Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Installed Air/Fuel Ratio Guage on my 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed Air/Fuel Ratio Guage on my 4runner

I got my eye on this unit for awhile so today I have finally got it. At fist I got the wrong signal wire but now it work... It show that I am running good to abit rich? But it look cool as it look...

One of the wire need to connect to one of the 4 wire that is the signal wire. Which is the black wire next to the blue wire. I test my volts meter on this wire it didn't give out any. This picture show the wrong wire.

It run... See it in action...

Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very good to have when you start doing upgrades. and make sure you put weather proofing on the connection.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:58 PM

Thanks for that. I have use black tape for now. Will get to it when I can get some of those. Yeah hopefully in the future it will help the truck not to run too rich or lean of any upgrade I will do... It would be cool if it run closer to lean side though... I push it to 3k+ and it went all the way up to the rich zone...
Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
so you connected to the blue wire right? i believe the 2 black wires are for the 02 heater the white is ground and the blue should be the signal wire.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest you install a wideband sensor for the a/f meter so that it gets a better signal and doesn't affect the feedback to the ECU. Just a small amount of signal degradation caused by the a/f meter can change the a/f mixture.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 AM

The O2 sensor outputs a voltage proportional to the oxygen content in the exhaust stream. Anything causing any loss of voltage will affect what the ECU sees.
Without knowing the impedance of the a/f meter, it's logical to assume that the a/f meter will consume some of the voltage output by the O2 sensor during the process of interpreting the signal thus affecting the voltage, and consequently the a/f ratio, the ECU sees.

Make sense?
Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 AM

It connects to the ECU because it connects to the signal wire from the O2 sensor, which leads to the ECU.

Think "parallel resistance".

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-27-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
so you connected to the blue wire right? i believe the 2 black wires are for the 02 heater the white is ground and the blue should be the signal wire.
The black is the signal. It is the one NEXT to the blue wire is the one. I have check the ECM and the black wire is connected to the Ox pin.

I have driven it more and seem like mine is running ok... The wideband seem like I have to make a new thread to the exhaust pipe? That is a costly device...
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 AM

What he means is that the ecu may not be seeing the clean signal it needs- once you start hooking up other things to the signal wire. I would suggest welding a bung ahead of the cat putting in a true wideband and getting separate readings of what is really going on. You've got the guage- the O2 sensor should be $60 Bosche from a Volk's model- check out Inovate LC-1. I have one on my Chevy with an aftermarket ecm and you can set targe a/f 's so the ecm can actually self learn to a certain extent. The wideband will tell you exactly where you are at- not just rich/lean.

Last edited by dfarr67; 03-01-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by dfarr67
What he means is that the ecu may not be seeing the clean signal it needs...
Thank you.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 AM
totally a bro
Staff

follow your black wire to the other side of the connector and see if it goes to a black wire or if it goes to a pink with green stripe or a white with red stripe wire. the o2 sensor wires from the plug to the sensor are going to be different than what is coming from the ecu to the plug.

ecu to plug black shielded wire is signal wire
pink and green wire is 02 heater wire
white and red wire is +b/power for heater
brown is ground

plug to 02 blue signal (should be)
black 02 heater wire
black 02 heater wire
white ground (should be)

Please verify that you have the correct wire tapped into. Otherwise you may just be watching your battery voltage.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
follow your black wire to the other side of the connector and see if it goes to a black wire or if it goes to a pink with green stripe or a white with red stripe wire. the o2 sensor wires from the plug to the sensor are going to be different than what is coming from the ecu to the plug.

ecu to plug black shielded wire is signal wire
pink and green wire is 02 heater wire
white and red wire is +b/power for heater
brown is ground

plug to 02 blue signal (should be)
black 02 heater wire
black 02 heater wire
white ground (should be)

Please verify that you have the correct wire tapped into. Otherwise you may just be watching your battery voltage.
Interesting. I have not thought of that... I have check again and it is the BLUE wire is the signal. I will fix that. I may have been watching my battery all this time...

*Update*

Well it seem like it is running on the Lean side to optimal zone. When at first startup it was on Lean instead at Rich zone as per the guage operation manuel said. I will do a full test tomorrow. Thanks alot Vital22re for that info.

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 03-02-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 PM
totally a bro
Staff

not a problem.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reading and adjusting A/F ratios are tricky and can cause allot more harm then good, but when used properly can net great results. just make sure you always run a little rich, its allot safer in the end. make sure to always solder and weather proof any connections that may send a faulty signal to the ECU, all it takes is for a pin to short out from some water and you'll have more air flowing through your piston then your muffler..... not good. nice mod though.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As an FYI, some wideband kits (like Innovate's) have a narrowband simulator than can be connected to the vehicle's OEM sensor plug. This will allow you to monitor actual wideband AFRs while the ECU gets the narrowband signal it requires. That means you don't have to put another bung in the exhaust.

Narrowband sensors are most accurate over a narrow band right around stoich and not much more than an educated guess above or below that.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:57 PM

DD. Now where can I get the narrowband at. I have look around but can't seem to find it yet. Now the guage is moving down to Lean to optimal zone alot now. I may get the narrowband if available.

My TPS have been work on so I will adjust it again. On the manuel were it says that when you first start your vehicle in the morning it will be on the Rich side but when I start mine up in the morning it was on the Lean side... It seem either the manual is wroing or the truck is bad?.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Guardian_Saint
DD. Now where can I get the narrowband at. I have look around but can't seem to find it yet. Now the guage is moving down to Lean to optimal zone alot now. I may get the narrowband if available.

My TPS have been work on so I will adjust it again. On the manuel were it says that when you first start your vehicle in the morning it will be on the Rich side but when I start mine up in the morning it was on the Lean side... It seem either the manual is wroing or the truck is bad?.
You have a narrow band now, and they are useless for tuning. A narrow band O2 sensor is what your truck has stock. If you really want to know what your A/F ratio is get a wide band.

When you are starting your truck in the morning its showing lean because the O2 sensor is cold. The O2 sensor has a heater to get it up to operating temp, before it gets up to temp it will not show an accurate reading.

The manual is not wrong lol and chances are the truck is not bad ether. If you want to see what the useless narrow band says when you start it try turning your key to run for a couple of min before you start the truck so the sensor can warm up.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Looks like a really "jank" install if you ask me. Why you running an A/F guage? What brand is that? Is it a wideband? Does it have an output to the ecu or is it just eye candy?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM

I bought one because the truck seem to eat alot of gas. I have change the plug and a few of them plug seem to tell that I am running rich. But the Ox sensor has not been change but than I will change that later on. After the new cat. convertor was install my gas mileage has gone up so I think it was my old cata. convertor was giong bad... The name is iequus... It probably does not have a wideband but I have to splice them togheter to the Ox. sensor wire... I might just get the wideband someday...

Wheelingnoob... If you say so if the manuel is correct. It was reading as the manuel was describing when I connect it to the wrong wire and that it did was only reading the battery voltage... But after finding the correct wire, the guage acted so diffrent to the manuel description... So either the manuel was describing the battery voltage by mistake I don't know...

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 03-05-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Narrowbands are pretty much for show. They don't tell you any valuable information. Wideband or bust.

Quick Reply: Installed Air/Fuel Ratio Guage on my 4runner