seals FP to fuel tank. If you do it, please keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought 86 Pickup - couple questions & hesitation issue-inspect_test_ignition_wires.png  

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-24-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:20 PM

Good idea with the plug wires. I have a multimeter already, but little experience with it. How do you check the resistance??

Thanks,
Julian

Last edited by knac1234; 06-24-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: color
Old 06-24-2018, 03:34 PM

Still can't read what you posted.
This is what it looks on my Android phone.
I think you "colored" your text WHITE. Stop doing that. Displays with white background like smartphones will not show anything.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-24-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:49 PM

Sorry....trying to make it so that everyone can read it....clearly the default does not work nor does white. I am trying another color now!

Julian

Last edited by knac1234; 06-24-2018 at 03:50 PM. Reason: color
Old 06-24-2018, 06:22 PM

Good idea with the plug wires. I have a multimeter already, but little experience with it. How do you check the resistance??

Thanks,
Julian
Sorry....trying to make it so that everyone can read it....clearly the default does not work nor does white. I am trying another color now!

Julian
HAH! Better - LOL!
Usually, "automatic" font color is safer to use.

Easy to check resistance, Please post clear picture (in lieu of a thousand words) of your multi-meter so we can show you how.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought 86 Pickup - couple questions & hesitation issue-screen-shot-2018-06-24-7.19.23-pm.png