YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Ignition cylinder (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/ignition-cylinder-162368/)

Justinvd 12-22-2008 01:41 PM

Ignition cylinder

Well my 4runner got broken into saterday night, they ripped the door lock right outa my driver side door then proceeded to jam skissors into my ignition. Everything is fine but the tumbers must be broken. Can someone please tell me how to get the cylinder out? ive lined it up in th acc position but i think the little metal cover that says off, ACC, start is holding it in. Does that just pop off cuz i cant get it too? any help would be awsome thanks. Oh and its a 1988 22R-E 4runner if that helps any.

algranger 12-22-2008 02:08 PM

there should be 1 screw on the opposite side your key goes into for the actual electrical mechanism. as for the tumbler you will have to remove the steering wheel theres one 17 or 19mm nut and the steering shaft has a spline gear so you just wiggle and pull on the wheel and it will slide off. then youl have to pull the combo switches off and there will be a beefy c clip once you remove that you can slide the tumbler assembly off

Justinvd 12-22-2008 03:27 PM

Dont i need like a strongback or a harmonic balancer puller to get my steering wheel off, i tried to wiggle it after i took that nut off but i dont think it will come.

just a 22re 12-22-2008 05:53 PM

to get the ign out you just get key to ign one then take the plastic cover off the calom then take a pick and push in the pin thats at the bottom of the ogn and at the way front of it (more to the key side at the bottom) then pull it out key and all theres no screws or anything other then the 6 that hold the plasic on

thook 12-22-2008 06:25 PM

Justin............I like your TOYOTA definition. :hillbill:

Thanks for the correction, Allan. I took the two screws out described by algranger not knowing I didn't need to. Now, I do though. Weeeeee!!

Justinvd 12-22-2008 06:31 PM

I dont know what pin your talking bout allan, i looked all over and probed every hole :hillbill: and i cannot find what your talking about. :think:

thook 12-22-2008 06:35 PM

It looks like a little ball bearing, sort of, on the bottom part of the cylinder. Look again.

algranger 12-22-2008 06:36 PM

just give it an aggresive wiggle its like a spline gear on the steering shaft. put yer back into it!

Justinvd 12-22-2008 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by algranger (Post 51007380)
just give it an aggresive wiggle its like a spline gear on the steering shaft. put yer back into it!

Al apparently u dont have to take the steering wheel off haha so i wont be wiggling it:hillbill:

thook 12-22-2008 06:40 PM

Ah.....but, you like a good wiggle every now and again, don't you? Lord knows I do.........hehehe.

algranger 12-22-2008 06:45 PM

oh ok.

schmooot 12-22-2008 07:38 PM

most if not all the older toyotas have the standard tumbler release. The key has to be in acc and then it is a simple push the release and pull on the key. It is most likely right on the underside of the assy ..not deep either. It will require removing the plastic bezel