YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Issues with 1986 4Runner What Should I do? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/issues-1986-4runner-what-should-i-do-186323/)

ttlycnfuzd 07-10-2009 02:40 PM

Issues with 1986 4Runner What Should I do?

Ok... Heres the issue that I am having.....

A friend and I bought an 86 4Runner about a year ago in the hopes of having a nice project truck. Since then, his job situation changed, and neither one of us has the money to do the stuff that needs to be done to fix this thing back up right. He uses it as his DD, and the gas mileage sucks too much for him.

Heres the deal on the runner:
86, auto, 22RE, a/c, plain jane version. Missing the front diff, (no 4wheeling...), and the tranny just started making noise. The body has over 300,000 on it, but the engine is a recent rebuild (not too sure how many miles on it tho) It has 31x10.50's on it that are in decent shape ( but they are showin wear) Air shocks on the rear. Body's in decent shape, no rust....

Basically, now he wants something that is pickup in form, but that gets better gas mileage, and doesn't need repair. Any ideas on what can be done on a very limited budget? I'm not sure what this thing could go for complete... or if it is worth more in peices

:help:

PlugItIn 07-10-2009 04:29 PM

i get 20ish mpg easy in mine...why not swap a w56 5 speed in there and drive her? I would love to find a not rusted out runner here in michigan...

ttlycnfuzd 07-13-2009 06:11 AM

Problem with that is, my friend uses it as a DD, and he is in stop & go traffic twice a day.... Stick isn't an option for him. Also, trying to get all the parts to convert it to a 5sp might get a little more costly than he would hope for....

75k5toy 07-13-2009 07:24 AM

You said the front differential is missing? :think: I gess you mean the front drive shaft, if that's the case, go to the pyp on milliken they go for less than $30.00 replace the tranny fluid and add some good juice to it. then go to azusa canyon, and play hard in the mud, maybe a young kid want to swap his little lawnmower nissan/honda for yer runner.:drink:

ttlycnfuzd 07-13-2009 07:56 AM

nope... not the driveshaft... the whole diff is gone. (think 2wd) ... and Im a little against ricer hondas anyways... lol

ttlycnfuzd 07-16-2009 12:10 PM

hmm... ok... what about if I were to sell it? Would it be worth more complete, or in peices?

Or does someone have a little pickup (doesn't have to be a toyota) that they would trade? ;)

Tofer 07-16-2009 12:21 PM

why cant he drive stick in stop and go traffic?

ttlycnfuzd 07-16-2009 12:37 PM

My thoughts exactly.... but in his defense, he can be sitting in traffic for almost an hour (when it is really congested), and there are a couple of hills on the freeway that are a PITA. He did it a few years back with a newer honda car, and swore he would never own a stick again....

fireman1559 07-16-2009 01:23 PM

it might be worth 2 grand maybe it just depedns but it sounds like it could use a good tune up for the front diff i dont see why yall cant find one around there and put it in and youd be able to get alot more out of it but i would have to see it to really say how much it would be worth but 2 grand to 1500 sounds sounds about right for it as it sits now without seeing it inperson or some pics

ttlycnfuzd 07-16-2009 01:32 PM

Yea... the ability to do all the proper things are here, with the exception of the money. I would do alot more to it myself, if it weren't for the fact that I have my own truck to do work on. Im actually getting all the parts to do the HG, and put power steering on it... thats a big hunk of my budget

PlugItIn 07-16-2009 01:48 PM

i dont think it would be worth 2 grand with a missing front diff and the tranny messing up. Your in canada i'm assuming? Im always interested in a project...

ttlycnfuzd 07-16-2009 01:57 PM

No.... get that all the time.... Ontario California.. lol

PlugItIn 07-16-2009 02:00 PM

haha...my bad, yeah totally opposite side of the US for me.