If You Run Flamethrower Injectors In Your 3VZE

Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If You Run Flamethrower Injectors In Your 3VZE

Please post up.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do, very happy with them.

I had put reman'd injectors in about 9 months ago with little to no improvement. Flow was increased by 15-20% but no substantial difference.

Took those out, sold 'em and bought flamethrowers. These have made a difference! You know how most people have a "boost" in power at around 2800 RPM where you feel the truck start to pick up? With the flamethrowers it changes the power curve and I get that "boost" at around 1700 RPM. Less throttle for more power. I'm really happy with them.

Granted though, I've got a modified air intake and cat-back exhaust so my truck can pass through a lot more air than a stock one. In order to keep air/fuel ratios closer, a stock truck may not get as great of performance from the injectors as mine but others have also reported better power. Some have also stated higher MPG's but mine didn't change at all.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 09-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:13 AM

Waiting to install along with knock sensor wire and valve cover gaskets.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Been running them for 3-4 months, runs smooth and good power. No emissions test here, so thinking about gutting the cat so this thing can breathe a little better. She's got new heads and fuel pressure reg & damper, but 310K mi, It needs all the help I can give it.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:28 PM

They won't run in my Runner for some reason, can't figure why, but they don't.

Tried 2 sets, they run WAY too rich, put my old Denso's in and it ran much better.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:15 PM

I dont know to much about toyotas... i have a 91 toyota pickup dlx. was wondering if these flamethrowers will fit my truck? thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM

i have the orange set (same flow rate as stock) and i'm real happy with them. a little more grunt (torque) in the mid-range and 3mpg improvement. climbing hills is no longer a struggle. gotta get my emmisions done, tomorrow probably so we'll see if they still allow me to pass. i'm sure they will just fine though.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by TNyota
Been running them for 3-4 months, runs smooth and good power. No emissions test here, so thinking about gutting the cat so this thing can breathe a little better. She's got new heads and fuel pressure reg & damper, but 310K mi, It needs all the help I can give it.
i gutted my cat a couple years ago when it wouldn't clean up the exhaust enough for me to pass emissions and i had to buy a replacement. i ran it for a while and came to two conclusions.

1. no extra power whatsoever, if anything it felt like it lost some torque down low. this disappointed me.

2. it sounded like garbage. the big hollow opening inside the cat gave it a tin can ˟˟˟˟ sound.

now, i'm by no means a hippie who's gonna tell you how you're polluting everyones air, however this is exactly what you'll be doing. but, if it doesn't add power, and it sounds like ˟˟˟˟, then there really isn't any good reason to do it. plus, after you find out the scrap yard will give you $50 for a factory cat, you feel real dumb about dumping the insides in a trash can. i did.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by big bear
They won't run in my Runner for some reason, can't figure why, but they don't.

Tried 2 sets, they run WAY too rich, put my old Denso's in and it ran much better.
Did you let it run a while with them in? It takes the engine 5 or so cycles (up to oper. temp) to adjust the fuel trim and air/fuel ratio.

You could also try and adjusting the cog in your VAFM to run leaner. I used to be a staunch opponent to it until I did it when I swapped for the larger Supra one. But that might be more than you are willing to do. Odd that it's not adjusting correctly but it took a long time for me.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
Did you let it run a while with them in? It takes the engine 5 or so cycles (up to oper. temp) to adjust the fuel trim and air/fuel ratio.

You could also try and adjusting the cog in your VAFM to run leaner. I used to be a staunch opponent to it until I did it when I swapped for the larger Supra one. But that might be more than you are willing to do. Odd that it's not adjusting correctly but it took a long time for me.
Only ran them 3 cycles up to operating temp.

Please clarify VAFM, I'm a little behind on abbreviations.

Thanks Game.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Hey Game.

Your exhaust is 2 inch entering the Cat and 2 1/4 exiting, is that right ?
What's the model# of your muffler ?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Inu

Ive got the grey tops, before the swap id lean out up top. Had to adjust the vafm quite a bit but now i dont lean out. Isr delete, kn dropin(gets dirty to quick in the desert), cam regrinds, and a turndown after the cat. Still a dog but its holding gears so much better.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by big bear
Only ran them 3 cycles up to operating temp.

Please clarify VAFM, I'm a little behind on abbreviations.

Thanks Game.
Volume Air Flow Meter, the sensor that reads the air intake.

Give you truck more time to adjust. 3 cycles wasn't enough for me, took more like 6. These ECU's are slow to adjust.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:51 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by oldblue
plus, after you find out the scrap yard will give you $50 for a factory cat, you feel real dumb about dumping the insides in a trash can. i did.
I'm pretty sure the online cat buyback folks will give you $150 to $180 for our cat depending on metal prices (currently falling)...

Also, old blue, you got a 3mpg gain from the flamethrower orange ones!? That's a 15-20% gain for these trucks!

A lot of folks are having problems with the newly released Bosch ones (they run 8% richer for both the 3vze and 22re), so if having a wideband 02 for setting proper stoich and/or running a Supra AFM (and possibly some other intake mods too to get to at least +8% more airflow over stock) to get more air (either way, you ahve to adjust the AFM), you might be able to get away with the Bosch, but otherwise, they seem to put out more fuel than the ECU can properly adjust. Which might be why they get mixed reviews on mpg gains, especially considering that 3vzes run on the rich side in stock configuration anyways...

Here's the youtube on the orange:

And the black Bosch:

Bosch appear to atomize better, I just question how much gain you're getting form Bosch over the orange ones Flamethrower is selling. For example, if stock to orange is 50% better, how much more gain are you getting from the Bosch? 3, 5, 10, 20% And is that gain in MPG or add'l power? Etc.

Last edited by RSR; 09-19-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:56 PM

i was getting on average 15 non highway, now i get 17.5-18 non highway. i don't drive the interstate much so havent seen how good i can get there. i tried the silver bosh injectors first, and i didn't even pull out of my garage, the truck ran like pure ˟˟˟˟. my eyes watered it was running so rich. but with the orange, it runs like never before.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 PM

and it seems from several threads on here, our trucks dont like the silver ones. so, i'm not alone there.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 PM
RSR

Shared my thoughts on orange vs black over here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post52123732

Conclusion was orange looks to be as good if not superior in some respects to the orange...
Old 09-30-2013, 11:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll admit I'm running a 22re, but was better than 20mpg with the stock injectors on my '91 2wd automatic trans truck, and near 25mpg in my 4" lifted '88 4Runner and near 33" tires with stock gears carrying about 500# crap in the back.

So, what are these for... really?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Better throttle response and possibly a few more ponies, no dyno to prove it though. Some have reported better MPG's too, but only some.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM

Are the orange ones even available anymore? Their site doesn't suggest that they are... :confused:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If You Run Flamethrower Injectors In Your 3VZE