Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ivan "Ironman" Stewarts PPI #001 Toyota race truck restoration

Old 01-03-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Work is being done but just not a lot to report.....so how about an old race report?

History lesson- Race #17, The 1986 Great Mohave 250

Ivan Stewart would finally have luck on his side at this race with a pretty good starting position in the 7th spot (#107). After the first lap (132 miles) he was 3rd on the road a slim 3:45 behind Larry Noel (1st) and Bob Renz (2nd). The 2nd lap (108 miles) saw Ivan and Larry swapping the leap a few times and in sight of each other for the entire loop. Ivan would finish in front of Larry but Larry started in the 14th spot and beat Ivan on time to finish 1st by 1 minute and 30 seconds. Larry would be beat out for the Overall by Jim and Mark Temple in the Yellow Raceco by 1.2 seconds! Later in the day the official results showed Larry Noel had run a check point and was hit with an 11 minute penalty dropping him to 3rd place in class 1 giving the win to Ivan....his first win in the Unlimited class in the Toyota!

Photo credit Centerline Photo

Here's the rest of the story with captions from the May 1986 issue of Dusty Times magazine.
Words: Jean Calvin
Photo's: Trackside Photo

Race Specs:
Race distance approx 240 Miles
Car/Truck/bike entries- 405
Finishers- 194
10 hour time limit

Overall 4 wheeled winner: Jim and Mark Temple, class 2 unlimited Raceco. 4:56:36
Overall bike winner: Dan Smith/Dan Ashcraft, Husky. 4:43:58

Steve Tetrick/Fred Ronn single seat ORE buggy out running Brad Diehl in the single seat DirTrix off the start. The Tetrick/Ronn ORE would finish 1st in class 10 and an impressive 6th Overall getting them the cover of Dusty Times in May 1986.

The results.....

Old 01-03-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like a winner!!! Following
Old 01-12-2018, 05:30 PM

Well, since the Ivan Stewart Toyota is in Vegas I decided to move the loaner Toyota into the garage and start the process of cutting off the roof. Turns out Mark Waite from Bilstein wanted the loaner Toyota for a rock crawler project and the body is not needed. We did some horse trading and i will be delivering the Toyota to them in a couple weeks. In the mean time Mark said if i needed the top off the Toyota, "have at it". Sooo, it was now time to hone in my sawzal skillz.

First things first I needed to take all the glass out of the truck. the rear window was Plexiglas but had already developed a crack so it was no problem getting it out...

The side windows were next and they are in great condition. I will be throwing these up on craigslist shortly so i can make a few bucks on them since i know they are sought after by the Yota crowd...

The front windshield was also cracked and no easy way of getting it out. I will skip the photos because I didn't want any evidence on how much of a monkey show that was. I then started cutting the C, B and A-pillars as straight as possible...

It went repetitively smoothly and i finished the entire project in about 2 hours. Here's the top after it was cut from the truck...

Here's the truck after the top was cut off, and will sit patiently until it gets delivered to California in a couple weeks...

Hopefully within the next 2 weeks Collins will be done with their portion of the work and i can deliver the truck to Darryl Putman so he can cut off the old top and put this one on. We're getting there.......
Old 02-18-2018, 01:37 PM

I know I know, it's been a while but not much to report. hoping that all changes next week. Talked with billy Goerke the other day and he got his first look at the trucks front suspension. He said the binding on the passenger side might be from needing shims and the bushings redone.....but will know more later tonight (he's working on my truck on a Sunday). Crossing my fingers it's a simple deal, then hopefully off to Darryls shop to put the new top on the truck.

Here's a little nugget for you, "off_road_baja_sur" (Instagram) messaged me this picture of the #001 PPI Toyota from the 2003 Carrera Coyote 300 (Todos Santos to La Paz). Photo credit Fermin Gonzalez.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:00 AM

Well, not much to report just yet, Collins Motorsports has been extremely busy. Just when Billy Goerke thinks he has a window to work on the Toyota they decide to race San Felipe.....UGH! Hahhahaha. oh well, I know the drill. That doesn't mean i'm not doing anything productive.
In the meantime, here is the latest throwback of the #001 PPI Toyota's racing career.

History lesson- Race #18, The 1986 MINT 400

Problems would again plague the PPI team as both the Ivan Stewart 001 and Frank Arciero 002 Toyota's would have numerous mechanical problems. Ivan started way back in the 34 car field with #123 and move his way up to 5th place about halfway through the race but then the breakdowns started happening and would end up a disappointing 9th at the finish.

Photo credit Trackside Photo

Here's the rest of the story with captions from the June 1986 issue of Dusty Times magazine.

Race Specs:
Race distance approx 404 Miles
Car/Truck entries- 367
Finishers- 113 (30.8%)
18 hour time limit

Overall 4 wheeled winner: Larry Ragland Woodstuff class 1 Chaparral 8:33:14

Cameron Thieriot and Greg Lewin won class 2 unlimited and finished 2nd Overall in their ORE Funco Hustler, 10 minutes behind Larry Ragland. Here they are landing themselves on the cover of the June 1986 issue of Dusty Times.

I wish I had more to report on the Toyota as I'm hoping that will change with a short trip down to NORRA (spectating) next month to get the motivation kicked back into high gear.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:53 AM

I feel like the e-brake is on but i am moving forward. I wish I was talented enough to do all the fabrication work myself but I'm not. I'm on the back burner at Collins Motorsports by CHOICE, not their fault. Collins always takes care of me but the trade out is i have to wait till they are not busy. They are busy right now. Fortunately for me Billy Goerke is getting sick of looking at it sitting in the shop and taking up space so it has been moved into the fabrication room this week and looks like things are going to start happening.

We need a new yoke made for the trans as the old one was upgraded. Billy is measuring out the specs and will send it out to be made up in Las Vegas...

Old housing and Yoke...

New housing needing new yoke...

I dropped the rear fender molds off at Norm Francis' house in early April. He is going to make cradles for the molds so they are straight and rigid so the new rear fenders come out correct. Even after all the hard work my buddy Jason Tilley did on the old fenders they just are too far gone for show. They might turn out to be perfect for race fenders though....

When I'm not working on the car I'm saving my money so all is not lost. I hope to really get moving on this project this summer with LOTS of updates and something to look at by September. Cross your fingers.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see this back on its wheels!
Old 05-07-2018, 04:48 PM

Ok, are you guys ready for a REAL update?!?!? Me too! Ok, Billy was able to put in almost a full day on the Toyota and what he found was good, for both myself and Collins Motorsports. As you know, the PP! #001 Toyota was placed into the Fab room at Collins motorsports last week and when anything gets moved into their you know that work is about to happen....

The lower bulkhead was taken off the truck as I believed this is where the "binding" was taking place....

As the upper A-Arms are strapped up...

Here's all the hardware for the front suspension, well, most of it, there is some stuff missing from the pile...

I knew the lower A-Arms were binding but i wasn't sure why. I know that the bushings weren't lining up the way they should and it scared me (thinking i would need to have the lower arms rebuilt). Here is a close up of the problem, you can see the gap....

Here's after Billy worked his magic...

So of course I was wondering if it was the bulkhead or the A-Arms that were tweaked but before i could ask i got this picture....

Alrighty then! Billy seems to think that the previous owners were having bushing problems and the lowers were not snugged up well enough. Over time and the harshness of the desert pounding the truck was taking it was slowly tweaking the lower A-Arms since nothing was holding them snug into place. I can tell you this was a weight lifted as replacing either the front bulkhead or lower A-Arms would have taken a HUGE bite out of my budget. Once again Robbie and Billy Goerke to the rescue.

The following picture was sent by Billy Goerke's phone but I know for a fact that Billy didn't do this because Billy does not partake in such shenanigans and would never stoop so low as to sending such an offensive text! I'm sure a full blown investigation starts tomorrow at Collins Motorsports.....

Anyways, one more thing I have been working on....kinda....is a new t-shirt design for the Toyota. We are "THINKING" about coming out with some apparel to help fund the Toyota restoration but instead of getting sponsorships (that are hard to come by) I decided to see if YOU GUYS wanted to help fund the truck. Something like $25 for a 12 color process design on a high quality t-shirt. I'm still kicking around ideas and what to offer but a t-shirt is pretty much a sure thing. Here's a sneak peak....

Starting to get exciting again, been a long time since I've had progress like this and I hope to keep the ball rolling.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I LOVE IT!

If it isn't right make it so! I lime their style!

Get that line drawing in color and let me know where to send you some 💰 . Keep #001 alive!
Old 05-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Poster from 1986....

Possibly a new one for 2018..........

II
II
\ /
\/

Old 05-11-2018, 01:21 PM

From another thread someone asked when the first time I did a t-shirt design for Ivan Stewart.......

"I believe it was 1989, here's the shirt, I don't even have a copy of the original design. I was going to do the artwork for FREE but Ivan INSISTED on paying me. You can't imagine how giddy I was when i saw my artwork on a t-shirt for the very first time....and of course it was for Ivan Stewart!"

Old 05-11-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
I'm totally in for a shirt when you have them ready. Might have a few friends who would want one too
Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 AM

While investigating more parts on the Toyota i came across this "washer"...

I was pretty sure it had to do with the front or rear suspension because of the the ID of the washer. I know I have said this before but it bares repeating, I am fortunate to be able to ask the original builders in this tuck for answers when i run into a block wall.

I fist email Tommy Morris and he agree's that it is most likely a washer for one of the suspension pieces. He then emails Cal Wells and this is the response:

"That's exactly what it's for. This washer slips over the rocker arm stub that comes off the razed portion built to accommodate and position the rocker arm and torsion bar on each side of the chassis. It's just a simplified thrust washer made out of CDA 954 with carbon insert plugs for lubricity. As you stated the chamfer is to make accommodation for the weldment. We had looked at thrust bearings with rollers in them but were concerned about the dirt which is why we went to the stuff."

Keep in mind that answer is just off the top of Cals head.........FROM 34 YEARS AGO!!!!! Good stuff eh?
Old 05-18-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Loving the progress. And I am digging that design! I'll take one in a 3x tank top (I like fruit of the loom). Lol! And of you can't accommodate a special request, then I'll take a regular old 3x shirt.

*edit: that IS just a joke, however I really do think that design on a tank top would totally be late 80s/early 90s style.

Last edited by space-junk; 05-18-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
I too would wear it as a tank top
Old 05-21-2018, 03:46 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Racersonly
From another thread someone asked when the first time I did a t-shirt design for Ivan Stewart.......

"I believe it was 1989, here's the shirt, I don't even have a copy of the original design. I was going to do the artwork for FREE but Ivan INSISTED on paying me. You can't imagine how giddy I was when i saw my artwork on a t-shirt for the very first time....and of course it was for Ivan Stewart!"
I would be up for getting a shift too! those would be pretty frigging awesome.

Love this thread!
Old 05-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This is my favorite thread on yotatech.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:26 PM

History lesson- Race #19, The 1986 Baja Internacional (500).

Coming back from a tough race at the MINT 400 the month before, Ivan Stewart got his 2nd win of the season (2nd Overall) at the Baja 500. The Baja 500 was always one of Ivans favorite races due to the fact it usually landed the week of his birthday. Ivan had a great race going against Mark McMillin and Mike Lund but Ivan was able to hold them off for the class 1 win. Corky and Scott McMillin would edge Ivan out for the Overall win by 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
Frank Arciero was having a strong run until his transmission went out near Mikes Sky Ranch and ended up finishing 10th in class 2.

Photo credit Trackside Photo

Here's the rest of the story with captions from the July 1986 issue of Dusty Times magazine.

Race Specs:
Race distance approx 492 Miles
Car/Truck/Bike/ATV entries- 277
Finishers- 174 (57%)
20 hour time limit

Fastest time Overall- Class 22- Garth Sweetland/Scott Harden- Husqvarna- 8:27:57
Fastest time Overall car- Class 2- Corky & Scott McMillin-Chenowth/Porsche-8:53:58

Corky and Scott McMillin graced the cover of Dusty Times that month along with Glenn Harris and his Mazda Grand National sport truck...

Class 1 and class 10...

Class 8 and class 5...

Class 1/2 1600...

Class 6s and class 5/1600...

Class 3 and class 4...

Class 7...

And the results...

Old 06-16-2018, 12:43 PM

Well, finally something to report. I went up to Collins motorsports on Monday to go pick up the 001 Toyota. Billy Goerke did a lot of meticulous work to the front suspension and finally got it back to where it needed to be. List of things on the "To Do" list included:
*Front suspension work
*New trans output shaft
*Set limit straps on rear suspension
*New cross bar for the fuel cell

Not a lot of work but tedious work that is out of the box thinking. Front suspension had a few surprises. First was we know was the lower a-arms were tweaked and needed to be put back to the proper specs...

Billy also found out that the front upper a-arm mounts were tweaked from the pounding they took from the torsion adjusters...

Then of course when all that was fixed they had to figure out the brass shims so everything was equal on both sides. You would think once you got one side figured out it should mirror the other side, no such luck. Here's the stack of shims...

After some time the upper a-arm shims were figured out and everything was back in it's happy place...

Truck was loaded on the trailer and then transported back home...

Took a day last week to clean out the garage so I could fit them both in, mission accomplished!

Whats next? Well, I was suppose to deliver the truck straight to Darryl Putmans place to have the new (cab) top welded on but he needs a couple weeks before he can fit me in. In the meantime I have some minor stuff to do which COULD include taking off the suspension and getting it all ready for paint. Not sure i want to paint the actual frame yet, might want to wait till i get it back from getting the top welded on first.

This was a Big step that we crossed off our list, all the suspension fabrication work is complete, only paint and prep remains for the suspension. WHEW!

All we have left is:

Make molds for front glass, paint, brake parts, new fuel cell, all new plumbing, all new wiring, motor choice, set up suspension, gather up spare parts, find front tires that will work, new exhaust, new nut and bolt hardware, sonic clean and test all coolers and radiator, build radiator lines, drill out "speed holes" for front fenders, find another $30k, order KC lights, build new front bumper, build new wrap around bumper for rear, figure out fuel system, limit straps, new rod end hardware........
Old 06-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
well that is a huge step to have it on all 4 wheels.

i see a thing on your list that matches my list: Find another $30K!

Are you going original KC's or doing a set of their LED's?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ivan "Ironman" Stewarts PPI #001 Toyota race truck restoration